Looking for a word that = Self-lying

I’m trying to find a good word that defines the act of lying to oneself.
Self-deception is about as good as I can come up with - but looking for something juicier.
Any word fans out their?

Cognitive dissonance, perhaps?

The word “Christian" comes to mind.

Self delusion

I'm thinking that's probably the set up to start lying to oneself - but not the actual act
Self delusion
I use that a lot, but looking for something more… something better.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Not what I was looking for at all, but the truth in it made me laugh and laugh
I'm trying to find a good word that defines the act of lying to oneself. Self-deception is about as good as I can come up with - but looking for something juicier. Any word fans out their?
Delusion, belief, pretense, wishful thinking, pipe dreams.
I'm thinking that's probably the set up to start lying to oneself - but not the actual act
Self delusion
I use that a lot, but looking for something more… something better.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Not what I was looking for at all, but the truth in it made me laugh and laugh My first thought was MrIntelligentDesign, but the Christians have him out numbered. :-)

How about DIY Lobotomization?

How about delusional? But I guess that totally depends on whether or not you’re mentally ill or a religious fundamentalist.
Cap’t Jack

Deluding oneself. (Probably best refers to the “act” itself).

Well, one can’t really, successfully, lie to themselves and be aware of the truth at the same time. Thus my guess is “repression”.

Well, one can't really, successfully, lie to themselves and be aware of the truth at the same time. Thus my guess is "repression".
I like that . . . but then again... who knows… considering the varied characters that inhabit most of us. . .

While “Self lying” doesn’t necessarily define the word, “denial” certainly has connotations that include lying to oneself

Where is Freud when you need him?

Rotting in an urn lined with sexism and pseudoscience.
Rotting in an urn lined with sexism and pseudoscience. Typical.

Don’t tell me you buy into that psychoanalytic hogwash.

I meant that it is typical that a sex obsessed pseudoscientist would be rotting in an urn when you need him to come up with the word for self-lying. Say what you want about him, he was pretty good at coming up with words that describe certain human thinking processes.

True that. He made up more cooky sounding words than your average fantasy writer.

:lol:
that was good to wake up too. :cheese: