DMT: The Spirit Molecule

Here’s a very interesting video on Netflix about a drug called DMT, which is highly spiritual/religious in nature.
https://www.netflix.com/title/70209261
If you don’t have Netflix, I believe the full video is also on YouTube:

According to the documentary linked above, DMT appears to provide a very compelling experience of another layer of reality, which is usually described by users in spiritual terms. Or, it provides the illusion of another layer of reality. In either case, it seems to open people’s minds to spiritual investigation in a manner not always available elsewhere.
If you should choose to watch the video I’d be most interested in your take on it. There’s a moderator section which seemed quite hokey to me, best left out imho, but it’s a small part of the video. The majority of the video discusses a scientist’s research project in to DMT and reports from those who participated in an intelligent manner.

DMT appears to provide a very compelling experience of another layer of reality, which is usually described by users in spiritual terms. Or, it provides the illusion of another layer of reality. In either case, it seems to open people’s minds to spiritual investigation in a manner not always available elsewhere. Ever tried cocaine or heroin? or atleast marijuana? They also shows similar effect - illusion of another layer of reality :D

Didn’t watch the video, since no matter what it says, it’s going to be just like any such drug. I used to smoke alot of pot. And man it felt as if I temporarily had access to some higher level of reality. The problem is, you can never tell the difference between really truly reaching another level, and merely thinking you have. It’s like your only points of reference, regardless of whether you’re high or not, are still within yourself. Sucks, because I do believe it might be possible, since we are after all physical machines of a sort, existing in a very complex physical universe. Maybe there are possibilities for realizing higher levels. But who is there to tell you, no this is not just a dreamstate or figment of your imagination, it’s the real thing. No one.

The book, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test was essentially an experiment in trying to use drugs to reach some other level, or whatever. They admit failure in the end. Some people will never admit failure. The data is everywhere. People have been claiming drugs give them special abilities since the dawn of civilization. But people who don’t do drugs keep coming up with things like quantum physics and civil rights. When a bunch of stoned people actually create a utopia, I’ll join.

Hi CuthbertJ,

The problem is, you can never tell the difference between really truly reaching another level, and merely thinking you have.
What you say is true, but what if that doesn't especially matter? If some experience, drug induced or not, makes a meaningful constructive change in one's life, maybe we should just be happy about that and not worry too much about what can't be known? What I found interesting about the video was how compelling the test subjects seemed to feel the "alternate reality" was. I did LSD years ago and so was interested when they said that with LSD you feel you are in this reality having a hallucination, whereas with DMT you feel you've gone someplace else. Time seems to be experienced very differently too, with a 15 minute trip sometimes feeling like years. I dunno, seems like an interesting investigation, whatever it means.
Hi CuthbertJ,
The problem is, you can never tell the difference between really truly reaching another level, and merely thinking you have.
What you say is true, but what if that doesn't especially matter? If some experience, drug induced or not, makes a meaningful constructive change in one's life, maybe we should just be happy about that and not worry too much about what can't be known?
That's an argument for religion. Of course it matters how you obtained your knowledge. It's part of verifying that it is accurate. Click here for my explanation of what Joseph Campbell meant by "follow your bliss". You know you are going in the right direction when you can see what you are doing is working for you and those around you.]
Here’s a very interesting video on Netflix about a drug called DMT, which is highly spiritual/religious in nature. https://www.netflix.com/title/70209261 If you don’t have Netflix, I believe the full video is also on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyriOUMaFfU According to the documentary linked above, DMT appears to provide a very compelling experience of another layer of reality, which is usually described by users in spiritual terms. Or, it provides the illusion of another layer of reality. In either case, it seems to open people’s minds to spiritual investigation in a manner not always available elsewhere. If you should choose to watch the video I'd be most interested in your take on it. There's a moderator section which seemed quite hokey to me, best left out imho, but it's a small part of the video. The majority of the video discusses a scientist's research project in to DMT and reports from those who participated in an intelligent manner.
Sorry, I'll stick with my Wild Turkey.

I just watched the video yet again. It’s still very cool. I knew you’d want to know right away. :slight_smile:

You know, sometimes I think people make too light with this “higher levels” business, or missing the boat altogether.
It’s not like we are all at the same level of appreciation of our lives and the world around us.
For example how about the higher levels Alex Gray found.
http://www.alexgrey.com
Or even we mortals, who glimpses (visualize) their own insides in action. It something that sticks around and helps inform behavior.
Or the high level of suddenly finding yourself behind an 18 wheeler hauling loads and a totally new appreciation for the road and driving,
that remains for the rest of your life.
Or the higher level of suddenly appreciating that we need those pesky bugs out there in that nature thing,
or for a moment feeling how precious and fleeting water is.
All that stuff and much more, insights that are flashes but leave our awareness richer for the experience.
higher levels of understanding, with and without chemical assistance - nothing to, er . . . sniff at. :coolsmile:

You know, sometimes I think people make too light with this "higher levels" business, or missing the boat altogether.
Yes, I agree. The problem is that there is indeed an enormous amount of hooey floating around these subjects, so those who are only casually interested tend to assume it's all hooey.
It's not like we are all at the same level of appreciation of our lives and the world around us.
Yes again. Just as there are rare people way out at the end of the talent bell curve in science, the same is true for "higher level" type subjects.
higher levels of understanding, with and without chemical assistance - nothing to, er . . . sniff at. :coolsmile:
One way to avoid the hooey is to set aside a quest for understanding, and just appreciate the value of the experience for itself. It's the urge to interpret which opens the door to hooey.

One of the things that interests me about this is…
What if a hard core atheist took this drug? Would they still experience DMT as having a spiritual flavor? That would be an interesting experiment.
Some of the commentators in the video suggested that “set and setting” are a very important part of the experience. They defined that as the mental atmosphere you bring to the experience. As example, marijuana tends to emphasize whatever psychology you bring to the experience. If you’re a philosopher, it can be very philosophical. If you’re paranoid, it can make you more so. And so on. Would a wide range of people have a wide range of experiences, or would they all experience about the same thing?
I should have mentioned that the video focuses on a study done by a scientist. Perhaps one weaknesses of the study was that most or all of the participants seemed to be fairly similar, people who have used psychedelics before, and people open to spiritual type explanations. The subjects didn’t seem to be wackos, but not as diverse a group as one might have hoped.
Another issue was that the study was done almost 20 years ago, so you’re left wondering what’s happening now.

One of the things that interests me about this is... What if a hard core atheist took this drug? Would they still experience DMT as having a spiritual flavor? That would be an interesting experiment. Some of the commentators in the video suggested that "set and setting" are a very important part of the experience. They defined that as the mental atmosphere you bring to the experience. As example, marijuana tends to emphasize whatever psychology you bring to the experience. If you're a philosopher, it can be very philosophical. If you're paranoid, it can make you more so. And so on. Would a wide range of people have a wide range of experiences, or would they all experience about the same thing? I should have mentioned that the video focuses on a study done by a scientist. Perhaps one weaknesses of the study was that most or all of the participants seemed to be fairly similar, people who have used psychedelics before, and people open to spiritual type explanations. The subjects didn't seem to be wackos, but not as diverse a group as one might have hoped. Another issue was that the study was done almost 20 years ago, so you're left wondering what's happening now.
You bring up a good point. I always get a kick out of someone who says, hey I was high and i heard god's voice. Or even when they're not high, you know the evangelists etc. I want to scream, of course you heard god, that's all you think about 24/7. What would really be remarkable is if you heard the voice of Buddha.

Another good DMT video.