Cultural appropriation

No Indian Americans do not equal Native Americans. That’s two different groups of people. -- Mriana
Where were you when Columbus met the Taino? You could have straightened this out then and we wouldn't be in this mess we are today! :)

We aren’t in a mess, because Indian Americans are those from India and Native Americans are indigenous to the U.S. Another term, if you must use Indian is American Indian, but not Indian American. I was schooled on this by Native Americans and an Indian American. Both basically said the same thing concerning the definitions. I had a professor in college who was from India. When she said Indian, she always meant those from India or lived in India. It was never Native Americans.

No Indian Americans do not equal Native Americans. That’s two different groups of people.
I was making fun of the fact that you and the other dimwits here equated a discussion about yoga and Indian Americans with Native Americans. Nobody thinks the term "Indian American" refers to Natives but you.
Nobody thinks the term “Indian American” refers to Natives but you.

Excuse me, but I was telling everyone else what you were referring too. Even so, IF I was wrong, I clarified the two for everyone. So who’s the dimwit? Certainly not me.

So leave the money on the table and get out of the way: Cherokees do better than other tribes and even the U.S. concerning COVID, because they said that and then they did what needed to be done with the money. People can’t trust the government in what needs to be done, especially when it concerns cultural appropriations. The U.S. government is notorious for screwing Native Americans, as well as other groups. Cherokees did though and when taking the money and doing what needed to be done showed it was worth it, they kept their people alive, better than another group in the U.S., thanks to Chief Mankiller. This is what one and even groups have to do in order to survive. My family ignored the dotard and listened to Dr. Fauci and the Cherokees did the same thing, only they have their own Dr. Fauci. (click the picture, which opens to a new page, to view the video)

In Canada, it seems to me that they use the term Amerindians for native Americans …

In Canada, it seems to me that they use the term Amerindians for native Americans ….
Yes but that lumps all native tribes under the term Americans, instead of identifying each tribe with its native name. That's like calling all English, French, German, Italian peoples as native Europeans, without any separately distinctive qualities.
I was making fun of the fact that you and the other dimwits here equated a discussion about yoga and Indian Americans with Native Americans. -- oneguy
Hmm, twisting words and turning phrases to make trouble for others in the forum. If only there was a name for that....

My brother lives in Alaska, where the tribes have a lot of power and are well organized. They didn’t have the kind of wars we had down here. They did a great job distributing the vaccines and they helped out the whiteys too.

re: #341613

@thatoneguy was making fun of the fact that you and the other dimwits
When ridiculing others is all you have left in your intellectual arsenal.

But ask the big shot for a constructive response and it’s crickets.

ps

Being Indian in Trump’s America By Amitava Kumar, March 15, 2017

www .newyorker. com/news/news-desk/being-indian-in-trumps-america

… The bindi isn’t the bull’s-eye it once was. But the bigotry, as we have witnessed in 2017, has not gone away. In early February, an Indian man in Peyton, Colorado, awoke to find his house egged, smeared with dog feces, and vandalized with racist slogans.

Two weeks later, at a bar in Olathe, Kansas, a U.S. Navy veteran named Adam Purinton allegedly opened fire on two Indian patrons.

Srinivas Kuchibhotla, a thirty-two-year-old aviation engineer, was killed; his colleague Alok Madasani survived.

Ten days later, a Sikh man was attacked outside his home in Kent, Washington, while washing his car. A white man wearing a mask told him to go back to his country, then shot him in the arm. Soon after that, as if to confirm that Indians across the country were now on notice, an unsettling video began to circulate online. …

Asian Indians' responses to discrimination: A mixed-method examination of identity, coping, and self-esteem.

https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2011-21971-002

Citation
Tummala-Narra, P., Inman, A. G., & Ettigi, S. P. (2011). Asian Indians’ responses to discrimination: A mixed-method examination of identity, coping, and self-esteem. Asian American Journal of Psychology, 2(3), 205–218. APA PsycNet

Abstract
The focus on racial injustice in ethnic minority psychology recognizes a need to understand the effects of racism experienced by Asian Indians in the U.S. Utilizing a mixed-method approach with 102 first and second generation Asian Indians, we examined (a) when and why race and ethnicity are salient for Asian Indians, (b) the mediating roles of racial identity and ethnic identity, and (c) the moderating roles of generational status and racial socialization on the relationship between racism related stress, self-esteem and coping. Qualitative analyses revealed distinct and overlapping themes related to race and ethnicity highlighting the relevance of both constructs to participants. Quantitative analyses revealed racial identity to be a significant mediator in the relationship between racism related stress, self-esteem, and coping. Neither generational status nor racial socialization experiences moderated this relationship. Implications of these findings for research and clinical intervention with Asian Indians are discussed. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2020 APA, all rights reserved)

In Canada, it seems to me that they use the term Amerindians for native Americans ….
Yes but that lumps all native tribes under the term Americans, instead of identifying each tribe with its native name. That’s like calling all English, French, German, Italian peoples as native Europeans, without any separately distinctive qualities.

It’s also like combining Canadians and U.S. citizens together, because there are tribes in Canada that were just as mistreated as those in the U.S. The Episcopal Church was horrible up there towards the various tribes. They’ve since made various apologies and attempted to offer, mostly religious, appropriations too. Oddly enough and here’s the weird part, the various tribes were so abused and mistreated by Xians and yet many are Xians, as well as practice their traditional beliefs, saying one can be both. I met a leader, common called by white people “Chief” who insisted he could be both Catholic and practice traditional beliefs of his tribe. IMHO, a form of superstitious naturalism and Catholicism (any Xian religion) is a contradiction. That said though, historically you can’t trust religious groups or government who makes promises, until they prove otherwise. For example, Biden has made good on his efforts to fight COVID, so you can trust him up to a point on that matter. You cannot trust the Repugs or the dotard. Of course, in some cases you can’t trust doctors or medical scientists- ie Black people in the U.S. and Tuskegee, which made it more difficult for them to trust the vaccine, but many are coming around. My older son was concerned at first, but now he’s decided he will get the vaccine, which is a relief to me.

My brother lives in Alaska, where the tribes have a lot of power and are well organized. They didn’t have the kind of wars we had down here. They did a great job distributing the vaccines and they helped out the whiteys too.

They must have the same attitude as Cherokees- leave the money on the table and we’ll do it ourselves. Self-efficient and self-reliant. The Cherokees at one time not only made their language a written language, but they also attempted to assimilate into the white culture by “owning land” (a concept that many N.A. don’t comprehend, because you can’t pick it up and take it with you. I don’t even get it either), owning other humans, and other things like that. Cherokees still ended up rounded up and forced to relocate. Their land confiscated, as well as their property. Some of my ancestors jumped off the Trail of Tears in the Ozarks and married into various Ozarkian families. Of course, they knew the lay of the land, so jumping off into the woods was nothing for them. Unfortunately they didn’t make it onto the Dawes Rolls because of it. The Hester Rolls some may have made it on, but others just disappeared into the Ozarks.

When ridiculing others is all you have left in your intellectual arsenal.

But ask the big shot for a constructive response and it’s crickets.

My constructive response was upthread where 3 members were discussing yoga and its role in cultural appropriation. The thread was going somewhere. Your responses consist of not understanding what is going on and then complaining about that fact being pointed out.

Yes but that lumps all native tribes under the term Americans, instead of identifying each tribe with its native name. That’s like calling all English, French, German, Italian peoples as native Europeans, without any separately distinctive qualities.
It’s not really necessary for a government label each tribe separately just for demographic purposes. In a multiracial society I.D. by race works well enough — e.g. 37% black, 42%white, etc.

Cultural Appropriation has been a thing for decades but with the recent “woke” mentality it’s taken on a new life. There is some truth to the accusations sometimes, though much of it seems more about drawing attention to the person who is doing the accusing. I guess we can blame social media for that.

Sometimes it seems to be about sheer hatred. Yoga is a good example as it’s widespread and generally appeals to liberal White crowd — who are easy to push around if you’re not one of them. The woke Indians in the West can take their anger out on them because they’re an easy target. A good rule of thumb is if somebody is seriously concerned about cultural appropriation they can usually be reasoned with, whereas the shrill accusers are about something else.

yeah, okay.

goofy topic anyways - ain’t humanity all about moving around, stepping on other peoples, adapting and transforming ideas they liked?

It’s not really necessary for a government label each tribe separately just for demographic purposes. In a multiracial society I.D. by race works well enough — e.g. 37% black, 42%white, etc.
Which is incorrect to begin with. There simply are no black or white people, just as there are no brown eyed or blue eyed people. There are only colored people with variegated color eyes and a range of hair color shades.

In a multiracial society I.D. by race works well enough — e.g. 37% black, 42%white, etc. -- that one
Works for doing what?

I don’t see much of a difference, except varying degrees of melanin and that there are no gingers in the bunch of women pictured.

Which is incorrect to begin with. There simply are no black or white people, just as there are no brown eyed or blue eyed people. There are only colored people with variegated color eyes and a range of hair color shades.
Yes we know blacks aren't really "black" and Whites aren't really "White" (though some are damn close) but everyone knows what these terms mean and they are useful. Hairsplitting is unnecessary.