PROOF: Judeo-Christian Bible Inspired of God

Unlike the bibles of other religions, there is EVIDENCE the Judeo-Christian Bible was divinely inspired by Jehovah. Not only does it contain almost 2,000 accurately fulfilled prophesies, but Bible writers had special information that was not discovered by scientists and explorers until centuries later. Below are two such examples.

1. The Prophet Isaiah gave a viewpoint description of how earth appears from outerspace and did it at a time in history when humans were earthbound. Notice below.

“There is One who is dwelling above the CIRCLE of the earth, the dwellers in which are as grasshoppers, the One who is stretching out the heavens just as a fine gaze, who spread them out like a tent in which to dwell,” (Isaiah 40:22)

Isaiah’s viewpoint description–of a circular earth, when viewed from outer space–was not confirmed or proven until the 20th century, when astronauts were able to view earth from space. In effect, Isaiah, who was earth bound at the time of his writing, gave a viewpoint description that was almost 3,000 years ahead of his time.

2. Similarly, it was not until 1687 that Isaac Newton published his theory that gravitational forces are the explanation behind the earth’s stability. More than 3,000 years before Newton’s existence, under divine inspiration, Moses wrote the viewpoint description that, when viewed from outer space, earth appears to be hanging upon nothing (indicating invisible gravity), as follows:

“He [God] is stretching out the north over the empty place, HANGING THE EARTH UPON NOTHING;” (Job 26:7)]

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:

1. How could Isaiah have known that the earth is circular when viewed from outerspace, considering that the writing of the book of Isaiah was completed in 732 B.C.E. —more than 2,700 years BEFORE astronauts in the 20th century confirmed that earth appears like a circle when viewed from outer space?

2. How did Moses know that the earth appears to hang upon nothing, indicating invisible gravity, considering that the book of Job was completed in 1473 B.C.E. and it wasn’t until 1687 AD/CE that Isaac Newton published his theory about gravitational forces—3,160 years AFTER Moses wrote that the earth hangs in space with no visible means of support?

3. Where did Isaiah and Moses get this information?

Alter2Ego

“That people may know that you, whose name is JEHOVAH, you alone are the Most High over all the earth.” ~ Psalms 83:18

No, the Bible was not inspired by God. It was inspired by very human writers and the “prophet” Isaiah is just a character in a story.

How does any character in a story know anything? It’s because the writer allows it or rather, the author uses various literary tools to tell a story. Even back then the writers used literary tools of which you could learn about in a Literature of the Bible class. They’re just stories, even Midrash, which a rabbi could also explain.

Alter, your counterpart amongst Muslims would have an extraordinarily similar speel about the Koran.

And I could come up with a speel touting the Prophet Jules Verne, about the various technologies that he described in books before those technologies ever existed. Praise Jules Vernes’ miraculous existence and power of prophesy!!!

Lost it, yuck. That’s what I get for editing

Not only are they just stories, they are stories by people that lived a reality we can’t conceive.

Story telling is all they had to make sense of a world that was more mystery than not to them.

Dark skies, huge landscapes, long cold nights, familiarity with hunger in a way we can’t comprehend. Harsh storms, ever been near lightening strikes, lordie lord, talk about feeling the presence of god, survive a few of those, add in a few more adventures, a flash flood or two, a little dreaming within an especially bright observant brain, of course people will come up with sacred stories. Just cause some have more lasting power than others, doesn’t make them any more ‘real’.

Me, I keep wondering how can modern people kid themselves into thinking they can interpret these tribal stories that were written for lives and circumstances we can’t fathom?

Alter2Ego said :

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:

1. How could Isaiah have known that the earth is circular when viewed from outerspace, considering that the writing of the book of Isaiah was completed in 732 B.C.E. —more than 2,700 years BEFORE astronauts in the 20th century confirmed that earth appears like a circle when viewed from outer space?

Indeed, how could they have known except by imagination. No one claims that any mythological figures who actualy existed were stupid. These were the musings of very intelligent people, who were very logical. Unfortunately , their logic was based on a false premise that Natural events are the workings of sentient overlords in one guise or another. Even before then many smart people believed in many gods. All the way back to the appearance of early hominids who believed in magical gods who ruled Nature from above.

They were more like the first astronomers who tried to imagine the solar system. Remember that Aristotle (350 BC) and many other budding scientists in times long past also wrote deep and profound observations. But they imagined a slightly different universe than the early mono-theists. They looked at the Universe as mathematical patterns of elements, becoming expressed as our physical reality. Kinda magical, but it requires no motivated intent from an external (supernatural) existence.

2. How did Moses know that the earth appears to hang upon nothing, indicating invisible gravity, considering that the book of Job was completed in 1473 B.C.E. and it wasn’t until 1687 AD/CE that Isaac Newton published his theory about gravitational forces—3,160 years AFTER Moses wrote that the earth hangs in space with no visible means of support?

Biography of Isaac Newton, Mathematician and Scientist

That is a totally false equivalence, and not even true . Isaac Newton published his theory of gravity, complete with the values and mathematical functions of how and why this works in 1687. Moses had never even had to provide evidence at all. The Ten Commandments had nothing to do with astronomy.

3. Where did Isaiah and Moses get this information?

Ok, I’ll bite, where did they get their information? By direct communication from God to Isaiah and Moses? Does not say anything about that does it? Oh, I forgot the story of Noah’s arc, to save his lifestock in case of severe flooding. He lived in an old flood plain.

IMO, they were smart men engaged in profound speculations based on available information, which was mainly word-of-mouth heresay from then known history and mythology. Even religions themselves are subject to evolutionary processes. All the little gods are slowly being replaced by fewer, more powerful, creative gods, until there was only One who works indistinguishable from modern scientific mathematical values and functions. All natural miracles described in the bible are explainable in the language of physics, with out any necessary attachment of “motivated intent” as required by theism. In a natural mathematical universe, god is redundant.

Example: The Pontifical Academy of Science, with many great scientists on their board has concluded, and Two Holy Popes have accepted their findings, that evolutionary processes have been persuasively demonstrated and that Darwinian Evolution is True, thereby debunking “irreducible complexity” and “intelligen design” as described in the OT.

Where did the Pontical Academy of Science get their information?

Think about the implications of that simple statement which renders the story of Genesis moot as a product of sheer imagination and relegates it to the realm of mythology, with some “common observational facts”, which would be true prima facie, such as “something” (a god) made things happen in the sky above to cause a thunderstorm. But we know for a fact that a thunderstorm is a purely electro-magnetic cloud phenomenon, that needs no “intentional motivation” to punish mankind with thunder, lightning, and rain , all originating from “above”.

The Isaiah writings saying the earth appears as a “circle” is nothing like saying the earth appears as a Sphere or Ball or round orange. A flat earth would still look like a circle. Without science, most religionists would still believe the earth is flat.

The Job writing saying the earth appears to hang on nothing does not indicate Job had a clue of any kind that in reality, the earth is held in orbit by gravity and other cosmic forces. Job, or Moses as you claim, knew only what he saw, nothing.

Good point, Poli-sci.

If almighty Jehovah wanted to divulge something about Earth as a planet in space, how come it was such a subtle clue as to be virtually meaningless for 2000 years until the info was independently discovered by more science minded folks. And then, wah-lah! in retrospect it means something that could not have been known before.

Did your divinity training include courses in flim-flam, Alter?

I hear this argument all the time from my Jehovah’s Witness friend. No, the Bible is in no way “accurate” when it comes to science or understanding of the universe. You read these passages with the knowledge you now have and yeah, they kind of match. Google “ancient depictions of Earth” and choose “images”. This description matches literally every picture from every ancient culture you’ll find. Even the world on the turtle shell is a “circle” from above. But the world actually ISN’T a “circle”, it’s a sphere. So it’s divinely inspired, but got the geometric shape fundamentally wrong? That description is missing a full third of the actual dimensions of the Earth.

As for it “hanging on nothing”, go out side and look up. Do you see anything up there it might be hanging from? If I were to have a guess at the question, “What is the Earth hanging from” my guess, even as an uneducated bronze age sheep herder, would be “nothing”. What do you think your guess would be? The sun? The moon? A star? All of those move, so none of those can be the answer. What else do you see up there? “Nothing”. As far as “prophecy” goes it’s a little underwhelming.

This is classing apologetics. You claim it as “proof” that Isaiah said the Earth was a circle and then come up with an excuse for why he didn’t say sphere, the actual, correct answer. Let me have a guess on that one. God showed it to him, but he had limited understanding, so he saw it as a circle, right? God didn’t really give him a good enough look so that he could see it rotating? He had to cover one eye to prevent his primitive head from exploding so he had no depth perception? Maybe God just drew him a picture? How, exactly, did God “inspire” the wrong answer?

This is where apologetics irritates me. God is either perfect or he is not. Yet apologists say he’s perfect but depict him as flawed all the time, a perfect God unable to convey a basic geometric shape without losing an entire dimension in the translation.

Try to look at it from my perspective. There is always a “very good reason” why I am wrong and you are write and everything proves absolutely everything you believe is true and absolutely everything I believe to be false. Always. I could show you anything in the Bible which contradicts you and you will always find a reason I am wrong. For example, the Bible condones slavery. It goes into great detail about how hard you can and cannot beat your slaves, and the boundary is brutal. If the slave recovers after a day or two you’re golden because “the slave is your property”. That’s not cool! But I’ll get “It was a different time”. AND THEN I’ll get “God is the same yesterday, today and forever”. And somehow those two things, God being unchanging throughout eternity and God saying slavery was okay then, but being against it now, are in no way contradictory. There will always be an excuse why you are right, every single time. And that excuse isn’t always going to be as easy as, “Ah, that’s explained right here in the Bible.” A lot of times you’re going to have to make up that excuse on the spot.

Question; What would happen if god was no longer worshipped and/or prayed to? Would anything change? Would the universe disappear?

Theoretically that would be Hell, by some beliefs. One Catholic I used to work with believed that Hell wasn’t fire and brimstone, it was being separated from God. If people stopped worshiping him completely then he wouldn’t be “here” at all, making the Earth the exact equivalent of Hell by those beliefs.

And the Republican party would shrivel up and die. With no religious single-issue-voters to pander to they wouldn’t have a voter base any more. Well, they’d still have the white supremacists and other racists, but that group isn’t nearly the size.