Death: Soul

Strings don’t have mathematical values. It’s like saying “a+a=aa”. There’s no mathematical value, they’re just characters. The plus sign concatenates the characters together.

I guess I’m the only Software Engineer here? ?

You are certainly not a mathematician. In mathematical algebra a + a = 2 x a (the a stands for a value).

EVERYTHING has a value, a pattern, a structure that gives meaning to the thing . If it does not, it is valueless and has no meaning.

EVERYTHING has a value, a pattern, a structure that gives meaning to the thing .
Including God! Wow, I didn't know you had such strong faith! ???

So, continuing with this train of thought: if “everything has value because it provides meaning to the thing”, that means those who believe in God also have value, because that faith in God provides meaning to them.

It could also mean the pseudorandom energy that created the Universe has a patttern/structure (yet to be discovered, of course), which gives meaning to life itself.

I’m not sure you realized how profound and powerful your statement is. I agree with it 100% too, btw. I’m just seeing how well it can be applied to other things. ? Everything does have value. Even the concept of void or null in computer science (which is the absence of value, or the empty set in math), has a meaning – to define the concept of nothingness.

The concatenated strings don’t have a mathematical value. They do have a purpose/meaning though – which is to combine two strings into one. Concatenation is different from addition, which is why you were probably confused. But 2a in math is the same as aa, it just simplifies to 2a.

Including God! Wow, I didn’t know you had such strong faith!
Not to me but to some people it does. They believe that god exists and has an omnipotent value. I disagree.
The concatenated strings don’t have a mathematical value. They do have a purpose/meaning though — which is to combine two strings into one. Concatenation is different from addition, which is why you were probably confused.
But it is not a mathematical algebraic function.

Concatenation

The concatenation of two strings and is the string formed by joining and . Thus the concatenation of the strings "book" and "case" is the string "bookcase". The concatenation of two strings and is often denoted , , or, in the Wolfram Language, . Concatenation is an associative operation, so that the concatenation of three or more strings, for example , , etc., is well-defined.

The concatenation of two or more numbers is the number formed by concatenating their numerals. For example, the concatenation of 1234 and 5678 is 12345678. The value of the result depends on the numeric base, which is typically understood from context.

yonkey said; There’s no mathematical value, they’re just characters. The plus sign concatenates the characters together.
To me that means its not a mathematical expression. It's a linguistic expression .
But 2a in math is the same as aa, it just simplifies to 2a.
I disagree, in mathematics 2a is a multiplication, not an addition or a concatenation.

I disagree, in mathematics 2a is a multiplication, not an addition or a concatenation.
But you're the one who multiplied! ? a plus a is two a's. Written as "2a" in math. Correct?
To me that means its not a mathematical expression. It’s a linguistic expression .
Correct. This was the whole joke! A plus sign has double meaning depending on the context/data type.

I apologize that the joke went over your head. Any programmer reading this would understand and chuckle. ?

But you’re the one who multiplied! ? a plus a is two a’s. Written as “2a” in math. Correct?
No. a + a is an addition , 2a (2*a) is a multiplication. The result is the same but one is a "sum", the other is a "product"
The outcome of adding two or more numbers gives the sum. The outcome of subtracting the two numbers gives the difference. The outcome of multiplying the two or more numbers gives the product. The outcome of a division gives the quotient.

The outcome of adding two or more numbers gives the sum.
Example: 8+4
Answer: 12

The outcome of subtracting the two numbers gives the difference.
Example: 8-4
Answer: 4

The outcome of multiplying the two or more numbers gives the product.
Example: 8*4
Answer: 32

The result of the division of one number by another is the quotient.
Example: 8 / 4
Answer: 2

btw. This is grade 4 stuff.

p.s. in context of the OP we are talking about different type of mathematical “souls” inherent in the function.

The result is the same
I know the result is the same! 2a is the answer for both addition and multiplication in this case... so I don't know why you're continuing to beat a dead horse over it. We're both correct. QED.

Ok, moving on…

If I may join into this soul discussion.

First of all @yonkey I assume your blog entry is mainly about “how to life”, based on a standpoint around the soul. And for that you had to define what you are meaning with soul in the first plase. So your definition of a soul can be taken directly as it is without it being just poetry?

Based on this assumption i go further.

Soul is an interesting topic, but somehow i have the impression peoples goal is not to reach final conclution but to beat about the bush an babbel around in circles. Which I don’t fully comprehend yet. So I go on an try to reach a satisfying fincal conclution, even this means to break the “tradition”.

... but what exactly is a “soul”? As far as I know, you can’t measure or quantify it.-yonkey
In order to make it easier to grasp something that apparently is not quantifiable, let's take your definition of a soul and search for something that is in fact messurable and does apply to your definition. I'd say this is a solid starting point.

My reason for that is, if soul does exists as that what it is proclaimed to be then it has to exist. If not then it wouldn’t exist in the first place and propably no one ever did get any impression that leads to the idea of a soul. But beacause there is such an idea of soul, something propably does indeed exists. Let’s find it!

Your soul is what makes you who you are. It drives the passion in you to do things. It acts as your conscience to contemplate good versus bad. It represents your mind and heart combined.-yonkey
That what makes you who you are, what drives you to do things, the conscience, heart and mind combined. Sorting out the obvious, the heart is a pretty well defined and explored physical organ to pump blood. I state the obvious and guess the organ heart is not meant but more the symbolic emotional part of the mind that what is meant when someone has or hasn't a heart or a heart of ice/stone. In this context mind propably is meant to be the mor rational part of the overall mind. So to conclude "mind and heart" are meant to be the overall emotional and rational parts.
Soul makes what we are, drives the "will?" to do things, represents a persons emotional and rational side including conscience.-y
Makes what we are... What are we? For simplicity let's assume we talking only about homo sapiens. What we are, what each person is. What is a person? What do we consider to be ourselfs. Here I go to my own point of view because I'm not confident to know what others consider themself to be. I am not my hand, nor my leg, nor any other part of body. I am Me; - "Cogito, ergo sum"-René Descartes. I am my own thinking process, if this process don't happens I don't exist I'm unconscious, nothing. We know the thinking process is done in the head in the brain; "neurology". So I am my own thinking process inside my brain. If my brain physically gets messed with I do propably die/be destroyed. So that what I am, inside my brain, is based and build up from the physical structure that my brain is. So one could conclude that what I am, is the abstract structure made up by the physical brain. Symbolically: I am the shape of triangle made up by the physical matter that forms the triangle. To conclude: I am an abstract process physically bound.

I don’t like to force my POV on others but I guess my conclusion about what we are applies not just to me but also to other specimen of homo sapiens.

After we now finaly know what we are, I recomend a slight adjustment Soul does not litreral “make” what we are, Soul is what we are, how we are. This I do because i don’t think with soul is the physical building process meant that builds up our brain; “cell division”.

And well, I guess we stumbled over the answer what soul is, or at least what soul can be understood for. The abstract process that is what we are.

But let’s check.

• It makes you to what/whom ever you are. - Its literally what you are. - check
  • It drives your passion to do things. - Passion and will to to things seem to be includet. - check
  • It is your conscience. - Conscience is also part of its function. - check
  • It represents your mind and heart combined. - It is indeed every side of you, the rational and emotional. - check
  • You can’t measure or quantify it. - Well we just did of some sort, but i guess by its abstract nature it isn't something you can directly physical messure and quantify unless focusing on its material basis. - check~?

My final conclusion.

The representation of a existing soul is our own abstract process happening inside our brain. This is, what in fact does exist, which we could call a soul based on the named properties.

And for myself this this quite enough, I don’t need some magical mystical spirity ghost energy to belief in. Other sayings using soul are like the sayings about the human heart not refering to the physical organ.

With this long and boring monologue I think I stated the obvious, already to known everyone. Which is perhaps the reason why everyone focuses around the poetic/symbolic meaning and not definition of soul.

That said, I fully broke out of context and nothing of it means actually something. Especieally, the original blog entry doesn’t direct concern about soul but mor on “to nourish your soul.”-@yonkey

Thanks for your analysis! ?

When I wrote the entry, I didn’t know about CFI, nor was I planning on holding the entry upto scientific scrutiny. I just thought it was good storytelling. ?

Anyway, I’ll respond to your points more specifically later today. I have to do some errands now. But I just wanted to acknowledge that I read your post, and appreciate the effort you put into responding. ?

So to conclude “mind and heart” are meant to be the overall emotional and rational parts.
Hmm.. Not sure I'd agree here. The heart is an organ, yes, but it is said to "love", which is physically and scientifically incorrect. The brain is an organ, but the mind is different. The mind contains both the conscious and subconscious. It too has irrational components. My point is that physical organ can contain irrational parts.
“Cogito, ergo sum”-René Descartes.
Great Billie Eillish song, but it too is flawed. You exist in spite of my imagination. Your existence isn't based on my thoughts. Therefore, existence is independent of thought. The ability to think doesn't define one's existence.
With this long and boring monologue I think I stated the obvious, already to known everyone. Which is perhaps the reason why everyone focuses around the poetic/symbolic meaning and not definition of soul.

That said, I fully broke out of context and nothing of it means actually something. Especieally, the original blog entry doesn’t direct concern about soul but mor on “to nourish your soul.”-@yonkey

Right. It’s more about nourishing the soul than its definition. And it was meant to be more poetic than scientific.

The mind contains both the conscious and subconscious. It too has irrational components. My point is that physical organ can contain irrational parts.-yonkey
Indeed, I interpreted and recognized "mind and heart" in the sence of the poetic duality of rationality and emotion. If mind is in this context not just rationality then I learnd something new about poetry.
  • You exist in spite of my imagination. - True
  • Your existence isn’t based on my thoughts. - True
  • Therefore, existence is independent of thought. - True with one exception; existence is independet of thought unless it is the existence of said thought itself. And that is what Descartes was about.
  • The ability to think doesn’t define one’s existence. - True, unless the existence of the ability to think is meant.

I’m not very good with poetry and other art, therefore the more thanks for your tolerance reagarding my framebreaking.?

Yonkey. But 2a in math is the same as aa, it just simplifies to 2a.

W4U. I disagree, in mathematics 2a is a multiplication, not an addition or a concatenation.

Wait a minute, this is starting to sound like a theological argument. :wink:

concatenation = a series of interconnected things or events. &. the action of linking things together in a series.

Right. It’s more about nourishing the soul than its definition. And it was meant to be more poetic than scientific.

@didirius. And well, I guess we stumbled over the answer what soul is, or at least what soul can be understood for. The abstract process that is what we are.

But let’s check.

It makes you to what/whom ever you are. – Its literally what you are. – check
It drives your passion to do things. – Passion and will to to things seem to be includet. – check
It is your conscience. – Conscience is also part of its function. – check
It represents your mind and heart combined. – It is indeed every side of you, the rational and emotional. – check
You can’t measure or quantify it. – Well we just did of some sort, but i guess by its abstract nature it isn’t something you can directly physical messure and quantify unless focusing on its material basis. – check~?

Fun discussion.