Mama's, Don't let your humanists grow up to be soldiers...

Or they may wind up getting 20 years to life in prison, as is the case with Bradley Manning.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/world/humanist-manning-wanted-to-lift-fog-of-war/article4782008.ece
On a lighter note (not really) it has already been determined that he was wrongly imprisoned for 127 days by the military, and those 127 days are to come off of whatever sentence he ultimately gets. If the sentence is life, I wonder whether he gets to choose which 127 days that will be.

I can understand the rationale behind leaking video of airstrikes that killed civilians ( although its a bit naive for anyone to think that the unilateral release of such information from U.S. files without a reciprocal release of similar info from other countries was going to have anything but a harmful effect on his fellow soldiers and citizens) but someone needs to explain to me why the supposed good intentions this naive boy included the release of “74,000 service-members’ personal information and email IDs.”

I don’t think that the program that he used to get the massive amount of downloads, was geared to pick out evidence of military bungles. I imagine that Manning just got everything he could as quickly as he could, and just turned it all over to WikiLeaks.

I think that it is too bad that the atrocities committed in war (both those committed in error and those committed with purpose) are not automatically broadcast to the citizens of the country whose military committed them. I think that most civilians don’t have a clue about what goes on. But then again, most probably don’t want to know.

Meh, I don’t have too much sympathy for him. He seems to have been a massive troll, who’s trolling backfired on him.
I can’t imagine what compelled a guy like that to join the damn Army?!

Maybe humanists should not be accepted for military service.

I imagine many humanists find the armed forces totally unappealing, so it's not like the military has to weed them out, so to speak.
I imagine many humanists find the armed forces totally unappealing, so it's not like the military has to weed them out, so to speak. The military needs humanists, IMO. The world is not perfect. There are people who seek to slaughter others, and dealing with those people requires complex, nasty decisions sometimes. Military-wise, it can mean things such as sending in a missile to take out a terrorist and in the process accidentally killing some civilians. But to be in charge of such exercises, humanists are exactly the types of people one would want.
I imagine many humanists find the armed forces totally unappealing, so it's not like the military has to weed them out, so to speak. The military needs humanists, IMO. The world is not perfect. There are people who seek to slaughter others, and dealing with those people requires complex, nasty decisions sometimes. Military-wise, it can mean things such as sending in a missile to take out a terrorist and in the process accidentally killing some civilians. But to be in charge of such exercises, humanists are exactly the types of people one would want.I can see where you're coming from with that, but it's incorrect, IMO. Humanists don't have the capacity to do what you are describing.
I imagine many humanists find the armed forces totally unappealing, so it's not like the military has to weed them out, so to speak. The military needs humanists, IMO. The world is not perfect. There are people who seek to slaughter others, and dealing with those people requires complex, nasty decisions sometimes. Military-wise, it can mean things such as sending in a missile to take out a terrorist and in the process accidentally killing some civilians. But to be in charge of such exercises, humanists are exactly the types of people one would want.I can see where you're coming from with that, but it's incorrect, IMO. Humanists don't have the capacity to do what you are describing. It's not that they don't have the capacity. Humanists will do whatever they deem is necessary and appropriate to accomplish the best outcome. The problem is that most humanists tend to have very established and well-articulated convictions about such matters, which makes them less malleable to military propaganda techniques than others.
I imagine many humanists find the armed forces totally unappealing, so it's not like the military has to weed them out, so to speak. The military needs humanists, IMO. The world is not perfect. There are people who seek to slaughter others, and dealing with those people requires complex, nasty decisions sometimes. Military-wise, it can mean things such as sending in a missile to take out a terrorist and in the process accidentally killing some civilians. But to be in charge of such exercises, humanists are exactly the types of people one would want.I can see where you're coming from with that, but it's incorrect, IMO. Humanists don't have the capacity to do what you are describing. It's not that they don't have the capacity. Humanists will do whatever they deem is necessary and appropriate to accomplish the best outcome. The problem is that most humanists tend to have very established and well-articulated convictions about such matters, which makes them less malleable to military propaganda techniques than others.Uh-huh. :blank:
I imagine many humanists find the armed forces totally unappealing, so it's not like the military has to weed them out, so to speak. The military needs humanists, IMO. The world is not perfect. There are people who seek to slaughter others, and dealing with those people requires complex, nasty decisions sometimes. Military-wise, it can mean things such as sending in a missile to take out a terrorist and in the process accidentally killing some civilians. But to be in charge of such exercises, humanists are exactly the types of people one would want.I can see where you're coming from with that, but it's incorrect, IMO. Humanists don't have the capacity to do what you are describing. It's not that they don't have the capacity. Humanists will do whatever they deem is necessary and appropriate to accomplish the best outcome. The problem is that most humanists tend to have very established and well-articulated convictions about such matters, which makes them less malleable to military propaganda techniques than others. That's right, especially the ones that are fighting for god and country. They will do everything they're told. They make perfect military cogs. That's why the military pushes religion. They know it encourages people to follow orders unquestioningly, the essence of war and mayhem. .....

Here’s a song we used to sing back in the day: a Buffy St. Marie original.

Cap’t Jack

That's right, especially the ones that are fighting for god and country. They will do everything they're told. They make perfect military cogs. That's why the military pushes religion. They know it encourages people to follow orders unquestioningly, the essence of war and mayhem. .....
Mindless trigger pullers is the last thing the military wants. Today's military emphasizes critical thinking and independent thought and professionalism. And the military doesn't push religion. If anything, political correctness is becoming excessive within the military. It's just that a lot of people in the military happen to be religious is all.
Mindless trigger pullers is the last thing the military wants. Today’s military emphasizes critical thinking and independent thought and professionalism. And the military doesn’t push religion. If anything, political correctness is becoming excessive within the military. It’s just that a lot of people in the military happen to be religious is all.
At least we can agree partially here. The ASVAB test, administered to high school students was created to weed out those who might be considered "mindless trigger pullers" and encourage the students with a high score with college scholarships. Our daughter was once offered one from the Marine Corps; a complete scholarship and entrance to OCS if she chose military service as a career. She didn't, however and got her degree in Biology. But don't be too hasty in stating that the military doesn't push religion. Every base and training area comes complete with a church or cathedral ( the one on Anapolis is absolutely awesome) and pastors, priests, and rabbis abound. Humanists BTW are still fighting for the right to have secular counselors and there have been many posts on the CFI site to attest to this. And as to many military personnel being religious, a lot of it comes from their background. Many, some cite as much as 40% or more have a background in the conservative South where fundamentalism abounds and joining the military is a family tradition plus it acts as a method of training for future jobs. Cap't Jack
At least we can agree partially here. The ASVAB test, administered to high school students was created to weed out those who might be considered "mindless trigger pullers" and encourage the students with a high score with college scholarships. Our daughter was once offered one from the Marine Corps; a complete scholarship and entrance to OCS if she chose military service as a career. She didn't, however and got her degree in Biology. But don't be too hasty in stating that the military doesn't push religion. Every base and training area comes complete with a church or cathedral ( the one on Anapolis is absolutely awesome) and pastors, priests, and rabbis abound. Humanists BTW are still fighting for the right to have secular counselors and there have been many posts on the CFI site to attest to this. And as to many military personnel being religious, a lot of it comes from their background. Many, some cite as much as 40% or more have a background in the conservative South where fundamentalism abounds and joining the military is a family tradition plus it acts as a method of training for future jobs. Cap't Jack
Yes, but that isn't really "pushing" religion so much as just accommodating those who are religious.
Here's a song we used to sing back in the day: a Buffy St. Marie original. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyNLN-cKsp8 Cap't Jack
Love it.
Yes, but that isn’t really “pushing" religion so much as just accommodating those who are religious.
Really LM? Until 1972 chapel attendance was mandatory for all Naval cadets but was declared illegal by Anderson v. laird. Cadets still complain about pressure from chaplains who often recite the prayers before events and due to the subtle pressure from religious officers secular cadets formed a free thought org. Which hasn't as yet been recognized as a legitimate group and there are continuous complaints from freethinkers from the other branches. I'd say that's more than accommodating. Cap't Jack http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/05/24/secular-students-of-the-military-the-naval-academy/
That's right, especially the ones that are fighting for god and country. They will do everything they're told. They make perfect military cogs. That's why the military pushes religion. They know it encourages people to follow orders unquestioningly, the essence of war and mayhem. .....
Mindless trigger pullers is the last thing the military wants. Today's military emphasizes critical thinking and independent thought and professionalism. And the military doesn't push religion. If anything, political correctness is becoming excessive within the military. It's just that a lot of people in the military happen to be religious is all. They do push religion and they've been called on it many times. Why do you think they have chaplains on every base, bought and paid for by the military? Whether the soldiers are trigger happy or trained killers doesnt change the fact that they are in the business of killing people. If any of them had half a brain they wouldn't be in the military and that includes the officers right up to the generals.
They do push religion and they've been called on it many times. Why do you think they have chaplains on every base, bought and paid for by the military? Whether the soldiers are trigger happy or trained killers doesnt change the fact that they are in the business of killing people. If any of them had half a brain they wouldn't be in the military and that includes the officers right up to the generals.
Why wouldn't someone with "half a brain" be in the military? Who is supposed to protect the country? We don't live in a peaceful world, we live in a world with lots of people who want to kill us. In World War 2, it was a maniacal death cult, Nazism, and the Japanese, who in the Rape of Nanking outdid the Nazis in the cruelty department. Then it was the Soviet Union, which was under the atheist religion of communism, which it sought to spread all over the world. Today it's radical Islam. I don't know about you, but I prefer to have intelligent people of good character running the military, not the dregs of society.