Jon Stewart

I have mostly only very positive thoughts about Jon Stewart. Mostly. I will just say that I think that his contribution to The Daily Show, IMO, constituted a national treasure. He is not dead and The Daily Show is not dead. But The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is, now, history.
Life changes. Life goes on. That is the way of things. (I say with some sadness.)
Anyone else have anything to say about Jon Stewart?

I’ve been a big fan for years and will miss him on the show.

He was tolerable during the first few years on the show. When he became really famous, I lost interest.

I wish he’d have stayed on until after the election. We really need him pointing out the stupidity of American politics at this time.

It’s one thing to be good at what you do, but he did what very few do, that’s developing others. Carson and Sullivan did that more in the background but he did it as part of his show. Younger people today won’t realize his impact, but they’ll experience it.

I have mostly only very positive thoughts about Jon Stewart. Mostly. I will just say that I think that his contribution to The Daily Show, IMO, constituted a national treasure. He is not dead and The Daily Show is not dead. But The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is, now, history. Life changes. Life goes on. That is the way of things. (I say with some sadness.) Anyone else have anything to say about Jon Stewart?
He is unique. I'll miss him, too. Lois
I wish he'd have stayed on until after the election. We really need him pointing out the stupidity of American politics at this time.
I agree. One would think he would have wanted to do the election, which makes me wonder, could he be seriously unwell? Is that why he chose now, just as the election is heating up, to retire from the show? In fact he seems to be retiring altogether, though he denies it. Nevertheless he has not announced any plans beyond "writing" and "maybe" returning to stand-up comedy. He is apparently going to live on a farm in New Jersey, the state he grew up in. That seems unusual for a man of his age, only 54. On the other hand, maybe he just got tired of doing the show, which might have been more of a grind than it appeared to us to be. Lois
I wish he'd have stayed on until after the election. We really need him pointing out the stupidity of American politics at this time.
I agree. One would think he would have wanted to do the election, which makes me wonder, could he be seriously unwell? Is that why he chose now, just as the election is heating up, to retire from the show? In fact he seems to be retiring altogether, though he denies it. Nevertheless he has not announced any plans beyond "writing" and "maybe" returning to stand-up comedy. He is apparently going to live on a farm in New Jersey, the state he grew up in. That seems unusual for a man of his age, only 54. On the other hand, maybe he just got tired of doing the show, which might have been more of a grind than it appeared to us to be. LoisHe's said that he felt like he was doing the same material over and over, with nothing changing. I can understand how he feels that way, but I just would have liked him to swallow it for a little longer.
I agree. One would think he would have wanted to do the election, which makes me wonder, could he be seriously unwell? Is that why he chose now, just as the election is heating up, to retire from the show? In fact he seems to be retiring altogether, though he denies it. Nevertheless he has not announced any plans beyond "writing" and "maybe" returning to stand-up comedy. He is apparently going to live on a farm in New Jersey, the state he grew up in. That seems unusual for a man of his age, only 54. On the other hand, maybe he just got tired of doing the show, which might have been more of a grind than it appeared to us to be. LoisHe's said that he felt like he was doing the same material over and over, with nothing changing. I can understand how he feels that way, but I just would have liked him to swallow it for a little longer. My thinking is that he was burned out. And this was due to, as you say to doing the same thing for a long time, but I also suspect due to some ambivalence. I think that he would have liked for things to have changed more than they have. But, at the same time, I think that he did not want to feel responsible for the impact. And he did have an impact (on our society) with the show, just maybe, not always what he would have liked. His final message was "If you smell something (i.e., political bullshit), say something."
I agree. One would think he would have wanted to do the election, which makes me wonder, could he be seriously unwell?
You mean the election that's 15 months away? Yeah sure. Everyone thought the Grateful Dead was retiring in October 1974 when they put their Wall Of Sound to rest. :coolsmirk: The world is full of surprises. Bet we haven't heard the last of Jon.

Jon Stewart will be back in the public eye sooner than expected. Instead of hosting a show whose subject is utterly ridiculous (American politics) he will be hosting the 2nd biggest event of the year for World Wrestling Entertainment: “Summer Slam”. Although WWE is more straightforward and less hypocritical in its narratives and machinations than is American politics, I imagine that Jon will add his unique showmanship capacities to the Entertainment, while not having to be concerned as to whether his efforts are particularly productive or destructive to our society at large.
(I imagine that he is doing this, primarily, in order to impress his young son, who is a WWE fan.)

I’ll definitely miss him and most especially his ability to show the absurdity of the media circuses in general and those ever present pundits (or so called pundits) in particular. I will particularly miss his smacking around the neo-con blowhards like Beck, O’Reilly, Hannity and Limbaugh. His impression of Beck’s gloom and doom apocryphal rants were beyond hilarious! He left far too soon; who’s going to expose Trump’s insane bloviating now?
Cap’t Jack

I'll definitely miss him and most especially his ability to show the absurdity of the media circuses in general and those ever present pundits (or so called pundits) in particular. I will particularly miss his smacking around the neo-con blowhards like Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity and Limbaugh. His impression of Beck's gloom and doom apocryphal rants were beyond hilarious! He left far too soon; who's going to expose Trump's insane bloviating now? Cap't Jack
Maybe Jon left because he knew that he could not compete with Trump's natural ability to parody himself. I mean Trump is to a political satirist, as sugar is to a starving sweet toothed diabetic. It's just too much. One could be overwhelmed and die simply from the sheer volume of material that Trump supplies.
Maybe Jon left because he knew that he could not compete with Trump's natural ability to parody himself. I mean Trump is to a political satirist, as sugar is to a starving sweet toothed diabetic. It's just too much. One could be overwhelmed and die simply from the sheer volume of material that Trump supplies.
Its funny. I was just thinking that Trump may have found the prefect defense against the inevitable Saturday Night Live parodies. He left them with nothing to do. How could you possible come up with a skit that would be any more hilarious than his own speeches. I have to believe that the SNL writers are all sitting around right now looking at each other with blank stares. Maybe that's a subject for an SNL skit.
Maybe Jon left because he knew that he could not compete with Trump’s natural ability to parody himself. I mean Trump is to a political satirist, as sugar is to a starving sweet toothed diabetic. It’s just too much. One could be overwhelmed and die simply from the sheer volume of material that Trump supplies.
I don't know Tim, there's a lot of material there to munch on but I think Stweart saw as did Seinfeld that one should go out on top. I just hope his sucessor continues to entertain while fighting the good fight so to speak. As a political satirist he was the best IMO. Meantime we can watch the Trump show while it lasts! He's leading the media around on a leash, especially MSNBC and Fox. Cap't Jack
Its funny. I was just thinking that Trump may have found the prefect defense against the inevitable Saturday Night Live parodies. He left them with nothing to do. How could you possible come up with a skit that would be any more hilarious than his own speeches. I have to believe that the SNL writers are all sitting around right now looking at each other with blank stares. Maybe that's a subject for an SNL skit. I hope Trump doesn't wind up on a Fox News version of The Jon Stewart Show. Well, it wouldn't fly, anyway. Satire needs an intelligent audience. Lois
...I don't know Tim, there's a lot of material there to munch on but I think Stweart saw as did Seinfeld that one should go out on top... Cap't Jack
Yeah, I am glad for him, that he went out from the Daily Show, while he was at the top of his game.

Are you already missing Jon Stewart?
Here’s your change to see him on a big stage.

https://www.change.org/p/we-want-jon-stewart-to-moderate-a-2016-presidential-debate?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=372900&alert_id=abVtjzkktZ_hDGOiCev7UCUQbp5pIW0C+cwRoMjQaFI2HsGIzMd/OQ= Petitioning Commission on Presidential Debates We want Jon Stewart to moderate a 2016 presidential debate. M. Waters | Stanhope, NJ Over the last 16 years, Jon Stewart has played an influential and iconic role in covering US politics and media. We believe he should continue that tradition as a moderator at one of the 2016 Presidential Debates. Jon Stewart is more than qualified to tackle the moderating job. Mr. Stewart has interviewed 15 heads of state, 22 members of the United States Cabinet, 32 members of the United States Senate, 7 members of the United States House of Representatives, and scores of other political leaders from this country and around the world while establishing himself as the most trusted person in (satirical) news. In addition to his vast experience working with political figures, Jon Stewart is accomplished in presidential election coverage. His work on The Daily Show received the prestigious Peabody Award for its coverage of the 2000 and 2004 presidential races. Another important attribute of a moderator is trust. Many in the US believe Jon Stewart shares their worldview and values. A recent Reuters/Ipsos poll reported that 52.1% of respondents agree that Mr. Stewart "generally shares [their] view of the world" on "some or most issues". Choosing Jon Stewart would be a popular choice among voters. ... I

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/jon-stewart-shares-how-trevor-noah-elevated-the-daily-show-we-did-diversity-for-diversitys-sake/ar-BB15YfBM?ocid=spartanntp

It’s been about 5 years now, since he left the daily show. I think that Trevor Noah has turned out to be a great replacement.

I miss John Stuart so much. John Oliver is a reasonably close second place. I liked the fake Stephen Colbert better. He was a lot funnier, especially when he testified before Congress IN CHARACTER! Hilarious stuff! But the real Steve hated the fake Steve, so I’m glad he’s happier now. He’s still not as funny. Trevor Noah I only watch because my wife does. He’s okay. He says some funny thing. He’s no John Stuart. He’s no Stephen Colbert either, for that matter. Though I LOVE Jaboukie Young-White. Funny kid. Roy Wood Jr is also funny as hell. Put Jaboukie in the seat and I bet I’d like it better.