Cult in Oregon

I’m watching Wild Wild Country on Netflix. About the Bagwhan in the 80s. I paid no attention to it at the time. Does anyone remember experiencing it as it happened?

I know about them only following:

First cult on the list. And it sounded familiar to me because its a part of “God is not Great”:

Hitchens described some of their rituals, and eventual decline of the cult.
A documentary on the cult:

(if there is a show on Netflix dont watch it, it might be a spoiler :smiley: )

Hm. Lausten, you might find this interesting

After release of “God is not Great”, one of the members of Osho contacted Christopher Hitchens and the publisher with their objections about how was the Bhagwan movement characterized. Its apology on apology…
Apparently their new organization - Osho - is still active.

Cults are everywhere. We usually call them churches.

Hm. Lausten, you might find this interesting https://www.oshonews.com/2016/01/20/a-letter-to-christopher-hitchens/ After release of "God is not Great", one of the members of Osho contacted Christopher Hitchens and the publisher with their objections about how was the Bhagwan movement characterized. Its apology on apology... Apparently their new organization - Osho - is still active.
I'm not going to fact check this. Osho left India because that government was catching on to him. Members the group in Oregon very willingly adopted the use of guns, despite the teachings claiming to be about peace. They perpetrated the largest use of chemical weapons in the history of the country. Watching the documentary, you see nothing but angry epitaphs coming them when they are in government meetings or getting interview by the news. They also interview 3 primary leaders and others who are alive today. They are still saying the same things, and offering no explanations for their crimes. They got nuthin'. I've also skimmed the works of Osho, it's crap. The logic is as bad as the flat earth society and the philosophy is 3rd grade reading level. It seems amazing that this can happen, but look at how many millions of people in the US today believe Mexicans are taking their jobs, while simultaneously draining the welfare system, that torture is good and more guns in the hands of children will make us safer.
I'm not going to fact check this. Osho left India because that government was catching on to him. Members the group in Oregon very willingly adopted the use of guns, despite the teachings claiming to be about peace. They perpetrated the largest use of chemical weapons in the history of the country. Watching the documentary, you see nothing but angry epitaphs coming them when they are in government meetings or getting interview by the news. They also interview 3 primary leaders and others who are alive today. They are still saying the same things, and offering no explanations for their crimes. They got nuthin'. I've also skimmed the works of Osho, it's crap. The logic is as bad as the flat earth society and the philosophy is 3rd grade reading level. It seems amazing that this can happen, but look at how many millions of people in the US today believe Mexicans are taking their jobs, while simultaneously draining the welfare system, that torture is good and more guns in the hands of children will make us safer.
Btw it was biological attack - salmonella. Well I am certainly not asking you to fact check it. The part about "wearing an orange garb" is definitely metaphor for Hitchens that he visited Bhagwan commune. What I found particularly interesting is that they specified who was this "German Princeling of House of Windsor". Apparently his name in commune was Vimalkirt, and they dedicated whole apologizing article on his death: http://www.oshoworld.com/biography/innercontent.asp?FileName=biography7/07-71-vimalkirti.txt Prince Welf of Hannover was a cousin of Prince Charles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Welf_Ernst_of_Hanover

I’m not sure if there can be a spoiler for a documentary about something that happened in 1985. But this post is about the next to last episode.
The Bhagwan’s secretary, Sheela fled and immediately started spilling the beans about attempted murders and rapes. She still supported he core teachings, but said the commune was never intended to be a utopia, it was a con job. The doc does not spend much time on the details of just who was sleeping with whom or even of the poisoning of the local town. They talk about it, but sometimes you are left hanging and wondering why more people weren’t prosecuted. In this episode, the FBI gets to go through documents and start indicting.
I’ve done a little searching about “where they are now” and the teachings, and what has struck me is the parallels to our current president. Or any populist leader. It’s not that their message is all that unique, it’s that they claim it is. The world is cold and cruel. Once you leave your mothers protection, you’re not going to get a lot of people telling you are special and that you can be in the special group that is going to fix everything with love and caring and nothing bad will happen. So if someone does say that, shows you a little human kindness, it’s not hard to believe you have found something special. All they need to do is say, “this is the only place you will find this”, if you believe that you stay. The ones who don’t, move on.
We have all known someone who gets that controlling boyfriend of girlfriend. It’s basically the same thing, but on a larger scale.

Its all the same con job.
Anyone who say that you, or people in a group you identify with are special, or better or whatever similar, it will give a power over you.
You have to be either too individual to identify with a group, or a bit cynical and constantly ask about purpose or benefits which come out of such praise.