Driving a hybrid vehicle

You crazy Californians and your odd dialects confound me. :-P
I've been told when visiting other states that people can tell I'm from California because I don't have an accent. ;) Dudes, I had no idea that 'smog test' was a California thing. :lol: Take care, Derek
It's surprising when you find out that everyone doesn't know the California lingo. You start to think the whole world knows it. Of course there's no reason people in other countries and sometimes other US states would know. Lois
Lois, I didn't realize it was strictly 'California lingo' until it was pointed out to me. It is such a commonplace phrase here, I thought it was used throughout the US. Easy mistake to make. No harm, no foul. Lois
You crazy Californians and your odd dialects confound me. :-P
I've been told when visiting other states that people can tell I'm from California because I don't have an accent. ;) Dudes, I had no idea that 'smog test' was a California thing. :lol: Take care, Derek I'm sure people in Texas, the deep South and Maine (especially native old timers) would say you have an accent. So would people from England and Australia. After I married an Englishman, my daughter would remark to his mother about her English accent. My mother-in-law would say, "I don't have an accent, you have one!"

Since most movies and many TV shows originate in California with actors who live here, the actors use the accents prevalent in California. This means our way of speaking is converting the rest of the country to a uniform accent. Too bad, our politics haven’t been as easily inculcated. :slight_smile:
Occam

It's surprising when you find out that everyone doesn't know the California lingo. You start to think the whole world knows it. Of course there's no reason people in other countries and sometimes other US states would know. Lois
Lois, I didn't realize it was strictly 'California lingo' until it was pointed out to me. It is such a commonplace phrase here, I thought it was used throughout the US. I'll bet you're a California native or at least grew up in California. I'm from New Jersey and had to learn California lingo as a "second language." You'd be surprised how many things had to be explained to me. For example, I didn't know what a Sigalert was. Although it had nothing to do with the lingo, it took me quite a while to figure out four-way stop signs. We didn't have them in NJ. Traffic had to stop only on one street and the other street always had the right of way. I had to learn how to pump my own gas, too. To this day, New Jersey is only one of two states that doesn't allow drivers to pump their own. Oregon is the other one. I was in NJ some time after I moved here and needed gas. It was raining. The attendant came out to pump the gas. I told him that in Californis the drivers are the ones who have to get wet. The gas costs quite a bit less there, too, even with service. Lois
Since most movies and many TV shows originate in California with actors who live here, the actors use the accents prevalent in California. This means our way of speaking is converting the rest of the country to a uniform accent. Too bad, our politics haven't been as easily inculcated. :) Occam
I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I can often detect a California accent. There are some things that give it away. The Valley Girl accent is very obvious; not just the accent but the gestures, such as the one for holding a phone.

Since I was born in Mass. spent most of my first eight years in R.I., six months in N.J., then to So.Cal. I still enjoy hearing the tiny tells in people’s accents that indicate where they are from. Of course, there are always interesting ones like an aerospace guard who was born in Scotland, moved to Brooklyn when he was sixteen, then to Calif. when he was forty - a Scots/Brooklyn accent is pretty weird. Or my philosophy instructor who got his B.A. at U. of Okada, came to USC, decided it was a party school so got his PhD in Heidelberg - a Japanese/German accent is also pretty weird. :slight_smile:
Occam

...... The Valley Girl accent is very obvious; not just the accent but the gestures, such as the one for holding a phone.
The 'valley girl' accent is a small sub-California dialect. Sometimes even 'I' don't know what they are saying. But maybe it's a generational thing! :lol:
Since I was born in Mass. spent most of my first eight years in R.I., six months in N.J., then to So.Cal. I still enjoy hearing the tiny tells in people's accents that indicate where they are from. Of course, there are always interesting ones like an aerospace guard who was born in Scotland, moved to Brooklyn when he was sixteen, then to Calif. when he was forty - a Scots/Brooklyn accent is pretty weird. Or my philosophy instructor who got his B.A. at U. of Okada, came to USC, decided it was a party school so got his PhD in Heidelberg - a Japanese/German accent is also pretty weird. :) Occam
The funniest accent I've ever heard was a gal who was born and brought up in France but learned Engish in Scotland. So she had a French accent overlaid with a Scottish one. Something to behold! Lois
...... The Valley Girl accent is very obvious; not just the accent but the gestures, such as the one for holding a phone.
The 'valley girl' accent is a small sub-California dialect. Sometimes even 'I' don't know what they are saying. But maybe it's a generational thing! :lol: It may be. :)
Too bad, our politics haven't been as easily inculcated. :) Occam
Oh no, do you want to see the entire country fail? :lol:

I think I didn’t make myself clear. I meant that it’s too bad that the rest of the country hasn’t been converted to California (liberal) political stands as many of them have been to the California accents.
And, no, I don’t think it would make the entire country fail, but rather would improve it greatly. :slight_smile:
Occam

I think I didn't make myself clear. I meant that it's too bad that the rest of the country hasn't been converted to California (liberal) political stands as many of them have been to the California accents. And, no, I don't think it would make the entire country fail, but rather would improve it greatly. :) Occam
I don't know....we have out share od kookoos here too... mostly new agey, or anti-vaxxers.

True, Asanta, but would you rather have them around or have the population of the states in the south-east?
Offhand example: The megachurch minister in Arkansas who preaches that the members should avoid reason, logic, and critical thinking because they are tools of the devil. :snake:
Occam

True, Asanta, but would you rather have them around or have the population of the states in the south-east? Offhand example: The megachurch minister in Arkansas who preaches that the members should avoid reason, logic, and critical thinking because they are tools of the devil. :snake: Occam
I think we have a few of them in Californis, too. Can't get away from them. Lois
True, Asanta, but would you rather have them around or have the population of the states in the south-east? Offhand example: The megachurch minister in Arkansas who preaches that the members should avoid reason, logic, and critical thinking because they are tools of the devil. :snake: Occam
LOL! I don't know, you could bring him here where most people (outside of Berkeley) would just laugh at him! Less damage all around!
] I think we have a few of them in Californis, too. Can't get away from them. Lois
Yes, Jim Jones, for instance. :sick:

Any snake handlers in California? Anybody out there drink Strychnine for Jesus? How many trucks have gun racks and rebel flag bumper stickers with “forget hell” on them? Yeah, I wish that we could import a few hundred thousand Calif. liberals to Appalachia. Of course they’d probably be shot for apostasy or starve for lack of vegan stores! But then again, we have boucoup land here and a scant population. Come visit but be sure to scrape off your rainbow sticker and bring lots vegan food if that’s what you’re in to.
Cap’t Jack

Any snake handlers in California? Anybody out there drink Strychnine for Jesus? How many trucks have gun racks and rebel flag bumper stickers with "forget hell" on them? Yeah, I wish that we could import a few hundred thousand Calif. liberals to Appalachia. Of course they'd probably be shot for apostasy or starve for lack of vegan stores! But then again, we have boucoup land here and a scant population. Come visit but be sure to scrape off your rainbow sticker and bring lots vegan food if that's what you're in to. Cap't Jack
NOOOOOOOOOO, I take it back! We'll keep our home grown loonies, and you can keep yours!!! :sick:
NOOOOOOOOOO, I take it back! We’ll keep our home grown loonies, and you can keep yours!!!
You know, to be honest Asanta there's looneys everywhere but I've never had the experience of talking with lefty flakes except once when we attended a French Festival at a park in Santa Barbara. an old hippie tried to sell us some hemp jewelry. Contrast that with the Apple Festival in Pikeville, Ky. where they gave away free chewing tobacco even to the kids. I did try it once, turned green and well, you know. I've often wondered what living in Canada was like! Cap't Jack