Do we control our emotions?

Your link is a study of people laughing in a group.

I’m not going to link anything, but forcing positive thinking can have negative responses. There isn’t a formula for happiness.

Dang it. Shows it’s disabled.

That’s weird, but so it is.

Go to YouTube and do a search:

“Discussion between Lisa Feldman Barrett and Mark Solms on the nature of emotion (Part 1)”

"Discussion between Lisa Feldman Barrett and Mark Solms on the nature of emotion (Part 2)]

both on the

Lisa Feldman Barrett

YouTube channel.

Nobody is forcing anybody. You do not need to be in a group to laugh. Laughing is a response to a situation, not a result of endorphins. It is the laughing that produces the endorphins.

What hormone is triggered by laughter?

Stress relief from laughter? It’s no joke - Mayo Clinic

Laughter enhances your intake of oxygen-rich air, stimulates your heart, lungs and muscles, and increases the endorphins that are released by your brain. Activate and relieve your stress response.

Didn’t say anyone was. And I think you know that. The difference is spontaneous laughter vs deciding to laugh for a non-funny reason.

[quote=“lausten, post:185, topic:10660, full:true”]

Didn’t say anyone was. And I think you know that.

Yes, perhaps I used the wrong wording.

What I meant is: laughter is not a result of endorphins , endorphins are a result of the physical act of laughter.

I read this some time ago from a research paper.
Apparently, it is a homeostatic response to the physical action itself, not the cause of the action.

This hasn’t been true in my experience, unless something is actually funny for me to laugh at then it doesn’t make any good feelings.

Because in my experience doing good doesn’t mean good will happen back to you, in fact it often leads to being taken advantage off. The people who get ahead are the ones who are friendly with those in power positions. In ever job I had it wasn’t the hardest worker who got ahead but the people who were friendly with the manager.

I don’t know who he is or why I can’t seem to get what he says out of my head.

But he says we can create emotions, and has a way to do it, but won’t tell it unless you pay for the course. People on the forum say it’s true but that’s only their say so.

Or to quote someone who swears by him:

"THAT is the secret. There is no great secret. Humans create emotions through stories and remembering all the time. That’s how music movies and stories work! They trigger memories that create emotions. Emotions are exactly as real as they feel. The source is not what matters to the feelings.

The feelings, the emotions have their own value apart from, in addition to, or independent from the source. Then that amazing device just behind our foreheads, the pre-frontal cortex, gets to ascribe meaning to it and start the next cycle by generating even more emotion, this time coloured or even determined by the story we tell.

NOW you are starting to see! It’s that simple. And it works. And in the middle of looming unemployment, very high levels of uncertainty and fixed expenses I do not control, I can function and be happy. It works. "

Sounds like you’ve seen some real life. Sucks don’t it?

Basically the dictionary definition of a charlatan. If you pay for that course, then there’s another, the one that has the advanced answer, then the next one with the new and improved, then the super deluxe version, then, well, do you get the idea?

Actually true. Taken from many traditions. Freely available, yet hard to “get”, hard to put into practice. The real prophet says they aren’t a prophet and the fake prophet knows to say that too. Makes it hard to figure out. You’re on the path, and some day you’ll figure out that the path is the destination.

1 Like

Perhaps you have never used this defense mechanism as a tool to deal with say, “stress”? Many people intuitively laugh in stressful situations.
At an evolutionary level, that means something in the ability to survive.
Ability to laugh. This eventually translates into social interactions and entertainment.

And there is safety in groups and numbers. The insect is witness to that.

I do that, sure. But that’s not the main issue.

Apparently it is true according to them but I can’t access the audio without paying for the course it’s in.

On some level I do know that but on another I wonder if I’m not guilty of some form of confirmation bias and just wanting to keep myself in a comfortable bubble.

Yes.

Instinctually yes. It was also odd how he wouldn’t answer questions on the articles I cited to him. But the people on there swear by it, so what am I supposed to think. That one lady said I’m struggling with this because “you identify with your mind” or think I am my mind, whatever that means. But we are the brain, what else is there?

I don’t get it though. Also the put me in contact with another dude who is on the spectrum like me but I don’t think he gets it either:

"“What’s your take on the abdication of power? I feel that it’s about not getting caught up in beliefs we may have built up about ourselves, usually from childhood. They lose their power over you once you stop blindly following the narratives. Instead, getting curious about where these narratives are coming from allows you to choose how to react.
I kept telling myself I wasn’t good enough because I had a really tough childhood, even after moving out and starting my own life. I would get anxious around people whose body language I couldn’t read, where I didn’t know if they approved of me or not. That’s one narrative that lost its power.”
"

Though reading it from someone else on the spectrum makes it feel like I have to do it too, because I have no excuse. Otherwise I’m just choosing to feel bad when I can create emotions otherwise.

That people want to believe. They accept the ideas without giving them too much thought then later, even if they have doubts or don’t think the practices are working, they want them to be true, so they blame themselves or repeat the mantras in an attempt to convince themselves. This includes telling others they are doing it wrong, it feels good to them to do that, makes them feel like they are right.

They aren’t bad people. It’s part of being human. We want to support each other but sometimes we need to accept each other.

So the guy that got along with the boss the best, and with an optimistic attitude and possibly even with a concern for doing the job well was more liked by the boss, perhaps even favored - compared to the surly guy. Okay, that’s how people are.

Politics (reading situations) and diplomacy (interacting in pursuit of outcomes) is embedded within every aspect of our complex social lives, from family, to jobs, the pecking order at a bar, to nations interacting.

Oh and yes, much injustice in job advancement exists, that really does suck, still then it simply gets back to figuring out how to do the best you can with what you have.

Doing things for people with an expectation of reciprocity - can bite.

Ive learned to minimize my expectations of others, even when I try to do nice things to people. I also appreciate that sometime what I think would be “doing a nice thing” might not feel like a nice thing to the receiver. Probably because I didn’t appreciate what that person might have been feeling/thinking. The dynamic dance of life.

Every snake oil salesperson has plenty of happy “boosters” behind him, yeah, yeah, yeah. Heck listen to the Herrn trump, he’s nothing but the greatest of everything, some people even believe him, - most others think he’s a hollow slob of a bully and an idiot traitor to boot and the sooner he’s in the ground, the better for everyone. But I digress.

We are biological creatures, emotions happen in the instant, then we tell our stories explaining what just happened. Not saying that stories don’t trigger emotions, but different cerebral emotions, compared to homeostatic related emotions, although they do affect each other and interact - it gets so danged complicated so fast. Lots and lots of dancing pieces.

The body/brain/mind’s spectrum of emotions are key to how our body communicates and regulates.

The more cerebral complex emotions come from being in a society which started way before humans were around, be they lions, or monkey*, humans, with the most complex mind and set of emotions nature has ever created. ( * I know: don’t forget the bugs)

Why not expand your understanding of animals in general and see what you can learn from them, especially our nearer cousins, the mammals?

Dark, it seems to me that you’re trapped within your mindscape, thinking you must logic-it-out through thinking about it, and thinking about what certain oh-wise-ones are/were thinking about it.

But you can’t get there that way. If you want to advance you need to get in touch with your body, learn to recognize its importance in making you what you are and who you are. Along the way, you’ll learn lessons that will allow you to start seeing outside of yourself. Then you have a chance at starting to make sense of your own life and what you yourself are feeling, or not feeling. Right now, seems to me, you’ve trapped yourself in a dog-chasing-tail situation, I think you got better within yourself. Good luck.

1 Like

Or you might start with a little Neil Shuben, take it back a little further.

Your Inner Fish (Episode 1) - Your Inner Fish

Nov 17, 2016
A first episode, out-of the 3 parts long, documentary series, “Your Inner Fish”.

======================

The Great Transitions in Evolution with Neil Shubin

Apr 30, 2009
Neil Shubin, Associate Dean of the Biological Sciences Division at the University of Chicago describes how his diverse fossil findings allow him to devise hypotheses on how anatomical transformations occurred by way of genetic and morphogenetic processes. [5/2009] [Show ID: 16420]

He said he is “on the spectrum”. I assume that’s the autism spectrum. Getting hooked on an idea, not getting off the one track, is a symptom of that. More or different information won’t do much.

I don’t know, it’s a fascinating story in itself, and Shuben is a great speaker.
He might get bored and wants to try something different, just for giggles and grins.
You just never can tell.

Maybe. This isn’t a psychology forum, and I’m not a doctor. My opinion; it’s not so much WHAT there is to think about as it is HOW thinking is happening. Sure, a new topic could help, but just getting off that other forum could too.

How to Get Out of an Autistic Thought Loop | Psychology Today.

1 Like

I’ll tippy toe away, emotions run so deep.

That’s what I thought but what if I’m wrong about that. None of them will explain it though. I’m almost tempted to buy the course just to see what the exercise is that they’re talking about. What if if proves everything I’m saying wrong?

Nope, they just got along well with the boss. They weren’t really the best worker.

That’s my life in a nutshell. One thing must be resolved entirely before I can move on.