Hello

Hi, I´m just curious about the debate on religion. Actually right now I mostly wonder why the debate often askes if there is a God or not. Isn´t that a strange way of approaching the topic? A mean if a child has an imaginary friend I would not question if that friend really exists but rather why the child has got one. What I have found talking to the Jehovas that sometimes pays a visit is that I understand why they believe. They say it´s comforting and when they feel a bit scared and uncertain it´s nice for them to turn to their God. I usually say what I prefer to do when I feel the same way and most of the time they seem to understand me. I few weeks ago I met a Christian woman at a party and we spoke about these things. The other day she contacted me and wanted talk some more because she said that our talk made her question why she is an Christian. She is now leaving the church. I don´t think its possible to argue about the existence of Gods, but rather why there are any at all. Are there any scientific research done about this?
/K

Hi, I´m just curious about the debate on religion. Actually right now I mostly wonder why the debate often askes if there is a God or not. Isn´t that a strange way of approaching the topic? A mean if a child has an imaginary friend I would not question if that friend really exists but rather why the child has got one. What I have found talking to the Jehovas that sometimes pays a visit is that I understand why they believe. They say it´s comforting and when they feel a bit scared and uncertain it´s nice for them to turn to their God. I usually say what I prefer to do when I feel the same way and most of the time they seem to understand me. I few weeks ago I met a Christian woman at a party and we spoke about these things. The other day she contacted me and wanted talk some more because she said that our talk made her question why she is an Christian. She is now leaving the church. I don´t think its possible to argue about the existence of Gods, but rather why there are any at all. Are there any scientific research done about this? /K
Welcome to the discussion, Koln. There is a fair amount of scientific research being done into why people believe in god. Here's one piece of research I found that might answer some of your questions. It contains source notes that can direct you to other books and articles. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/religion-science/ You may find books by Sam Harris helpful: The End of Faith, The Moral Landscape and Waking Up are three of several he has written. If you are unfamiliar with Sam Harris's work, check out his Wikipedia entry: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Harris Lois

Thank you Lois!
/K