God's law and its interpretation

I am not a believer, but this story interests me

In Charlie Hebdo: One day, scholars of the Talmud were gathered to discuss divine law, God wanted to intervene in their debate. They rebuffed him by telling him that he had given them the law, but therefore it was up to them to interpret it.

This story shows that even for an honest believer the interpretation of divine law is not the law. Interpretation is fallible, marked by history, by the personality of the interpreter, tradition, evolutionary. I would say even or foremost, if the interpreter is a prophet.

I am not a believer, but this story interests me

In Charlie Hebdo: One day, scholars of the Talmud were gathered to discuss divine law, God wanted to intervene in their debate. They rebuffed him by telling him that he had given them the law, but therefore it was up to them to interpret it.

Why does this story interest you? If you are not a believer you must reject this story outright as false.

This story shows that even for an honest believer the interpretation of divine law is not the law. Interpretation is fallible, marked by history, by the personality of the interpreter, tradition, evolutionary. I would say even or foremost, if the interpreter is a prophet.
That is just sheer BS. A believer in God had trouble understanding God's Law and therefore reserved the right to interpret Divine Law?

As George Carlin observed : “What good is Divine Law if every Joe with a 2 dollar prayer book can come along and fuck up His Law?”

This story interests me because I am an unbeliever and because too many religious people try to present their dogmas and prejudices as god law … The story shows that when a man speaks he is the one speaking and not god, even if he invokes tradition.

This story interests me because I am an unbeliever and because too many religious people try to present their dogmas and prejudices as god law …. The story shows that when a man speaks he is the one speaking and not god, even if he invokes tradition.
Ahhh, I see. I can appreciate that.

I have posted this before but the irony it is topical in a way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hNDrV14liA