Public opinion topples a church billboard quoating Hitler

I still wonder what kind of WTF moment hit those who originated the billboard.

"We are pulling the billboard and certainly never intended to cause confusion. ... (Former U.S. president) Herbert Hoover would have been a far better one to quote when he said, 'Children are our most valuable resource,'" Life Savers Ministries founder James Anderegg told the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer newspaper.
Ya think? Who'd a thunk quoting Hitler to support children would be a bad idea?

This is one of those things that really shows the difference between the way things are and should be. I guarantee, many of the folks complaining, in any other venue, would say “hey don’t shoot the messenger, it’s the message that’s important”. It’s what I call “Hitler Loves Puppies” dilemma. What if the billboard said: “Puppies are cute” - A. Hitler, followed by “Support your local pet shelter”. So what are we saying here? Since it was Hitler saying it, therefore Puppies AREN’T cute and you shouldn’t support your local shelter? The truth of the statement shouldn’t depend on who’s making the statement. That’s the way things should be, but obviously in reality one couldn’t even put up the fake puppy billboard.

This is one of those things that really shows the difference between the way things are and should be. I guarantee, many of the folks complaining, in any other venue, would say “hey don’t shoot the messenger, it’s the message that’s important". It’s what I call “Hitler Loves Puppies" dilemma. What if the billboard said: “Puppies are cute" - A. Hitler, followed by “Support your local pet shelter". So what are we saying here? Since it was Hitler saying it, therefore Puppies AREN’T cute and you shouldn’t support your local shelter? The truth of the statement shouldn’t depend on who’s making the statement. That’s the way things should be, but obviously in reality one couldn’t even put up the fake puppy billboard.
That statement would definitely fly if the billboard read "Cuthbert loves puppies". Add Hitler to ANY statement, positive or negative (if Hitler actually made a positive statement that wasn't tainted by his party's propaganda) and you come up with a negative. Even Americans who are by in large ignorant of World History know the name and what it connotes. They would have been better off using the tried and true "Jesus" aphorisms. At least he didn't exterminate his own people. Cap't Jack
This is one of those things that really shows the difference between the way things are and should be. I guarantee, many of the folks complaining, in any other venue, would say “hey don’t shoot the messenger, it’s the message that’s important". It’s what I call “Hitler Loves Puppies" dilemma. What if the billboard said: “Puppies are cute" - A. Hitler, followed by “Support your local pet shelter". So what are we saying here? Since it was Hitler saying it, therefore Puppies AREN’T cute and you shouldn’t support your local shelter? The truth of the statement shouldn’t depend on who’s making the statement. That’s the way things should be, but obviously in reality one couldn’t even put up the fake puppy billboard.
That statement would definitely fly if the billboard read "Cuthbert loves puppies". Add Hitler to ANY statement, positive or negative (if Hitler actually made a positive statement that wasn't tainted by his party's propaganda) and you come up with a negative. Even Americans who are by in large ignorant of World History know the name and what it connotes. They would have been better off using the tried and true "Jesus" aphorisms. At least he didn't exterminate his own people. Cap't Jack
One of the comments said nobody could be that clueless, but he's wrong. These are hillbilly bible thumpers we're talking about. Of course they're clueless! Their brains have bern fried by religious indoctrination. It's what happens. Lois