Rationality may not be the key to atheism

In my case, I’m angry with the text they used, or rather the fact they used the lame text, to keep my mother and me with an abuser until I managed to call 1-800-RUNAWAY one day, right in front of the principal’s office, skipping class to talk to them. Long story short, after a Juvie officer and a Social worker came to our home, asking if we wanted to press charges with my sire (the culprit) answering “NO”, my mother said she was told, if she didn’t get me out of there, the State would take me away from her. We left and in the end, my grandfather informed me, “We have you away from him. God will take care of him.” I angrily said, “GOD?! What about man’s law?” He gave me that look that said there would be no further disputing the head of house’s (my grandfather after that) rules, because Christ is the head of the house and we went by His rules. Confused yet? No man can serve two masters, but yet the females of the house, much obey the man of house and God. My grandfather ruled my mother’s house 2 hours drive away even after we moved out of there. Not only that, he ruled from the grave (so to speak), but when I moved out of my mother’s home at 19, who said the day I moved out, “I am your mother. You will mind me even if you have your own place!” Which was my grandfather’s rules, of course. I didn’t play that. The day he died was when I was giving birth to my first son. My grandmother said didn’t want me to know until after the funeral, because she “didn’t want any Black boy and Black baby at her husband’s funeral.” Not sure where the last came from, but I’m sure my grandmother could come up with a Bible verse, probably much like those who tried to fight interracial marriage until 1967. Religion is abusive, hateful (to self and others), racist, misogynistic, patriarchal, and more.

It’s not about who harms who.

The most vocal atheists are probably psychologically different from most people and they just have difficulty fitting in to society. That’s why they’re resentful.

Loss of patience with the religion one grows up with is one thing. Anger with abusive family is another thing. Many people go through that and don’t become anti-religion. There is something different in the psychology of the most hardcore atheists which puts them at odds with the rest of humanity and that is why they’re angry.

What are they resentful of?

What was the face for? I’m not sure what you mean by it. Are you made because of what I said or mad because it’s true?

Yeah, and it basically boils down to the fact that the thought of a personal god, who’s watching over us and expects endless worshipful drivel is pretty dang unhinged from the actually reality of our collective lives here on Earth.

And also there’s the fact that if such a God, as the one described in the Bible were real - it’s someone we won’t have anything to do with - because the p¶∞¢k is as vicious and petty as the only most depraved of humans.

Wouldn’t want anything to do with “him”, though given what I’ve witnessed this past half century, if you could summons him up that Abrahamic God, I’d be happy to give him one hell of a tongue lashing. But God is your self-serving fantasy so, their’s that.

LOL, because it’s true! You put it starkly and it reminded me of olden days when my family was one of two atheist families in a small 99% Christian town.

My mother was a very modern woman and used to wear slacks. One day we were shopping and one of the town preachers chided her in public; “who do you think you are, wearing pants in public”.

My mother retorted: “who do you think you are wearing skirts in public”. He had no answer and slithered away.
Oh, what sweet revenge!

1 Like

Not fitting into society.

Oh gosh, someone made a perfect song for that.

1 Like

Published: 02.05.2017

Christian Identity is a religious ideology popular in extreme right-wing circles. Adherents believe that whites of European descent can be traced back to the “Lost Tribes of Israel.” Many consider Jews to be the Satanic offspring of Eve and the Serpent, while non-whites are “mud peoples” created before Adam and Eve. Its virulent racist and anti-Semitic beliefs are usually accompanied by extreme anti-government sentiments. Despite its small size, Christian Identity influences virtually all white supremacist and extreme anti-government movements. It has also informed criminal behavior ranging from hate crimes to acts of terrorism.

==================
Here’s some interesting reads by Christians for Christians.

You see where I’m going with these very quick examples: the weird circuitry says that God’s heroes stopped sin by slaughtering God’s enemies. Maybe you also noticed what I did there: The Egyptians and the Moabites were the enemies of “our people.” That’s what was preached.

With the slip of a few words, images, and brain synapses, we imaged ourselves , fervently, as ancient Israelites. So, when Joshua fought the battle of Jericho, that was us , marching around the city and killing every man, woman, child, and animal. When Jael pounded a tent peg into Sisera’s brain, that was our gutsy act of faith.

That’s how we get to the place where a devout, church-going, Bible-reading, prayer-offering, Jesus-talking man imagines the work of God is best done with Rambo-Trump as president. A flat, unnuanced, literal reading of the Bible tells him so. This is why Donald Trump was so quickly and easily embraced by Christians. People say, “Oh, I don’t like how Trump talks, and I know he’s an awful person, but he sure does good things.” These people would vote for Samson for president.

We desperately need to rewire the motherboard with Jesus. The era of Moses, Jael, David, and Samson is over. Those people have been replaced and surpassed by Jesus, the Good Samaritan of the world, who stoops down to tend the wounds of the weak and who carries them to safety. It is Jesus who stands in defense of a sinful woman about to be executed under Mosaic Law. It is Jesus who taught that anyone who speaks with cruelty to another person is in danger of the fires of hell. Jesus says love your enemies and pray for them.

In a nation where gun sales are at record highs and people are digging up the shrink-wrapped weaponry in their backyards because they have been stoked into frenzy by Trump’s racial fury, we do well to remember Jesus speaking, as if calming the waves of the sea, to the wild-eyed, sword-brandishing disciple in Gethsemane, saying, “Put your sword back in its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.” (Matthew 27:52) Jesus said he could call down armies of angels if he needed or wanted armies to accomplish his mission. He rejected the idea that he was leading an earthly rebellion: “My Kingdom is not from this world.” (John 18:36). In contrast to Samson, when Jesus humbled himself and laid down his life, he saved sinners. …

==================

CAREY NIEUWHOF

1. Judge

It doesn’t take long for non-Christians to tell you how much they hate the way Christians judge other people.

2. Be Hypocritical

There’s a word for Christians who say one thing and do another. The word is hypocrite.

It’s far easier to call someone else a hypocrite than it is to admit you’re one.

3. Stink at Friendship

Friendship is hard.
Perhaps the first obstacle between non-Christians and Christians is that relatively few Christians actively pursue meaningful friendships with people who don’t share their faith.

======================

Why Do They Hate Us?

Race, Christian nationalism, and white Evangelical alienation from America.

David French

Dec 20, 2020

"… But there’s also a less comforting—and also quite true—answer to the question, “Why do they hate us?” There is a growing cultural divide between white Evangelical America and much of the rest of the nation that has nothing to do with Christian faithfulness.

No, I’m not talking primarily about Donald Trump. Support for the president is a symptom, not the disease. Instead, I’m talking about race, immigration, history, and the vast and growing gulf between white Evangelicals and the rest of the United States on issues that dominate so many American hearts.

Last month, the University of Virginia’s Institute for Advanced Studies in Culture published a report called Democracy in Dark Times that was designed to take a deeper look at the different beliefs and motivations of red and blue America. Its findings regarding white Evangelicals were startling. Evangelicals, it said, were emerging as the “cultural other”: … (whole thing is worth the read.)

2 Likes

Basically, Xianity is a cult, but it’s not labelled as a cult because the majority are Xians and it would be insulting [to Xians] to group it with other cults.

As for the threat chart, I’m on the fence with the police, but pretty much on the Progressive Partisan side.

Christians are normal. Atheists are not. It’s as simple as that.

Yes, I just cannot understand why atheists do not worship God. It’s been proven that God listens to every prayer even if they are not in God’s grand plan or made on Sunday, God’s day off.

Theism is the only rational way to view the existence of the Universe.

Just a moment… :face_vomiting:

Sorry 'bout that. Involuntary irrational reaction.

1 Like

Interesting that polarization is top and center. We all agree that’s a problem

1 Like

You’re a funny fella.

This is what Tunnel Vision looks like.

I prefer something with a bit more panorama.

That picture feels good!!!.. image

1 Like

Most theists don’t see whatever god they believe in as some wish-granter who just didn’t hear them when things don’t go their way. Faith is much deeper than that. The religious understand there are good times and bad times in life, whereas atheists have difficulty accepting that because they’re more cerebral, less emotional.

Bottom line: humans evolved to believe in the supernatural. We did not evolve to be strict rationalists. Some individuals are naturally strict rationalists but they are psychologically unusual. And theists do better in life than atheists.

Nice recitation of the whole narrative.

On this point, I’ve heard many athiests cite the facts of how fickle and arbitrary the world is as their reason not believing in a grand plan by a creator. For me, acceptance of this was very freeing.

1 Like

Met a new philosopher this evening, one that impresses me.
Julian Baggini on “Closer to Truth” “is Consciousness an Illusion”

Considering all the nonsense people speak about consciousness, this made a lot of sense to me. It’s nice to see now and then.

Then I did a little more fishing a turns out he’s said some very interesting about atheism, so seems to fit right in here.

1. Was especial keen.