Initial Roswell Press Release

I forgot how Americans were capable of creating business out of thin air when I was there in the '90s. As soon as you cross the border from Saskatchewan into the States, the first thing you notice is the billboards everywhere. We have laws here that do not allow billboards for aesthetic reasons. Anyways, in regards to Roswell, I think whatever the truth was is irrelevant. The advantages gained by the communities there employed a lot of people and I believe that this had an impact on how and why even the government may appear obscure about the details.
In South Dakota, they have a town called, “Water” (very original?), where people going west would, guess it…get water for their canteens and horses. They have a drugstore there (the whole town), that I was hoping to find original pharmaceuticals sold the way they were back then. No such luck!
By the way, don’t tell anyone…we stopped at Mount Rushmore only to be disappointed that it was too foggy to view. I met this beautiful girl there named Vivian, playing some type of flute perched on a rock at the closest viewing point. I suggested that we risk the $500 fine for trespassing beyond that point and climb it. So we did. It was still too foggy even when we got right under their chins. We did see a mountain goat, however, which was just above one of my friend’s head on a rock. I said, “Hey, Ken, there’s a goat right there!” He turned around but couldn’t see it. The goat was just as confused. It looked at us then tried to peer over the rock to see who we were talking to, got scared, and ran off.

Maybe you are right.
Yes, and it could also be the local command just being idiots. Trust me, I've seen that as well. Where government agencies are involved, my expectations are pretty low and they tend to live right down to them. ;-)
I suppose it's possible that the local RAAF people saw the debris from the Mogul balloon array and assumed that this is what Kenneth Arnold had seen (i.e. a balloon array). So maybe they created that initial press release because they were "proud" of themselves for solving the flying disc mystery. Then people who were aware of Mogul realized that RAAF was drawing publicity to a classified project and quickly made them change their story. BTW: Sometimes I've wondered if Kenneth Arnold might have actually seen a Mogul array, but I don't think they were flying them in his area. They might look similar.
I forgot how Americans were capable of creating business out of thin air when I was there in the '90s. As soon as you cross the border from Saskatchewan into the States, the first thing you notice is the billboards everywhere. We have laws here that do not allow billboards for aesthetic reasons. Anyways, in regards to Roswell, I think whatever the truth was is irrelevant. The advantages gained by the communities there employed a lot of people and I believe that this had an impact on how and why even the government may appear obscure about the details. In South Dakota, they have a town called, "Water" (very original?), where people going west would, guess it...get water for their canteens and horses. They have a drugstore there (the whole town), that I was hoping to find original pharmaceuticals sold the way they were back then. No such luck! By the way, don't tell anyone...we stopped at Mount Rushmore only to be disappointed that it was too foggy to view. I met this beautiful girl there named Vivian, playing some type of flute perched on a rock at the closest viewing point. I suggested that we risk the $500 fine for trespassing beyond that point and climb it. So we did. It was still too foggy even when we got right under their chins. We did see a mountain goat, however, which was just above one of my friend's head on a rock. I said, "Hey, Ken, there's a goat right there!" He turned around but couldn't see it. The goat was just as confused. It looked at us then tried to peer over the rock to see who we were talking to, got scared, and ran off.
I agree that the Roswell story has become important financially to people in that area, so no politician or government person is very eager to challenge the myths. It would be like saying you don't believe in Santa Claus - not smart politically.

Doesn’t anyone think it’s strange that after the Roswell NM UFO incident, technology advanced in leaps and bounds?
Is is possible that engineers have reversed engineered this UFO to gain us some of the technology we are using today?

Doesn’t anyone think it’s strange that after the Hindenburg incident, technology advanced in leaps and bounds?
Is is possible that engineers have reversed engineered this blimp to gain us some of the technology we are using today?

Darron’s point is well taken and one we repeat often around here. Just because B occurred after A occurred is does not prove or even imply that A caused B. Its a silly srgument that people use all the time in an attempt to prove their point. “I had a peanut butter sandwhich on Monday and won the lottery on Tuesday therefor peanut butter sandwhcih consumption leads to lottery windfalls”. Its a foolish argument that can be used to “prove” almost anything you would like.
As further evidence of the flaw in your particular argument. If you truly believe A caused B you need more evidence than the sequence of events. Take a look at this graph.

The increase use of new inventions changed very little after 1947 as demonstrated by the unchanging slope of the graph. The slope doesnt change in any significant way until 30 years later. And while the graph below shows a big uptick in the number of patents after 1947 it only appears that way because there was a large drop off in patents after the war. The overall slope of the graph does not really change at all after 1947 and remains pretty steady to the present day

Quite probably the dip in the late 40s was because of the second world war taking people’s efforts away from innovation. And if one included the population growth factor and smoothed the curve a bit it would be a nice slow growing indication of the increasing technology, nothing to do with silly alien fairytales.
Occam

Quite probably the dip in the late 40s was because of the second world war taking people's efforts away from innovation. And if one included the population growth factor and smoothed the curve a bit it would be a nice slow growing indication of the increasing technology, nothing to do with silly alien fairytales. Occam
Billy Joel song "you may be right"............. You may be right I may be crazy but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for. Turn out the light. Don't try to save me. You may be wrong for all I know but you may be right! :)
Doesn’t anyone think it’s strange that after the Roswell NM UFO incident, technology advanced in leaps and bounds? Is is possible that engineers have reversed engineered this UFO to gain us some of the technology we are using today?
Imagine, if you will, a modern smartphone gets sucked through a wormhole and falls (undamaged) at the feet of Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin. Neither of them is going to have the faintest clue as to what it is, and what it can do. They will no doubt marvel how flat the glass is, the precise holes cut into it, the metal body, the plastic case, the buttons, and the way the screen lights up (sometimes) when you push some of them. If the phone's unlocked, they might be able to figure out how to launch an app, but even if its something like a calculator, it won't make any sense to them, because they've never seen anything like it before. They don't even have the necessary concepts of what a computer is (which is a word that until after WW II meant someone who solved math problems, and not a machine) to begin to understand the basics of the device. When the battery dies, even if they've figured out that it runs on electricity, they'll have no means to recharge it. Taking it apart only leads them to more unsolvable questions. There's no gears or any other familiar items inside. Just some strange bits of metal and small boxes made out of a material they've never seen before. They would be no closer to understanding, or even attempting to duplicate that smartphone, than they were before. Now, imagine if that smartphone had been shattered to pieces when it landed at their feet. They'd have even less to go on than they did before, it would be a curious, incomprehensible mass to them. Bear in mind, that we're talking about a jump in technology of less than 300 years between us and them, and that in the years since Jefferson and Franklin, not only has technology advanced at a faster rate in just the past 50 years, than it has in the entirety of human existence up until that point, but the rate of advancement is continuing to accelerate. 50 years from now, whatever they're using for smartphones will be equally incomprehensible to us, as ours would be to Franklin and Jefferson. The kind of technology needed for interstellar travel is probably even farther advanced than that. If an alien craft crashed on Earth in the 40s, we'd have a very hard time figuring out anything at all about it, other than it was some kind of flying machine. We wouldn't have a clue as to how it worked, or what any of the bits inside of it did. Assuming, of course, that alien physiology and thought processes were close enough to humans that we could even identify things like seats and control surfaces.

Good point, C.T. Your mention of control surfaces suddenly made me think of a surface without any markings, but with embedded thermal sensors. The alien could contact it with part of it’s body and put out extremely locallized heat differences which the sensors could read. Thus we have a control panel that would be completely meaningless to humans.
Occam

Good point, C.T. Your mention of control surfaces suddenly made me think of a surface without any markings, but with embedded thermal sensors. The alien could contact it with part of it's body and put out extremely locallized heat differences which the sensors could read. Thus we have a control panel that would be completely meaningless to humans. Occam
And that's assuming that they bother with touching things to input commands and haven't gone to voice control or brain/machine interface.

Who knows the military (or even certain individuals) may have had UFO’s and alien technology tucked away in storage somewhere waiting for the future day of more understanding.
What I also find interesting is that I have been engrossed in this author and her book called “In search of the holy language". I also recently was at a conference where she was a speaker.

She demonstrated how all the Hebrew letters (27 of them) all come from ONE spiral form, and that spiral form is produced from the mathematical constituents found everywhere in the natural world (the Fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio).
I find this amazing BECAUSE “IF" there are alien races out there in the universe, I believe that this is the language that they would use to communicate with us, seeing at it is a commonality in the universe, and we would easily recognize it and be able to relate.
This writing and language goes much deeper since it also engulfs the field of quantum mechanics. The Hebrew letters (well according to this spiral form) produce a complete alphabet (in one spot in space) without even actually MOVING! It has to do with ones “point of view". So I’m guessing it is dimensional.
I don’t know how this author hit on this knowledge, but it is something that is way advanced above my actual comprehension and may lie in the field of extraterrestrial knowledge and technology.
Who knows maybe we were already contacted centuries ago by an extraterrestrial race, or perhaps God Himself when he spoke and gave the Ten Commandments to Moses on Sinai!

Jacko1, do you realize these forums are dedicated to an “evidence based, scientific outlook”?

I have no problem accepting that the Roswell UFO crash was simply a Mogul balloon contraption. However, I can't understand the initial Roswell Press Release. I assume the newspapers published verbatim the text supplied to them by the spokesman from the Roswell base. Why was there a press release at all? Why claim to have solved the mystery of the flying discs? Somebody sat down and composed the press release. It has never made sense to me. Were they trying to convince the Soviets that we had found a UFO? Just wondering if this bothers anybody else. Here is the press release:
The many rumors regarding the flying disc became a reality yesterday when the intelligence office of the 509th Bomb group of the Eighth Air Force, Roswell Army Air Field, was fortunate enough to gain possession of a disc through the cooperation of one of the local ranchers and the sheriff's office of Chaves County. The flying object landed on a ranch near Roswell sometime last week. Not having phone facilities, the rancher stored the disc until such time as he was able to contact the sheriff's office, who in turn notified Maj. Jesse A. Marcel of the 509th Bomb Group Intelligence Office. Action was immediately taken and the disc was picked up at the rancher's home. It was inspected at the Roswell Army Air Field and subsequently loaned by Major Marcel to higher headquarters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswell_UFO_incident
I can't detect any "conspiracy vibe" from this. Nor can anyone with any sense. Lois
I have no problem accepting that the Roswell UFO crash was simply a Mogul balloon contraption. However, I can't understand the initial Roswell Press Release. I assume the newspapers published verbatim the text supplied to them by the spokesman from the Roswell base. Why was there a press release at all? Why claim to have solved the mystery of the flying discs? Somebody sat down and composed the press release. It has never made sense to me. Were they trying to convince the Soviets that we had found a UFO? Just wondering if this bothers anybody else. Here is the press release:
The many rumors regarding the flying disc became a reality yesterday when the intelligence office of the 509th Bomb group of the Eighth Air Force, Roswell Army Air Field, was fortunate enough to gain possession of a disc through the cooperation of one of the local ranchers and the sheriff's office of Chaves County. The flying object landed on a ranch near Roswell sometime last week. Not having phone facilities, the rancher stored the disc until such time as he was able to contact the sheriff's office, who in turn notified Maj. Jesse A. Marcel of the 509th Bomb Group Intelligence Office. Action was immediately taken and the disc was picked up at the rancher's home. It was inspected at the Roswell Army Air Field and subsequently loaned by Major Marcel to higher headquarters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswell_UFO_incident
I can't detect any "conspiracy vibe" from this. Nor can anyone with any sense. Lois Yep, I knew somebody that worked for the newspaper when that article came out. It was NOT a misprint! As we all know the story later changed.
The question I have is: why didn’t the RAAF people simply gather up the Mogul debris, tell the locals “sorry, this is a classified balloon", end of story.
Like I said, this is the government we're talking about here. When that's what's on the table, it doesn't have to make sense and after 20 years of service in the Navy, I don't expect it.
Governments are notoriously secretive. It goes with the territory. It's easier to demand to that nobody give any information away than to try to decide which information can be revealed. They also make up stories to avoid telling the truth for good and bad reasons. I had a friend who worked for the CIA for several years. She had a habit and a knack of never directly answering even a benign question long after she was no longer working for the government. I think they are all trained that way, especially military people. They aren't trained to think, they are trained to follow orders and keep their cards to their vest and their mouths shut. If their lips are moving they are probably lying. LL