Like, what's is all for man?

You’re seeing “cannabis use disorder” as the social or casual use of marijuana, not the use of the drug every single night in large quantities, which can cause a psychosis. Along with that, is the use of marijuana and other drugs, sometimes at the same time and sometimes one and then the other- Cocaine or Meth to get them going and pot to calm them down, that’s not even including the alcohol they sometimes mix with it. People literally do such stupid things and from what I can tell it is genetic, especially after observing my ex and my son who my ex sired.

Oh come on. The brain controls All emotions.

The original critique was about a warm wet environment not being conducive to quantum processes. That has been researched and resolved.
There are several more questions to be answered, but that is normal with a new science, like microtubules.
Nobody claims they have solved consciousness.

Oh no doubt, seen it myself, after all starting July '79, I did experience Colorado’s last Gold Rush, in Silverton ('78 to 82ish/83ish) with the snow flying outside, and in the bars, which were a buzzing. Definitely saw plenty of damage done between the good times. Seen some beautiful people shrivel up before our eyes, and worse. But, there was also some magic here and there.

It’s sad, how many insecure and hurting people are out there. You know I’ve gone through some rough times, but never hopeless, thanks to the solidity my parents love and discipline instilled in me and all my siblings. Parenting matters.

Had a friend, who kicked heroine, he explained the attraction to me, taking heroine
was like being swallowed up back into mom’s womb. That the heroine provided the oblivion, the blissful numbness of an infant wrapped within mom’s bosom. Satisfying a deep down desperate desire for mom’s love and peace of her embrace. Never had any interest in that, even if I got to watch dudes shooting up.

Cocaine was all over, and women loved it, and I wasn’t the high school goodie two shoes anymore, so what can I say, but, but, I never understood the thrill of it, there was never that ‘click’ for me and it seemed to me a waste of money, so it was easy not to pursue.

During my brief 6 weeks trucking I was introduce to speed, that stuff is disgusting for me, every muscle twitching. Maybe okay, if you were forced to drive that truck when you should have been sleeping, I rather be twitching then driving off a road, but it was no fun and only resorted to it a couple times, and never since. Just not my idea of a good time.

Pain pills, my system don’t like them either, and after my hernia operations I was done with them by the second post operation day. Beside Tylenol seems to do a better job of making the hurt quite down. So I’d wind up with a bottle full of unused pain pills. And Silverton was far away and long ago. There was a time, I’d have been king of the moment and had half a dozen friends pounding on my door, happy to do about anything to take them off my hand.

Ah yeah, Silverton, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

:melting_face:

I agree with all of that, @mriana
And no, the “draw” of addiction to pain pills is not full-fledged addiction, you’re right. But I could feel that that would follow another month or two of taking them.

1 Like

You know, I’m not sure how to take that. I left their father because of his habits when the one with the drug issues was 6 months old. I was a divorced single parent and both boys will tell you, compared to other divorced single mothers, I was a good one (almost an exact quote from my older son) and I did the best I could (younger son adds that). They will both tell you that I was always there for them. The other parent, even though he had visitation rights, never took them and was never there for them. If he did make any arrangements, he stood the boys up and didn’t show. He didn’t even pay child support. The older one wants nothing to do with their father and the younger one, apparently, wants to be just like him (a drug addict?). So who’s to blame concerning parenting? Trust me, it has to be genetic too. It’s not JUST parenting. I worked hard and at the time I was an Xian, praying every night that my sons not get involved with gangs, drugs or crimes. How did that work out for me? (I take no insult to that) It obviously did not and I might as well have been talking to Casper the Friendly Ghost. So don’t tell me about parenting when only one of us was there to take and teach our kids, while the other one was out there smoking crack and never there for his boys and “now he wants to be a father” (says my older son). I worked hard to make sure my sons grew up to be good responsible people, the rest was, IMO, genetics. I just got lucky with one of them being a lot like myself.

1 Like

So, there are people who should not take drugs. I suspect a host of reasons for this, genetics, intent (“Just wanna get high, man!”), home environment, bad friends, and more.

For others like Sam Harris, the writers of Ted Lasso, my wife, me and several of my friends, the introspection and loss of ego that result from psychedelics and the right mindset are profound. And this is not an “everyday” experience just for the sake of getting trippy.

There is a very good interview of Jason Sudeikis by Patton Oswalt that discusses this issue. I also find a lot of Humanist values in their discussion. You can watch the interview by clicking the image at the top of the page HERE

Hopefully as a clinical observation.

It’s not meant as an attack on parents,
circumstance are difficult, parents are also dependent on how they were raised and taught,
and, so on and so on.

We strive to do the best with what we have.

The comment isn’t supposed to raise hackles - it’s simply what kids need. Especially those first years, they are critical because they form the primary lens through which we filter life with. They set us up with life goals, or monkeys on our back.

But that’s not what my comment was about.

Children need loving, engaged “parenting” for healthy development and later ‘prospering’ no matter what the life-style. Not that kids can’t prosper without it, but it’ll always be a struggle with lots of heartache and confusion, if early life was a difficult one.

Lordie knows I wasn’t the best parent, though I tried, but circumstances and immaturity and no support structure, instead dealing with klan rivalries, etc. Then we spend the rest of life dealing the best we can. It is what it is. Hopefully we live and learn.

I was that, but IMO drug addiction has a genetic component to it. It’s not just parenting. Parenting alone isn’t necessarily enough to overcome genetics.

1 Like

“Isn’t enough to overcome.”
Being the key point.

Of course, even “perfect” parenting can be blindsided by genetics, or circumstances beyond control. Today’s modern society and demands makes it near impossible to be an adequate provider & raise kids at the same time.

But all that reality is overlaid upon the reality of the fundamental needs of a baby, if it’s to prosper. After that it’s doing the best we can with what we have.

No doubt, I’ll bet my disinterest in Cocaine or speed, or strong pain pills and such, has some basis in my genetics. My system don’t like them, so I don’t.

Since we’re talking about parents. I started young. It was in the 70s and being a drunk was funny, not taken seriously like it is now. My parents didn’t encourage drug use, and were especially worried about my illegal use, but it’s pretty hard to tell a kid not to, when they were throwing parties in the neighborhood every other weekend. There were five families across the street from us, and by the time I was 30, 3 of those men were dead. My dad managed for another decade, after making some lifestyle changes. Kinda made me think too. I like being physically healthy, and once my mind cleared, I realized experiencing and remembering times with friends, doing fun things, was actually better than doing them high. Huh, grandma was right.

1 Like

I never saw the appeal in doing drugs, especially after learning the side effects, including death, that could happen. Seems like too big of a risk. I’ve never been one to drink until I’m plastered either. Never had the desire to puke my guts up and end up with a hang over like some other friends I’ve seen. To me, having a glass or two of wine is like having a nice treat with my Xmas dinner or birthday dinner, or treat on New Years eve, but nothing more.

I was a roller disco kid in the 70s. I went roller discoing almost every single weekend. I never stopped going to the roller rink until recent years and that’s only because my kids are grown and roller rinks have largely disappeared in my area. Now that was great fun. Too bad kids don’t have that much fun nowadays. Kids today are stressed out from the possibility of an active shooter to have fun.

1 Like

I skip long posts sometimes, but I had a moment of silence to get back to this one. Sorry I made you sad. Not surprised it led you back to the thing that you always think about though. Your comment about ‘knowledge can’t resolve anything’ is some definition of knowledge I’ve never heard before. Knowledge builds on knowledge. We get 99% certain about something then we use it to discover the next thing. We ask more questions.

How do you think you know that your body creates your consciousness? The Abrahamic writers at least had the excuse that they were not aware of how biology actually worked, or how the knowledge came to them, via oral traditions and magical thinking. You however, can actually name the names in the history of evolutionary knowledge. I’m not sure what a “bottom up evolutionary respecting grip” is, but I’m sure it comes from “filling your head” first.

1 Like

I just did a word check and I couldn’t find

So I feel confident that I never said such a thing. Nor implied it either.
And just so no one overlooks I take acquiring knowledge very seriously, may I remind you:

For a better understanding of the factual foundations for these ideas and this “Earth Centrist” perspective I’m trying to share, may I suggest the following.

By: Mark Solms

Brain and the Inner World: An Introduction to the Neuroscience of the Subjective Experience (2002)

The Hidden Spring: A Journey to the Source of Consciousness (2021)

Lectures available on YouTube: “The Source of Consciousness” & “Consciousness and the Mind Body Connection”

By: Antonio Damasio

Self Comes to Mind: Constructing the Conscious Brain (2010)

By: Nick Lane

Oxygen: The Molecule That Made the World (2002)

Life Ascending: The Ten Great Inventions of Evolution (2009)

The Vital Question: Energy, Evolution, and the Origins of Complex Life (2015)

Transformer: The Deep Chemistry of Life and Death (2022)

By: Robert M. Hazen,

Origins of Life (2005) (Great Courses)

The Story of Earth: The First 4.5 Billion Years, from Stardust to Living Planet (2012)

Symphony in C: Carbon and the Evolution of (Almost) Everything (2019)

By: Neil Shubin

Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body (2008)

The Universe Within: Discovering the Common History of Rocks, Planets, and People (2013)

By: David Quammen

The Tangled Tree: A Radical New History of Life (2018)

(Featuring, Carl Woese, Lynn Margulis, Tsutomu Wantanabe, et.al.)

By Sean B. Carroll

The Story of Life : Great Discoveries in Biology (2019)

A Series of Fortunate Events: Chance and the Making of the Planet, Life, and You (2020)

By: Peter Godfrey-Smith

Metazoa: Animal Life and the Birth of the Mind (2020)

By: Ed Yong

An Immense World: How Animal Senses Reveal the Hidden Realms Around Us (2022)

By: Joseph LeDoux

The Deep History of Ourselves: The Four-Billion-Year Story of How We Got Conscious Brains (2019)

By: David Sloan Wilson

This View of Life: Completing the Darwinian Revolution (2019)

Evolution for Everyone: How Darwin’s Theory Can Change the Way We Think About Our Lives (2007)

By: Jim Al-Khalili

The House of Wisdom:

How Arabic Science Saved Ancient Knowledge and Gave Us the Renaissance (2011)

By: James Poskett

Horizons: The Global Origins of Modern Science (2022)

SubAnima - Created by Jake Brown - at YouTube

The Forgotten Piece Of Evolutionary Theory (and why we need it back)

The Problem With Richard Dawkins - Natural Selection Is Kinda Overhyped

Organisms Are Not Made Of Atoms - How NOT To Think About Cells, and a few more

and previously . . .

It’s more like, knowledge can’t resolve everything,
especially when it’s philosophical and theological “knowledge,”
Especially, when that knowledge is incapable of recognizing how utterly self-absorbed it is.

**Well what do you expect? **

It’s as fundamental as it gets, a 101 philosophy lesson before the rest of life can start to make sense, and it’s been getting missed for god only knows why.

I’m pointing out that recognizing the Human Mind ~ Physical Reality divide is the most fundamental observation, of the most fundament duality
and the lynchpin to getting a realistic grasp on ourselves, who we are, along with our place in this universe - our human condition.

How can one possibly hope to understand oneself without understanding one’s own body? Think it can all be accomplished of reading tomes and endlessly debating them in what turns into competition between personalities, and ego driven debate contests, rather than simple fundamental observation and constructive debate and learning.

Are you telling me you’ve never followed up on Mark Solms, or Demasio, all that?
Where else can it possibly be coming from?

The short answer is, because that’s where all the scientific evidence is pointing.

We understand how senses work, we keep learning more about how our brains operate, scientist are filming our brains thinking, and being conscious for crying out loud. What’s missing is some divine space between the tip of the finger and the lightening bolt?

Why should that negate the mass of knowledge we’ve already acquired?

A philosopher creates a contrived challenge build around his contrived parameters, that come from a mind that feels entitled to know everything, and when not, takes license to paint in the gaps willy-nilly according to the intellectual fashion of the moment.

And why does that bother me so much?

Because it inspires the ludicrous notion that reality isn’t real, because somehow we’re entitled to be judge and jury over reality.

That great money making Hard Problem debate about the impossibly of truly understanding human consciousness is what inspires folks walking off the edge of the world with metaphysical thinking, built out of logic, rather than pragmatic knowledge.

Always thinking the next best answer is more important than digesting the mountain of facts we are amassing faster than anyone can absorb them.

What about learning from our genetic relationship to all other animals and our intertwined evolutionary heritage. The DNA evidence makes it clear we are connected and grew out of what develop before, same as it always was. Allowing those facts to soak in makes a world of difference to ones outlook upon life and death. It’s obvious consciousness comes from within the body, the thing does need to communicate with itself or it’s blob of nothing

I challenge you to come up with an alternative for where human consciousness comes from that lines up with the evidence.

You said, “You’ve filled your head with intellectual knowledge that never resolves anything,”

I’ll read the rest of your post some other day

Well, isn’t that the history of philosophy and theology?

What has theology resolved?

What has philosophy resolved?

Physical sciences is another story altogether. Although so long as we’re trapped within that natural human self-absorption, we continue to be hobbled.
What do I mean by hobbled, perhaps most importantly incapable of rationally dealing with the flip side of race of “progress” which looks more like regression in light of world affairs both political and physical.

hope that helps clarify why position.

Sorry, but I’ve been spending past couple years trying to deal with a real life philosopher professor, head of a college department even, who reminds me more of my Lutheran priest catechism teacher, then a rational engaged constructive educator.

1 Like

Any belief you may have had is now gone or at least that’s how it worked with me.

You learned how to think and it help resolve the theological beliefs.

History of religious beliefs solidified the lack of belief. That’s how it worked for me at least. Then again, I wanted the epiphanies those like Tom Harper, Bishop Spong, and other’s had, which led to a lack of belief or a change in how one views the stories. Tom Harper said, “Religion is mythology misunderstood.” However, be careful what you wish for. I walked around in a daze for at least 24 hours when it hit me that religion is just more mythology.

1 Like

So, I think you mis-stated your POV by using “intellectual knowledge”. It came across as anti-intellectual, which I know you are not, but I would not have guessed you meant philosophy or theology. Why you would ask me what theology has resolved, I don’t know. And we’ve argued enough about philosophy that I’m not going try to explain that one again. But, seriously, are you saying Voltaire didn’t have a gigantic impact on the Church and its grip on European thought?

(37) Is Philosophy Stupid? - Richard Carrier - Skepticon 6 - YouTube

1 Like

Well, if you have to go back to Voltaire for your example, I think that kind of underscores my simple impression.

Thanks for trying to keep me honest. :+1:t2:

:v:

Seems to me, you may have shared a written version of that long ago - like one of his blog posts or something.
As I remember walking away noting that Carrier made some excellent points. At least he’s a living philosopher I gotta respect, since he comes across a lot more solid, with a lot less dependence on handwaving and pandering to the crowd than I’ve seen others engage in.

Besides, it’s not like I don’t realize along with being a tradesman, I’m a non-academic philosopher. I should be more careful about transferring my feelings about individuals onto the entire enterprise.

I’ll watch/listen to Carriers talk with interest when I can.

1 Like

Says the guy who constantly harps on Descartes