Natural art

Anyone interested in creating fantastical art by merely using a kitchen collander and several colors of acrylic paint. Watch this and marvel at the finished product. This is how a mathematical universe functions folks.

You say it’s mathematical. But do you deny that a colander is the symbol of belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster deity? Huh? What about that? my friend.

TimB: "You say it’s mathematical. But do you deny that a colander is the symbol of belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster deity? Huh? What about that? my friend."
That's a total checkmate argument. Well done! I've never heard of 'math' doing art, not even finger paining.

There is an obvious godly element to this video- those are clearly noodles in the middle. The FSM is pretty amazing in how he provides such clear proof of his existence (while the other guy is supposed to be “mysterious”… ya right.)

Hehe…

3point14rat said,

I’ve never heard of ‘math’ doing art, not even finger paining.

Well now, that is a sweeping statement and you have it backwards. All art uses mathematical techniques to represent reality or create impressive compositions, from poetry to painting (including finger painting)

I guess you also have never heard of the expression, “Natura Artis Magistra” (nature is the teacher of art).

This is expresssion rests on the necessity of “composition” in accordance to natural mathematical principles. Being that the entire universe is a natural mathematical work of art and all human art is inspired and executed in accordance to universal mathematics all elements of composition rest on the understanding of natural mathematics.

All Art rests on these absolute fundamentals;

The 8 Elements of Composition in Art

https://www.liveabout.com/thmb/WU7vx-yuQTXjFkbFW7pfg83nlvk=/768x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/elements-of-composition-in-art-2577514-final-50ad016bbff54667a13db5f6f797c95d.png

byMarion Boddy-Evans
Updated May 22, 2019

Composition is the term used to describe the arrangement of the visual elements in a painting or other artwork. It is how the elements of art and design—line, shape, color, value, texture, form, and space—are organized or composed according to the principles of art and design—balance, contrast, emphasis, movement, pattern, rhythm, unity/variety—and other elements of composition, to give the painting structure and convey the intent of the artist.

Composition is different from the subject matter of a painting. Every painting, whether abstract or representational, regardless of subject matter, has a composition. Good composition is essential to the success of a painting. Done successfully, good composition draws the viewer in and then moves the viewer’s eye across the whole painting so that everything is taken in, finally settling on the main subject of the painting.

This was the inspiration for my own signature;

“Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.” W4U

Want to know which muse inspires you?

TimB said,

You say it’s mathematical. But do you deny that a colander is the symbol of belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster deity? Huh? What about that? my friend.

No no, in fact it suggests that this was a very creative self-portrait by the FSM, utilizing a perfectly mathematical colander to produce this amazingly creative artistry.

It proves that the FSM has mastered the required mathematical techniques and posesses the tools for painting as well as for use in the culinary arts.

This abstract self-portrait proves the existence of the FSM beyond doubt, but it also proves that the FSM, like all divinely endowed artists is also subject to the mathematical imperatives of the Universe. :slight_smile:

[I can see this evolving into a “What is art” conversation.]

As for ‘math’ doing art, where is there a gallery displaying their stuff? All I see is people using math’s concepts to create their own art. Math appears to be fine with sitting back and taking the credit for their hard work- what a jerk.

Art is personal. I’ve seen things labeled as art that are emphatically NOT art in my mind, yet others claim it to be wonderful, cutting-edge work.

Math is used to create art, but it isn’t a requirement. I’ve had art by my kids on my fridge that brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful, yet it incorporated no math whatsoever.

The universe is run on math. That math leads to things we consider beautiful (even this is very subjective). But nothing natural can be called ‘art’ since ‘art’ is by definition something a human created. So we humans use nature (math) as a guide and tool to create art that appeals to us. That our minds comprehend this math-infused art as ‘good’ is kind of like the anthropic principle regarding our existence: you wouldn’t expect our minds to not appreciate math in art since math is part of the fabric of our universe and ourselves.

Anyways, math can’t paint or play guitar or make a sculpture, so I stand by my statement that “I’ve never heard of ‘math’ doing art, not even finger paining.”

@3point14rat,

You’re not paying attention.

I never said mathematics is the artist. I said “Natura Artis Magistra”, which means “Nature is the teacher of Art”.

As Nature runs on mathematical principles, one can make a case that Nature is the creator of Art by following (using) relative mathematical physical values and constant (repeating) functions. Fractals are a perfect example of repeating self-similar patterns with emergent incredible artistic mathematical constructs. Humans have recognized these natural mathematical constructs and uses mathematical tools to create human art.

You interpreted that as as suggesting that Mathematics is the causal creator, i.e. akin to a God, an Intelligent Designer. It is not.

Mathematics is the tool used by Nature to self-assemble artful (functional) patterns and is the foundation for human recognition and application of mathematics in the creation of human art and descriptive sciences. I’ll agree with the argument that Nature is the ultimate causal creator of natural art.

I also posited my own definition of human art; “Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind”

One functional universal mathematical pattern which becomes expressed in natural spirals and many other self-ordering patterns was discovered by, and named after Leonardo Pisano Bogollo, who lived between 1170 and 1250 in Italy. “Fibonacci” was his nickname, which roughly means “Son of Bonacci”.

Hence the name Fibonacci Sequence, or Golden Ratio, or Golden Mean, an extremely efficient natural mathematical function, from which very beautiful artistic patterns emerge.

That does not mean mathematics is the artist or causal creator of patterns either. Mathematics is the tool of the artist, be it Nature or Human, art is a result of expressed universal mathematical potentials, which humans can use to create human interpretations of natural artistic expressions.

OOPS! I thought you knew I was kidding. Sorry, I sometimes don’t know when people don’t know me well enough to ‘get’ me. TimB made a funny so I thought I could piggy-back on it.

The first comment was me pretending I thought you were saying that math is a thing that intentionally creates art. I know it’s not. My second comment had silly stuff at the beginning and end with my actual comments in the middle (bracketed by the lines.) Maybe in time I won’t be so easily confused with someone who would actually think that math sits at an easel and paints.

Write4U, you’re not to blame for my [lack of a good] sense of humor and inability to communicate well. It may be that I’ll have to resort to using smileys (ugh!).

Just know that I agree with you on most everything you’ve said in this thread and elsewhere in the forums and have long known about (but not fully understood) Fibonacci and the Golden Ratio and the Golden Mean. You’re a smart cookie and it will be rare that I disagree with you on anything substantial.

3point14rat said,

Math is used to create art, but it isn’t a requirement. I’ve had art by my kids on my fridge that brought tears to my eyes it was so beautiful, yet it incorporated no math whatsoever.

“Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.”

Art can be a purely relative associative emotional experience. Is that sufficiently close?

A child itself like all living organisms are emergent natural works of art based on mathematical principles

Well, thank you for that wonderful endorsement. I also agree with just about everything you post . It seems we are empathic in our experience of reality.

I suspected you were teasing, hence the “Hehe”… in post 318175, but it was an interesting observation nevertheless and I responded to that perspective, in case others might actually wonder about that POV. After all, the artist Michelangelo truly believed the FSM was the creator of Adam… :slight_smile:

Sorry, Michelangelo…:frowning:

I like to think that Michelangelo was smart enough to be a Pastafarian if he lived today. It would be insulting him to think otherwise.

Yes, the FSM is a typical Italian God.

Write, Nice Pic!

(3Point, sorry to hear about your fellow Canadians, in the Iranian missile defense/civilian airline catastrophe.

I blame T rump, though I imagine he blames Obama.)

You’d be surprised by the number of practisinfg pastafarians.

TimB:

3Point, sorry to hear about your fellow Canadians, in the Iranian missile defense/civilian airline catastrophe.

I blame T rump, though I imagine he blames Obama.

Trump’s an evil moron.

I agree that his attack on Iran was more to deflect his mindless follower’s gnat-like attention away from all the evidence against him in the impeachment. So he is partially to blame. But Iran is absolutely guilty too.

Check out this article about the tweets by Michael McCain, the CEO of Maple Leaf foods. He’s one of the most outspoken businessman around regarding Trump and the Iran situation (although he doesn’t use Trump’s name, there’s no doubt at all who he is talking about). I think I’ll buy some bacon and sausages on the way home.