Muslims promote Sharia law. Why do Christians not promote their law?

Muslims promote Sharia law. Why do Christians not promote their law?
Some Muslim communities run with Sharia law. Other nations with a high Muslim population promote Sharia. It would seem from this phenomenon that Muslim law can be used to run a society as it does so in a few countries.
I know of no country that uses Christian or biblical law and have not heard of any Christian effort to have their law accepted in their nation.
This indicates that either Muslims are more religious than Christians, or Christians know that their laws would never be accepted as the law of the land.
Meanwhile, the vast majority of nations have rejected both sets of religious laws for a more secular approach to law and governance.
Briefly —
Which of these three sets of laws do you think are superior and why?
Regards
DL

Muslims promote Sharia law. Why do Christians not promote their law? Some Muslim communities run with Sharia law. Other nations with a high Muslim population promote Sharia. It would seem from this phenomenon that Muslim law can be used to run a society as it does so in a few countries. I know of no country that uses Christian or biblical law and have not heard of any Christian effort to have their law accepted in their nation. This indicates that either Muslims are more religious than Christians, or Christians know that their laws would never be accepted as the law of the land. Meanwhile, the vast majority of nations have rejected both sets of religious laws for a more secular approach to law and governance. Briefly --- Which of these three sets of laws do you think are superior and why? Regards DL
Christians have pushed governments to pass laws that support Christian values for millennia, and continue to do so to this day. They are simply not as blatant as Muslims, mostly because Christian influence is mainly in democracies. Christians know they can't demand that Christian law be the law of the land because a democratic population would not support it. So they try to influence voting blocs and individual legislative representatives. They have been successful in countries with established religions. People call for Islamic law in dictatorships where the will of the people carries no weight. Lois

Christians oppose the teaching of evolution in schools or demand that science teachers “teach the controversy.” They also block efforts to legalize same sex marriage, they were the driving force behind Prohibition back in the 20s, they oppose efforts to legalize drugs, gambling, prostitution, and abortion, to name but a few things.
If Pat Robertson thought that he could get away with calling for suicide bombers to go after abortion clinics and gay bars, he’d do it.

Muslims promote Sharia law. Why do Christians not promote their law? Some Muslim communities run with Sharia law. Other nations with a high Muslim population promote Sharia. It would seem from this phenomenon that Muslim law can be used to run a society as it does so in a few countries. I know of no country that uses Christian or biblical law and have not heard of any Christian effort to have their law accepted in their nation. This indicates that either Muslims are more religious than Christians, or Christians know that their laws would never be accepted as the law of the land. Meanwhile, the vast majority of nations have rejected both sets of religious laws for a more secular approach to law and governance. Briefly --- Which of these three sets of laws do you think are superior and why? Regards DL
Interesting question. If "Christian Law" is equivalent to Biblical law - i.e. Levantine cultures' laws, then there has never been a system of law like that legislated in the Western World. If Christian law means the ways of European Christians, then we're talking about something very different. In the Western world, the legal systems are based on Roman, Greek, Germanic, Byzantine, or Saxon traditions; I think the Christian ethos has been bent to these traditions throughout history rather then the other way round. In the Arabic world, the culture and religion come from the same source, they're too intertwined for much difference.
I know of no country that uses Christian or biblical law and have not heard of any Christian effort to have their law accepted in their nation.
No one expected the Spanish Inquisition.

Our greatest weapon is fear, fear and a fanatical devotion to the pope!
Cap’t Jack

Why do Christians not promote their law?
Christians don't have a law. The idea in Christianity is that when a man is made righteous through faith in Christ, meaning his heart is changed to know what is right and do it, then he has no need for a law. Christianity promotes love. When you love God and love your brother, neighbor and even your enemy, then you will do what is right by them. It is my understanding that the inquisitorial system used by the Catholic Church was based on ancient Roman law.
It is my understanding that the inquisitorial system used by the Catholic Church was based on ancient Roman law.
Oh. That makes it OK then. If you really think Christianity promotes love then you need to read your Bible. Yes, parts do promote love. Other parts promote genocide, hating your family and killing fig trees for not producing fruit out of season.
It is my understanding that the inquisitorial system used by the Catholic Church was based on ancient Roman law.
Oh. That makes it OK then. Did I say it was OK? The question was why do Christians not promote their law. In pointing out the Inquisition was based on ancient Roman law, I'm pointing out it was not based on any Christian law. If you think Christianity promotes genocide, hating your family and killing poor, innocent fig trees, you need to reread your Bible.

Mark 11:12-14

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard him say it.
Do I need to reread that part? Or maybe this part? Luke 14:26
If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.
Or this? Matthew 10:34
Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
Have you studied the early history of Christianity? I have. Early Christians fought bloody battles over theological differences. Christian theology exists as it does today because the victors determined the theology. Those victors committed atrocious crimes, including burning to death entire villages. Many of the teachings attributed to Jesus in the Bible predate the Jesus myth by five centuries and more, including the Sermon on the Mount. I studied the Bible when I was younger. That is what led to me losing my faith and studying science and philosophy instead. Darwin had the answers I was seeking in the bible, and philosophers exhibit better moral reasoning than anything found in the Bible or Koran.
Christians have pushed governments to pass laws that support Christian values for millennia, and continue to do so to this day. They are simply not as blatant as Muslims, mostly because Christian influence is mainly in democracies. Christians know they can't demand that Christian law be the law of the land because a democratic population would not support it. So they try to influence voting blocs and individual legislative representatives. They have been successful in countries with established religions. People call for Islamic law in dictatorships where the will of the people carries no weight. Lois You are correct in that democratic nations will only suffer so much religious nonsense. One small glitch that I will not argue here is that all the democracies you see, I call oligarchies. There are no democracies. There likely never was such a thing. Regards DL
Christians oppose the teaching of evolution in schools or demand that science teachers "teach the controversy." They also block efforts to legalize same sex marriage, they were the driving force behind Prohibition back in the 20s, they oppose efforts to legalize drugs, gambling, prostitution, and abortion, to name but a few things. If Pat Robertson thought that he could get away with calling for suicide bombers to go after abortion clinics and gay bars, he'd do it.
The right has to have it's lowest and highest the same as the left does. Secularism is taking the fat middle and most are gravitating to it. Regards DL
Interesting question. If "Christian Law" is equivalent to Biblical law - i.e. Levantine cultures' laws, then there has never been a system of law like that legislated in the Western World. If Christian law means the ways of European Christians, then we're talking about something very different. In the Western world, the legal systems are based on Roman, Greek, Germanic, Byzantine, or Saxon traditions; I think the Christian ethos has been bent to these traditions throughout history rather then the other way round. I cannot agree. In the beginning we care about here, the King ruled over the shaman. In the dark ages, it went the other way. Today. I don't know. My disagreement is based on the testimony of a few women. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqN8EYIIR3g&feature=related Regards DL
No one expected the Spanish Inquisition. But Christians tell me that that was all political. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Xv4mV1BIs Regards DL
Our greatest weapon is fear, fear and a fanatical devotion to the pope! Cap't Jack
Tsk, tsk. What could you possibly have against pedophile protectors. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEeQ3edrMYc Regards DL
Why do Christians not promote their law?
Christians don't have a law. The idea in Christianity is that when a man is made righteous through faith in Christ, meaning his heart is changed to know what is right and do it, then he has no need for a law. Christianity promotes love. When you love God and love your brother, neighbor and even your enemy, then you will do what is right by them. It is my understanding that the inquisitorial system used by the Catholic Church was based on ancient Roman law. Could you love the man who raped you? Don't be silly. Some need to be hated. That aside. I see your view of Christians but if they do become Christ-like, they would denounce their own religion as it is based on human sacrifice and the notion that it is somehow just to punish the innocent instead of the guilty. If Jesus returned, Christian is the last label he would take. Most religion, and especially the Abrahamic cults, promote separation more than rapprochement to other religious groups. Regards DL

All religions which espouse a “Kingdom of Heaven” are incompatible with democracy to begin with.
“I believe in Democracy but my god is my King”? Odd.

Did I say it was OK? The question was why do Christians not promote their law. In pointing out the Inquisition was based on ancient Roman law, I’m pointing out it was not based on any Christian law.
This statement is completely false. The roots of the inquisition began with the Council of Nicea convened by Constantine to sort out the doctrinal differences Among the various bishops who espoused their own views of the divinity of Jesus, and to establish a standard dogma for xtianity. Constantine merely presided over the Council in 325 CE and let the bishops sort it out. Thus began the "heresies" of the Arians and ManIcheans and many others to follow. This in no way had a link to Roman law. Even Constantine declared an end to xtian oppression but did not solidify xtianity as the State religion. That came much later with the Emperor Theodocius. It did however set the stage for the inquisition in the 11th Century and Pope Gregory IX issued a decree demanding secular authorities to persecute heretics by burning at the stake. The Spanish went a step further by creating their own persecution of Jews and dissenters. Pope Paul III In 1542 CE set up an official council to prosecute heretics and this continued through the 17th Century; the Dominican Order was heavily involved. So, even though there was no biblical declaration except the proscriptions for blasphemy (punishable by death, or gathering sticks on the sabbath, same etc.) you can't separate the inquisition from xtianity by mislabeling it's origins. Many people were burned for pubically stating that Jesus wasn't divine or born of a virgin. Cap't Jack
All religions which espouse a "Kingdom of Heaven" are incompatible with democracy to begin with. "I believe in Democracy but my god is my King"? Odd.
If no theology has a democratic heaven then you are right. Are all the religions with a human type God tyrannies? Regards DL
All religions which espouse a "Kingdom of Heaven" are incompatible with democracy to begin with. "I believe in Democracy but my god is my King"? Odd.
If no theology has a democratic heaven then you are right. Are all the religions with a human type God tyrannies? Regards DL You cannot have democracy in a kingdom, it's a kingdom, with a supreme divine ruler who can send you to hell if you've not been good, in His (as translated by priests) eyes. No, I am speaking of the Abrahamic religions/