Educate Me About Religion In The USA

If you're just going to say things like "a very long time" and not acknowledge that we started on a very different path from you 300 years ago, then I don't have time for you. Read a book.
That's very discourteous, Lausten. He presented a rational topic--and one that should be discussed by rational people. We've had many discussions about your inability to be rational, which is why I don't give you much of time either. Suit yourself. We've had just as many discussions about your inability to be rational, so we're about even, I'd say. I don't see any way we can both be right. If we have had the same number of discussions about either your or my ability to be rational, it would be a tie. Whether you or I are right is an unknowable factor. I have my opinion, you have yours.
But we still love you all. I am not being aggressive here. There is no doubt that we have faults. .
Uh-huh. We-ins, in our quaint little towns across the pond, we call that "passive aggressive". Well, I see little need for finesse in this matter. Quite simply you would be wrong. I am preaching Peace and Love.

So how does scientific literacy compare with the UK vs USA? As most of us can attest on this forum, the scientific literacy rates are pretty poor here. I would like to see how those metrics compare rather than just religion itself. Sometimes when people are rational about religion they can still give into forms of pseudoscience. Thats why I brought up the matter of homeopathy which I think is more popular in the UK than the USA (correct me if I’m wrong). But…having said that I wouldn’t be surprised if one could conclude that overall the English are more rational. Then again, I live in Texas.

Don't get me wrong, I've met fundamentalists. I have one for a neighbor. But I've never experienced anything like the quantity I experienced in just one week in the South.
If I recall correctly you were one yourself, isn't that right? Or am I mistaken?

Blackorwat, I am not able to assess the relative scienctific literacy of the average person on the street in the two countries. I simply do not have enough knowledge of the USA. Perhaps you know enough about both cultures to make a better judgement than me. You may be under-estimating the USA bloke on the street and over-estimating the UK one. There are certain UK regional accents that your media / audiences fawn over because they seem ‘classy’ and an assumption of knowledge is assumed. Richard Dawkins has an Oxfordshire accent and he is of course the genuine ‘classy’ and knowledgeable article. Some Oxfordshire citizens are highly ‘classy’ and knowledgeable, whilst others could not tell you which direction the elevator was travelling in if you let them have three guesses each. The bloke from the elevator, when interviewed for just a few minutes, would probably sound ‘classy’ and knowledgeable. So it is possible that we may be over-estimated.
With regard to homeopathy I know of nobody who has been prescribed or independently sought it. It is the sort of treatment that people would mention because it is not regarded as routine medical practice by the mainstream media or by the general public’s input to that media. As far as I can recall, the only occasions on which I have seen or heard the word have been on the television, radio, internet and newspapers. I can not foresee any circumstances in which I would seek such treatment, since I believe that it is not legitimate medical science.

Don't get me wrong, I've met fundamentalists. I have one for a neighbor. But I've never experienced anything like the quantity I experienced in just one week in the South.
If I recall correctly you were one yourself, isn't that right? Or am I mistaken? You recall wrong. My church did a Native American smudge at the beginning of service and read from the Tao Te Ching. We sang John Prine and Grateful Dead instead of hymns. But that furthers my point, I went to other churches as part of that church, I moved up in leadership. That's when I encountered those attitudes, not in daily life in the Midwest.
I simply do not have enough knowledge of the USA.
When it suits you

The church I used to be in is considered by many to be a Christian cult or at least a “cultish” group. And of course they are quite fundamentalist. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of conversations I get when I rejoin Facebook soon.

When it suits you You make a legitimate point. The destinction is this. Anyone with an internet connection anywhere can be familiar with US television, radio and newspapers. That's my familiarity with the US. I have no knowledge of the US in terms of being there on the ground.
Blackorwat, I am not able to assess the relative scienctific literacy of the average person on the street in the two countries. I simply do not have enough knowledge of the USA. Perhaps you know enough about both cultures to make a better judgement than me. You may be under-estimating the USA bloke on the street and over-estimating the UK one. There are certain UK regional accents that your media / audiences fawn over because they seem 'classy' and an assumption of knowledge is assumed. Richard Dawkins has an Oxfordshire accent and he is of course the genuine 'classy' and knowledgeable article. Some Oxfordshire citizens are highly 'classy' and knowledgeable, whilst others could not tell you which direction the elevator was travelling in if you let them have three guesses each. The bloke from the elevator, when interviewed for just a few minutes, would probably sound 'classy' and knowledgeable. So it is possible that we may be over-estimated. With regard to homeopathy I know of nobody who has been prescribed or independently sought it. It is the sort of treatment that people would mention because it is not regarded as routine medical practice by the mainstream media or by the general public's input to that media. As far as I can recall, the only occasions on which I have seen or heard the word have been on the television, radio, internet and newspapers. I can not foresee any circumstances in which I would seek such treatment, since I believe that it is not legitimate medical science.
I always know well-educated Englishman. He doesn't split his infinitives, and I'm happy to see that you don't, AK. Lois
When it suits you You make a legitimate point. The destinction is this. Anyone with an internet connection anywhere can be familiar with US television, radio and newspapers. That's my familiarity with the US. I have no knowledge of the US in terms of being there on the ground. It's time you visited. Lois