Greetings from Tacoma WA

Hello out there! I’ve finally braved the robot and got certified to participate on this forum. A good lesson on why humans are better teachers than robots. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I’m retired. My first career was high-tech computer stuff, mostly involved in computer graphics and human -computer interface. My second career was community college teaching, mostly statistics and computer science. In that second career I was faculty advisor for Secular Students Alliance club at Tacoma Community College. With the club, I had the pleasure of meeting and dining with the late wonderful Harriet Hall.

I was finally motivated to join the forum because of the recent controversy about the new BBC documentary about India’s PM Modi, its suppression in India, and its availability in the US. So I started a discussion thread in Politics and Social Issues.

3 Likes

Welcome David,
Looking forward to your contributions.

1 Like

Welcome David and smile.

1 Like

I was curious.

PainSci » blog+
• Jan 12, 2023 • by Paul Ingraham

Hall served in the U.S. Air Force for 20 years.[6] She retired as a full colonel from Joint Base Lewis–McChord in Washington state.[[5]]

In 2008 she published Women Aren’t Supposed to Fly: The Memoirs of a Female Flight Surgeon, an autobiography focusing on her experiences as a flight surgeon in the U.S. Air Force (she retired as a full colonel). As a female physician, air force officer, pilot and flight surgeon, she was a minority in several respects, and encountered prejudice. The title of the book refers to an incident after her first solo flight when an airport official told her, “Didn’t anybody ever tell you, women aren’t supposed to fly?”[15][1]

In 2008, Hall was among the five founding editors to launch Science-Based Medicine.[16] In addition to serving as an editor, she contributed over 700 articles to Science-Based Medicine.[17]

Hall spoke at the Science-Based Medicine Conference[18] and The Amazing Meeting 7,[15] among other venues in 2009. She was interviewed on podcasts such as The Reality Check, [8] Skepticality [19] and The Skeptic Zone.[7]

Hall was on the board and had been a founding member of the Institute for Science in Medicine, formed in 2009. In 2010 she was elected a Fellow of the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry.[23]

and on and on.

I extend you my sympathies on losing such as a friend. She must have been an amazing personality and bet it was a privilege to spend time with her.

I’m looking forward to your contributions to this forum.

1 Like