Pruitt: Bible says ‘harvest the natural resources’

BY TIMOTHY CAMA - 02/22/18 http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/375148-pruitt-bible-says-harvest-the-natural-resources Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) head Scott Pruitt said his desire to use the Earth’s resources like oil and coal is grounded in the Bible. In an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network published Thursday, Pruitt spoke about how his Christian views inform his views on the environment and environmental policy. “The biblical world view with respect to these issues is that we have a responsibility to manage and cultivate, harvest the natural resources that we've been blessed with to truly bless our fellow mankind," he told CBN’s David Brody.

Yeah, pretty much right in Genesis, if one extends “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground” to mineral resources.
I think, though, that too often we see people interpret this in their own interests and discard the strong implication of responsible dominion in this passage.

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) head Scott Pruitt said his desire to use the Earth’s resources like oil and coal is grounded in the Bible.
That's just a plain LIE
Yeah, pretty much right in Genesis, if one extends "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground" to mineral resources. I think, though, that too often we see people interpret this in their own interests and discard the strong implication of *responsible* dominion in this passage.
I reread Genesis and it says nothing about minerals, I see nothing about drilling oil and mining coal in that biblical exerpt. It speaks only of things that live on the surface of the earth (and in water) Perhaps it should have said that the earth itself is not to be touched. Now that would be evidence of a forward looking "mind". As it stands , we are free to destroy all life as well as the earth itself. Goodie, goodie for us.

Hence why I said “if one extends”.

Over at my blog I received what I think is an excellent insightful observation:

1mikerisk said... As a foreigner, I look with horror on what is happening in the US. As an atheist, I look with amusement at how the Bible is being manipulated. There is a critical mis-translation in Ch1, Genesis. We are not given "dominion over" the Earth, we are given "custody of Earth." Think Pruitt knows this?
I added the highlight. This Is What Democracy Looks Like - Breen Land Use Code Community Meeting https://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2018/03/this-is-what-democracy-looks-like-breen.html
Over at my blog I received what I think is an excellent insightful observation:
1mikerisk said... As a foreigner, I look with horror on what is happening in the US. As an atheist, I look with amusement at how the Bible is being manipulated. There is a critical mis-translation in Ch1, Genesis. We are not given "dominion over" the Earth, we are given "custody of Earth." Think Pruitt knows this?
I added the highlight. This Is What Democracy Looks Like - Breen Land Use Code Community Meeting https://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2018/03/this-is-what-democracy-looks-like-breen.html
Spot on, IMO.
Hence why I said "if one extends".
Well, we can fundamentally "extend" everything.