Miracle of the sun

Not to long ago while I was watching CNN they mentioned a story about a phew children in Portugal that got several visions of the virgin Mary which told them that she would show a crowd a great miracle. So a crowd of an estimated between ten and a hundred thousand people gathered in the village of Fatima and saw what is known as the miracle of the sun (see the wikipedia article for more info) Now the accounts of what they saw vary some say they saw the sun dance and change color other said the sun fell down but got back to its rightful place (they also said the ground that was wet dried up) just before making contact with the earth. The pope have recently canonized 2 of the children and declared it the greatest miracle of all time. Personally I think if there was ever evidence for Christianity this would probably be it. I should say That I am not a christian mainly due to the problem of evil but how could you question what so many people saw?

...but how could you question what so many people saw?
Don't question the validity of the statements of the people from the story, question the story itself because the very basis of the story is absurd. If the sun were to have danced, people other than those at Fatima would have seen it. The ways in which people can delude themselves or simply lie are legion, and a powerful religious setting like this one is a prime candidate for it to happen. I've heard of this story mentioned a few times in discussions with religious people and they all take it as Biblically true, even though there is zero evidence for it. None of them seem capable of thinking about any aspect of it other than the stories told by the masses. It's supports their beliefs and that's all that matters to them. *Edit errors due to my lack of knowledge of the event*
Not to long ago while I was watching CNN they mentioned a story about a phew children in Portugal that got several visions of the virgin Mary which told them that she would show a crowd a great miracle. So a crowd of an estimated between ten and a hundred thousand people gathered in the village of Fatima and saw what is known as the miracle of the sun (see the wikipedia article for more info) Now the accounts of what they saw vary some say they saw the sun dance and change color other said the sun fell down but got back to its rightful place (they also said the ground that was wet dried up) just before making contact with the earth. The pope have recently canonized 2 of the children and declared it the greatest miracle of all time. Personally I think if there was ever evidence for Christianity this would probably be it. I should say That I am not a christian mainly due to the problem of evil but how could you question what so many people saw?
I don't know if it was a mistake or not but this was posted twice. I have deleted the other post since we do not allow multiple postings of the same info. Thanks.

So what do you think really happened? there are photos of the crowd (strangely no photos of the miracle) some of the people fell on their knees.

So what do you think really happened? there are photos of the crowd (strangely no photos of the miracle) some of the people fell on their knees.
I believe it was a bunch of people who claim to see what they wanted and expected to see. Many (most I bet) were simply lying to impress and be part of the 'in crowd'. But the rest were honestly deluded into thinking they saw something, and the more they reflected on it and got excited about it, the more extreme their "memory" became. As for people falling to their knees, even I did that as a youth at a church rally. Don't think I don't know what it feels like to believe you're being touched by the presence of the God.
So what do you think really happened? there are photos of the crowd (strangely no photos of the miracle) ...
What would be strange, amazing even, is if they had photos of the miracle. But since the stupendously over-whelming odds are that no miracle occurred it is to be expected that all the photos from the event would be of things other than miracles unfolding. Mass histeria makes more sense than any other interpretation. For a couple interesting short reads: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/look-it-way/200910/the-miracle-fatima http://www.livescience.com/29290-fatima-miracle.html

Mass hysteria would probably be the most likely explanation although there were people that were several miles away who state they saw the sun change color. As for the prophecy the one in 1941 predicts that Russia would “spread her error throughout the world” Now it was supposedly revealed to her in 1917 but Russia at that was still following the orthodox church. So it most likely refer to communist Russia. Now ass you all know communism spread throughout the world after WW2 but this was written in 1941. How could anyone have Imagined all this?

Obviously this story is total nonsense but I have no doubt there are millions who would like to get their hands on what the people were smoking or drinking.

This gives the history of the children of Fatima, the “messages” and how they were interpreted.