Iowa Governor Seems to Not Understand What "Separation of Church and State" Means

Jesus wept.]

An official proclamation signed by Gov. Terry Branstad (R-IA) has called on Iowans to pray and repent on a daily basis. In a public ceremony earlier this year, Branstad signed the proclamation ahead of a July 14 revival at the Iowa Capitol:
Lots more at the link, but this clearly violates the spirit (no pun intended), if not the letter, of the First Amendment.

Iowa is not known for progressive politicians. Regardless of what he really thinks, he is an elected official from a population of angry old white people.
It will serve no good end to politicize this, so it is best unacknowledged.

Jesus wept.]
An official proclamation signed by Gov. Terry Branstad (R-IA) has called on Iowans to pray and repent on a daily basis. In a public ceremony earlier this year, Branstad signed the proclamation ahead of a July 14 revival at the Iowa Capitol:
The Branstad Dream:
turn off sound]
Jesus wept.]
Lots more at the link, but this clearly violates the spirit (no pun intended), if not the letter, of the First Amendment.
He should be fired for not upholding the Constitution as in his official oath. What a jackass! Lee
Jesus wept.]
Either it's deliberate ignorance or he knows what it means but has decided to ignore it. His religion has eaten away his brain. Lois

What do you do when you go out to a restaurant with some folks and they insist on saying a “blessing”? This is getting a lot more frequent than in the past, for me anyway.

Jesus wept.]
WOW!! I guess that next they will want verifiable documentation that this is being done. A requirement perhaps.
What do you do when you go out to a restaurant with some folks and they insist on saying a "blessing"? This is getting a lot more frequent than in the past, for me anyway.
Wow, Blue Sky, I cringe at the thought of living wherever you do. I've lived in Southern California for over seventy years, many many times going to restaurants with a wide variety of people, and I don't recall anyone ever doing the blessing or saying grace thing. Occam
What do you do when you go out to a restaurant with some folks and they insist on saying a "blessing"? This is getting a lot more frequent than in the past, for me anyway.
You're hanging out with the wrong people. In my whole life I have never been in a restaurant with anyone who did this, nor has it been done in anyone's home where I've been invited. If it happened once I would never go out to eat with those people again. I have three friends who are active ministers in mainstream churches. None of them has ever suggested a blessing in a restaurant. You need to find new friends or move to another state. I live in California now and lived most of my life in New Jersey. It never happened there, either.
Wow, Blue Sky, I cringe at the thought of living wherever you do. I've lived in Southern California for over seventy years, many many times going to restaurants with a wide variety of people, and I don't recall anyone ever doing the blessing or saying grace thing. Occam god talks to lots of folks here and they all want to talk to you about it
I have never had this done to me in a restaurant. I live in NY though so not exactly the bible belt. I have been in situations where people have done this in their own homes where I and others were guests. I just let them do their thing but do not participate. Its respectful of their beliefs but at the same time a quiet protest. I don;t think their is anything wrong with people doing this as long as they are respectful of those who don't share their beliefs. Ideally when dining with people who do not all share the same beliefs they should just pray quietly to themselves and not make a group/public display of it, hence my quiet protest.
You're hanging out with the wrong people. In my whole life I have never been in a restaurant with anyone who did this, nor has it been done in anyone's home where I've been invited. If it happened once I would never go out to eat with those people again. I have three friends who are active ministers in mainstream churches. None of them has ever suggested a blessing in a restaurant. You need to find new friends or move to another state. I live in California now and lived most of my life in New Jersey. It never happened there, either. Most everyone here is like that. I "pretend" a lot to keep from getting completely ostracized. And holding hands with others while praying is getting to be the thing to do.
I have never had this done to me in a restaurant. I live in NY though so not exactly the bible belt. I have been in situations where people have done this in their own homes where I and others were guests. I just let them do their thing but do not participate. Its respectful of their beliefs but at the same time a quiet protest. I don;t think their is anything wrong with people doing this as long as they are respectful of those who don't share their beliefs. Ideally when dining with people who do not all share the same beliefs they should just pray quietly to themselves and not make a group/public display of it, hence my quiet protest. Sounds good and I would do that in a more progressive area.