Discounts for public prayer

This is soooooo strange.

This diner is giving a discount to customers who pray before they eat. Not sure what I think.

This is soooooo strange. www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/08/01/337110193/restaurants-prayer-discount-sparks-mix-of-praise-anger This diner is giving a discount to customers who pray before they eat. Not sure what I think.
I guess it's legal. It's a private business. He can do pretty much what he wants regarding discounts. It might interfere with his customer base, though. I certainly wouldn't go to that restaurant. But maybe he doesn't care about his customer base. He's paving the road to heaven. Lois

Technically it is illegal because it is segregation of his customers.

I don’t think so because any customer can elect to pray.
However, I would boycott any restaurant that did that; hell if I still traveled I’d boycott North Carolina where the restaurant is.
Since I normally tip between 20 and 25%, and the 15% discount is at the waitress’ discretion, I’d just skip the tip. So, I’d actually be getting a five or ten percent discount for not praying. :slight_smile:
Occam

Technically it is illegal because it is segregation of his customers.
I don't think it's illegal. It would be no more illegal than offering a discount for any other reason. Lois

So, what’s to stop those of us nonbelievers from locking hands and reciting passages from Dawkins’ The God Delusion, quietly of course, and getting the discount? Or how about a “Hitch” quote? Does the proprietor have to preview the prayer before giving us a reward? What if a Muslim family prayed to Allah? As I said before, North Carolina is becoming the Mississippi of the upper South. Everyone’s sporting a silver Persian torture device around their neck now and yellow snake flags are replacing the Stars and Bars.
Cap’t Jack

Well, it’s a gray area for the law because black people can’t pretend to be white but anyone can act religious willy nilly. It is still of form of discrimination and religious bigotry.

Do they specify what type of prayer and does it have to be to a particular god? Even an atheist can bow his or her head and reflect on whatever positive/humanist thought they wish out of gratitude…Certainly this business owner would have no means of verification. Ultimately, it just sounds like a poor business practice because what if the waitstaff simply do not see the customer perform the prayer? Does the customer have to go out of his or her way to put on some performance and antics to ensure the prayer display is seen and adequate?

I believe this is illegal. A business which serves the public is not allowed to discriminate in any way based on race, religion, sex etc. There was a similar case not long ago where a restaurant was giving discounts to people if they brought in a pamphlet that a local church gave out during services each week ( as proof they had been to church), and the restaurant was found to be in violation of the law and ordered to stop the practice. I can’t find a link to the case but it was relatively recent.

Another example of where to win, you don’t fight against, you join in. Take a bible, sit down for your meal, and start praying and reciting LOUDLY, very LOUDLY. And when the presumably Christian owner comes by to ask you to quiet down, you call him a sinner and a blasphemer for denying the word of the Lord and oppressing your right to Pray to Jesus.

I’d recite the passage in the Bible where Jesus commands his followers to not pray publicly, then ask for my discount.

Good one Darron. Or how about reciting Psalm 137, a very familiar Psalm to most Christian, but include the last stanza that is usually left out. Loud of course.
How can we sing the songs of the Lord
while in a foreign land?
5 If I forget you, Jerusalem,
may my right hand forget its skill.
6 May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth
if I do not remember you,
if I do not consider Jerusalem
my highest joy.
7 Remember, Lord, what the Edomites did
on the day Jerusalem fell.
“Tear it down," they cried,
“tear it down to its foundations!"
8 Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.
9 Happy is the one who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.

That would be good too, Lausten. Funny how Christians never recite the last verse.

I'd recite the passage in the Bible where Jesus commands his followers to not pray publicly, then ask for my discount.
"When you pray, you are not to be like hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you." Matthew 6:5-6. New American Stand Bible.

Or how about some rousing quote from Deuteronomy ( pick any, there’s plenty of killing, rape, death, destruction homophobia, xenophobia, genocide, a lot of that especially) before tying into those eggs and bacon. That’ll put a smile on any fundie’s face. “Look Margret, those cute kids want to destroy the heathens”! Praise The Lord and pass the ammunition.
Cap’t Jack

So, what's to stop those of us nonbelievers from locking hands and reciting passages from Dawkins' The God Delusion, quietly of course, and getting the discount? Or how about a "Hitch" quote? Does the proprietor have to preview the prayer before giving us a reward? What if a Muslim family prayed to Allah? As I said before, North Carolina is becoming the Mississippi of the upper South. Everyone's sporting a silver Persian torture device around their neck now and yellow snake flags are replacing the Stars and Bars. Cap't Jack
We could start reading Dawkins but I doubt anyone would give is a discount for it. Lois

Here is the latest. They stopped the discount.

We could start reading Dawkins but I doubt anyone would give is a discount for it.
Yeah, he's kind of fallen out of favor recently due to a pedophilia quote he made years ago. Even Meta is upset with his recent comments. Cap't Jack

What pedophilia quote?