Minimum Wage

When corporate CEO make 300x (+bonuses) over the income of the average worker, they can well afford to pay a few extra dollars, without ending up on skid row.
I agree that they can afford it. But do you really think they will give it up?

That’s what I was referring to earlier, to somehow tie the top pay levels to the rest of the employees pay rates.

Democrats are getting an early start on their tax-increase agenda.

They’ve tucked a trio of little-noticed tax hikes on the wealthy and big corporations into their coronavirus relief package that together are worth $60 billion.

One takes away deductions for publicly traded companies that pay top employees more than $1 million. Another provision cracks down on how multinational corporations do their taxes. A third targets how owners of unincorporated businesses account for their losses.

Interesting snippet that touches on pay inequality and “corporate welfare”

More details inside

https://www.yahoo.com/news/60-billion-surprise-inside-covid-103021622.html

I wasn’t sure what was so amazing about this bill, until I read Heather Cox Richardson’s facebook post this morning. We are returning to the type of government that began with Lincoln, someone the Republicans love to claim as their own. The type of government that helps people instead of making laws that help filter wealth into the hands of a few. Reagan’s tax cut in 1981 got us moving heavily in that direction and Trump almost sent us over the top. The stock market responded positively to yesterday’s vote, but, we’ll see where we are in 4 years. Maintaining economic prosperity is not easy, and Republicans will do everything they can to thwart the effort so they can claim they have a better plan and keep their base voting.

I’m a business owner. Business owners are aggressive fighters; this must be the case for various practical reasons. So when we’re squeezed financially in a no-choice situation, we act and don’t roll over.

That action usually happens in certain ways where employees are concerned and all involve job loss, unfortunately. Either some people are let go and their duties farmed out, some are let go and the remaining people assume more expectations, or some are let go and replaced with capital.

Those ordering kiosks at McDonald’s that began appearing a couple of years ago, for instance - the ones that make the customers do a job that employees used to do? Those weren’t installed for customer convenience and it’s no coincidence they began appearing right around the time the House passed the Raise the Wage Act, and when you started noticing that there’s less people working the counter.

My $.02.

I’m a business owner. Business owners are aggressive fighters; this must be the case for various practical reasons. So when we’re squeezed financially in a no-choice situation, we act and don’t roll over…etc.

Whats the point this post is trying to make if any, reletive to the topic?

@bluecord35 That is called corporate greed and sadly, it’s what gets the CEOs at places like Hellmart and Amazon a million dollars a year. Hellmart is one of the riches corporations and they, like McDonalds, Amazon, etc, can afford to pay all their employees $15-20/hour, a living wage. The CEO doesn’t need a million dollars a year and the employees don’t need to starve. The mentality of businesses, which is greed, really needs to stop, because not even the own needs boo-coo bucks to survive. Everyone needs a living wage. Not everyone needs to make a million dollars or more a year. As for the stupid inflation argument, inflation has been happening despite not allowing the minimum wage to increase. Again, the inflation is more corporate greed, trying to squeeze as much as one can out of consumers. Pretty soon, if things don’t change, people aren’t going to be buying much of anything, because they can’t, but that’s what Capitalists want- keep their workers as slaves, paying them slave wages, while they take everything above starvation. Capitalism has even taken over the U.S. government, insisting laws be made in their favour and not the People’s favour. That’s a sure way to destroy countries. Capitalistic greed is a horrible way to run a business and a country. Pretty soon, businessmen won’t have a business, because people can’t buy their goods with what they are paid or rather not paid.

As for stupid kiosks- my husband and I refuse to use kiosks and those lame self-check out, because they both mean people’s jobs. As for your $.02, it’s worthless. Pennies don’t go very far in this world. In fact, they don’t go anywhere. Long gone are the days one can buy Double Bubble bubble gum for a penny. Again it’s called greed.

@missinggirl

Whats the point this post is trying to make if any, reletive to the topic?

IMHO, to show how greedy capitalism is and how much capitalists don’t give a damn about anything except money. Humans can just drop dead from being overworked, underpaid, and lacking things like food and shelter. Now a days, one can have a job but not be able to afford shelter, at least not without everyone the family working or living with roommates. If you work at Hellmart or worse, McDonalds, you might be living a shelter and working or living with family or friends, with everyone paying rent or if you’re lucky, Government Housing. No can afford to live on what they pay.

@missinggirl This is a post by a business owner in a thread about raising the fed. minimum wage, populated with posts containing mainly one view. I wish to present a different, perhaps contrarian, perspective.

@mriana Should there be another technique to decrease poverty that provides advantages, or at least minimizes consequences, to all involved, I’m all ears.

One that attempts to channel redistribution through employment and doesn’t ignore all of the people outside the workforce during a period of extremely elevated unemployment (which are mainly low‐​wage/​low‐​skill workers.) And that recognizes minimum wage hikes hurt small businesses far more than big ones, who’s owners represent the majority of all business owners and who commonly reside in the average-to-slightly-well-off income category. And that gets around the fact that a wage hike phased in over multiple years is a tacit admission that resulting economic costs from such an action are an inevitable reality.

“This is a post by a business owner in a thread about raising the fed. minimum wage, populated with posts”

It doesnt say anything about min wage, for or against.

@missinggirl

When you’re in any other discussion involving multiple people, does every person specifically mention, by name, the subject of the conversation when offering their views? Or is it taken that, because everyone is assumed to be a thinking adult, their contributions apply to the subject at hand?

Is the stated purpose of this thread to offer a stance on the fed. minimum wage, or a survey asking about such?

I think you’re quibbling to get under my skin in this case and won’t be taking the bait.

My $.02.
That is precisely the amount of tax people with incomes over 15,000,000 would pay on every dollar over and above that base figure.

Their $.02 per dollar over fifteen million. A two percent surtax!

What most people don’t realize is that the very wealthy make most of the income from passive (non-productive) sources, such as interest on money and dividends on investments. This money is effectively withdrawn from circulation and stagnating a dynamic economy. Large Tax breaks for corporations always results in stock buy-back, resulting in a raise of stock prices, a double benefit to the very wealthy.

OTOH the working poor make most of their income from active productive hard labor, such as fast-food service or small mom-n-pop stores. All of that money is immediately placed back in circulation for basic living expenses, expanding a dynamic economy. Yet this demographic relatively pays the highest percentage of income on taxation, without deduction allowance for rent, utilities, transportation, or miscellaneous household expenses, as can be claimed by all corporations that have employees (at minimum wage).

A generous minimum wage has always results in a vibrant dynamic economy where the majority of people has enough money to buy durable goods as well as basic living commodities.

I witnessed an interview with a large rancher, who had received a sizable “economic stimulus” check. When asked if he would expand his business and hire additional help he responded that he was very happy with his current status of size and number of laborers and had no intentions of hiring additional help just to have them stand around doing nothing. When the interviewer followed up with the question if he would do anything with the windfall check, the owner said that he promptly placed in his savings account where it could draw interest.

The greatest financial insult is in distribution of COLA adjustment, which is distributed as percentage of income and not as a fixed amount of actual price increase on basic living cost.

If a COLA increase of $600 in basic living expenses results in a percent 2% increase of basic living costs and is distributed as 2% increase on yearly salary, do the math how it affects the people making $20,000 pr/yr = $400! (-$200)… and people making $200,000 pr/yr = $4000 ! (+3400)…go figure.

That is the reality of “trickle down economics”. By the time the investment has trickled down to the bottom, all that is left is a few drops.

@bluecord35

Should there be another technique to decrease poverty that provides advantages, or at least minimizes consequences, to all involved, I’m all ears.

Yes, raise the minimum wage. It was supposed to be raised when it was first put into place, but Repugs, being paid by Capitalists, decided to practically stop raising it and kept it at 7.25 for years now. People cannot live off 7.25/hour. That is slavery. It should be around $20/hour now if done as it was originally planned. But greedy corporate capitalist want slave labour. Always have wanted slave labour. If they had their way, they wouldn’t pay people at all, but instead, we now have slave wages instead. Anything that causes one to be homeless, yet have a job is slave wages. Not homeless, you say? They would be if not family or friends splitting the rent. No one can live on their own now days. Minimum wage needs to be raised or we have nothing more than legalized slavery.

@write4u Exactly. The rich, business owners, CEOs, anyone making over 15 million don’t pay taxes on every dollar they earn, but everyone else has to pay taxes on every dollar they earn. That’s just not right.

Minimum wage needs to be raised or we have nothing more than legalized slavery.
The perfect Capitalist economy! Has anyone noticed that all the great infrastructures were built on the backs of slaves? I remember Michelle Obama observing that she, a descendant of slaves, actually got to live in the White House which was built by slaves. That must have been such sweet emotion.

Then Trump comes along promising to make America great again…on the backs of an expanded slave pool!

@write4u Exactly! That is what the dotard and his minions want and were trying to do. Kill off as many as they could, even if some of his minions died too, and those who survived the virus, despite damage from the virus, became slaves. Those who managed to not get it, would be slaves too. That was the bottomline, but none of them would call it slavery of course. They didn’t want people catching on, but it is also why the wanted to be dictator too.

That reminds me of one of the most unfortunate aspects of minimum wage hikes, @mriana; people are employable or unemployable only relative to a given pay scale, in my experience.

Workers compete against other workers (not employers) for jobs and the highest wages. Specifically, lower skilled workers compete against higher skilled workers. Employers also compete with other employers to find the best workers.

Low skilled workers who become employable at a low wage become unemployable at a higher wage.

Thus, minimum wage elevation laws hurt the very people they’re designed to help.

@bluecord35

Thus, minimum wage elevation laws hurt the very people they’re designed to help.

No they don’t. That is part of the corporate/capitalist greed lie. You speak like a true greedy capitalist. See you don’t want to pay the wage, so you just fire people so you can hire slave labour and keep the money in your pocket. That’s why so many corporations move overseas because then they can get away with pure slavery and not pay people anything or pay them pennies. They also get away with child slave labour too. It’s all pure capitalistic greed.

@mriana I’ll happily hire people, should the expenditure of funds on the hire be worth it.

And when it comes down to hiring a low skilled worker who received the old minimum wage (and who was the majority employee populating minimum wage jobs) versus a higher skilled worker who is also applying because the minimum wage was just raised by quite a bit, I’ll hire the higher skilled worker, every time.

Then the low skilled worker begins wondering what jobs are left in an economy with far, far fewer jobs than only a year ago.

@bluecord35 Yeah, so you can pay little and keep most of the money the company makes. As I said, capitalistic greed, pure and simple.

@mriana I’ll watch that last comment pass by on the assumption that the average take home salary of small business owners (the majority employer in the U.S.) is information either not readily available, or is available but not factored into opinions about business owners.