Important Insights Along the Way

I think I might have read it already, but I’ll look it up.

Cool. You clearly appreciate that it’s a dance between the two.
DNA is a recipe, it’s not a mathematical algorithm.

It really blows me away that it’s still something people argue about. Get’s me right back to that Abrahamic Mindset thing, gotta be one way or the other, now lets argue and fight about, yet anyone with any sense that looks around at living, realizes it’s a dance between the two.

But, there’s no room for that within the crowded self-important Abrahamic Mindset.

Oh and Write, I think I make it “Abrahamic” because the attitude is ancient and tribal and it has seeped deep into every aspect of our thinking probably even our genes, thus easy not to see.

[quote=“citizenschallengev4, post:22, topic:9350”]
Cool. You clearly appreciate that it’s a dance between the two.
DNA is a recipe, it’s not a mathematical algorithm.

Actually, it is a real-life algorithm

A recipe is a real-life example of an algorithm . The pancake recipe below is in the same format that we use to present algorithms. It already has some of the key features. Our algorithms always have an input, which contains all the ingredients needed to perform the task.
Definition of an Algorithm

It really blows me away that it’s still something people argue about.
But, there’s no room for that within the crowded self-important Abrahamic Mindset.

Perhaps you are viewing this from a narrow perspective?

Oh and Write, I think I make it “Abrahamic” because the attitude is ancient and tribal and it has seeped deep into every aspect of our thinking probably even our genes, thus easy not to see.

I understand but Abraham did not exist until he was mentioned in scripture. His name will always be associated with a religious mindset
The opposite of the Abrahamic mindset is “sophistry”.

Why not call it a fundamentalist mindset (mindscape)? At least it has also a secular interpretation in addition to a religious belief system… :face_with_monocle:

Well because the march of science indicates something else is going on. Start with the fascinating history of medicine which started as quackery more than anything,
Where assumption very often disregarded evidence.

https://mathstats.uncg.edu/sites/pauli/112/HTML/secalgdef.html

That lessons on algorithm is fascinating, but I notice it’s a totally one way street, but in real life the brain and body are always reacting to something outside of itself, but all your capable of address is Your Self - as though you’re an independent object standing on its own.

DNA is not a simple recipe like a pancake, and there’s a heck of a lot more involved than measuring cups and frying pans and heat transfer. It’s a dynamic interchange of experience and substance - and we still don’t fully grasp all of, but we dare not acknowledge that much, after all we are our own god, we go it all figured?

But that is where the microtubules come into play. The mitotic spindle is what reads the chromosome coding and copies it with exquisite fidelity.

The mitotic spindle is the macromolecular machine that segregates chromosomes to two daughter cells during mitosis. The major structural elements of the spindle are microtubule polymers, whose intrinsic polarity and dynamic properties are critical for bipolar spindle organization and function.

Micrograph showing condensed chromosomes in blue, kinetochores in pink, and microtubules in green during metaphase of mitosis

This has nothing to do with “mindset”. It is a product of billions of years evolution in separating chromosomes in Eukaryotic organisms.
It is a homeostatic function and totally independent of consciousness.

This process goes on in people in a vegetative state also.

When for some reason there is something wrong, The MT may keep copying and we get cancer.

Okay, no argument.
The mindset has to do with our perceptions and the weight we place on our assumptions.

But weren’t you recently arguing microtubule polymers are the foundation (and everything else) of consciousness? :wink:

“Consciousness” is such a huge term that covers so much. Awareness is a lower level form of consciousness, isn’t it? The reason I’m asking is that it seems incongruous to say that homeostatic functions are totally independent of consciousness.

Homeostasis is any self-regulating process by which an organism tends to maintain stability while adjusting to conditions that are best for its survival .

What I’m driving at is that homeostasis is impossible without feedback - isn’t that what consciousness is at its most fundamental?

Have you read this book?

It’s on my list, I’ve read Wilson’s earlier stuff. I’ve been listening to some Sapolsky YouTubes and that probably led me to this

He has a lot of interesting catch phrases, like, religion is just a collection of arts.

Thanks I’ll listen when I can and get back to you.

“religion is just a collection of arts”
Cute.
Bet that could be said about human civilization

On that count, I have a catch phrase to beat all others:
“God and religions are created from within ourselves.”

(That link is to a blog, not a book, interesting blog though.)