County Clerk Kim Davis outstanding example of Christian hypocrisy and their base hatefulness

What can be said about people who are so over-the-top full of themselves, not to mention their nasty little tender egos.

www.usnews [dot]com /news/articles/2015/09/01/kentucky-clerk-fighting-gay-marriage-has-wed-four-times?src=usn_tw Kentucky Clerk Fighting Gay Marriage Has Wed Four Times A fellow gay marriage-resisting county clerk says 'that's forgivable.' The Kentucky county clerk facing potentially stiff penalties for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses has been married four times, raising questions of hypocrisy and selective application of the Bible to her life. The marriages are documented in court records obtained by U.S. News, which show that Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis divorced three times, first in 1994, then 2006 and again in 2008. She gave birth to twins five months after divorcing her first husband. They were fathered by her third husband but adopted by her second. Davis worked at the clerk's office at the time of each divorce and has since remarried. Davis has described her desire to strictly adhere to the Bible in stark terms and thus far has shown no sign of bending to court orders on same-sex marriage. She said Tuesday she fears going to hell for violating "a central teaching" of the Bible if she complies with the orders.
http://www.thestranger.com/blogs/slog/2015/09/01/22793219/i-suppose-i-should-say-something-about-kim-davis "… Anyway, I haven't written much about Kim Davis because I knew how this was going to play out after Davis first made the news: Davis would continue to refuse to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, she would disobey multiple court orders, she would take it all the way to the Supreme Court, she would disobey the Supreme Court's order, she would be charged with contempt (her contempt hearing is scheduled for Thursday), she would possibly wind up in prison and definitely wind up losing her job. Then she would "write" a book about her traumatic experiences—a book is doubtless already being ghostwritten for her—and finally spend the rest of her life on the rightwing speaking circuit playing the persecuted Christian martyr lady. I saw it coming and I didn't want to help build Davis up—I didn't want to help cash in—but my efforts to ignore her didn't in the end slow her rise to fame. The events this morning in Rowan County have led the news summary on NPR all day and are currently the top story on the homepage of New York Times. But no one is stating the obvious: this isn't about Kim Davis standing up for her supposed principles—proof in a moment—it's about Kim Davis cashing in. There's a big pile of sweet, sweet bigot money out there waiting for her. If the owners of a pizza parlor could raise a million dollars just by threatening not to cater the gay wedding no one asked them to cater... just imagine how much of that sweet, sweet bigot money Kim Davis is going to rake in. I'm sure Kim Davis is already imagining it. ...
This sums it up pretty good
I can't even figure out all that. She got pregnant with a child from the man that would become her third husband shortly after divorcing her first husband and somehow convinced the man that would become her second husband to adopt all the kids she would have with the man that became her third husband? Did anyone else's head just explode? And she has the nerve to judge ANYONE's marriage in any way shape or form?

It’s no surprise that people routinely compartmentalize their beliefs. When it comes to morals, they pick and chose among the teachings of the Bible to satisfy themselves. I was watching a news item yesterday though, where two gay men came into the courthouse to apply for their marriage license for about the third time I think they said. They were accompanied by television cameras, obviously hoping to intimidate the woman into changing her mind. She still refused, saying that she was obeying a “higher power”. One of the men retorted that he didn’t believe in her God. NOT a good way to win people over, in my opinion. Remarks like that will simply help her to dig in her heels even harder, convincing her that she MUST be Right, because the other side represents the Devil.
I tried to put myself in her place. What if I were in a position like that, called upon to uphold a law that was obviously (to me) immoral? I certainly do sympathize with her position. It’s easy for us to say she should resign her position if she doesn’t feel she can issue licenses. But that would be like surrendering (to her). I’m not sure I would resign in her place either. At the same time I wouldn’t flout the law, either. It would be a difficult position to be in.

What can be said about people who are so over-the-top full of themselves, not to mention their nasty little tender egos.
www.usnews [dot]com /news/articles/2015/09/01/kentucky-clerk-fighting-gay-marriage-has-wed-four-times?src=usn_tw Kentucky Clerk Fighting Gay Marriage Has Wed Four Times A fellow gay marriage-resisting county clerk says 'that's forgivable.' The Kentucky county clerk facing potentially stiff penalties for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses has been married four times, raising questions of hypocrisy and selective application of the Bible to her life. The marriages are documented in court records obtained by U.S. News, which show that Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis divorced three times, first in 1994, then 2006 and again in 2008. She gave birth to twins five months after divorcing her first husband. They were fathered by her third husband but adopted by her second. Davis worked at the clerk's office at the time of each divorce and has since remarried. Davis has described her desire to strictly adhere to the Bible in stark terms and thus far has shown no sign of bending to court orders on same-sex marriage. She said Tuesday she fears going to hell for violating "a central teaching" of the Bible if she complies with the orders.
http://www.thestranger.com/blogs/slog/2015/09/01/22793219/i-suppose-i-should-say-something-about-kim-davis "… Anyway, I haven't written much about Kim Davis because I knew how this was going to play out after Davis first made the news: Davis would continue to refuse to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, she would disobey multiple court orders, she would take it all the way to the Supreme Court, she would disobey the Supreme Court's order, she would be charged with contempt (her contempt hearing is scheduled for Thursday), she would possibly wind up in prison and definitely wind up losing her job. Then she would "write" a book about her traumatic experiences—a book is doubtless already being ghostwritten for her—and finally spend the rest of her life on the rightwing speaking circuit playing the persecuted Christian martyr lady. I saw it coming and I didn't want to help build Davis up—I didn't want to help cash in—but my efforts to ignore her didn't in the end slow her rise to fame. The events this morning in Rowan County have led the news summary on NPR all day and are currently the top story on the homepage of New York Times. But no one is stating the obvious: this isn't about Kim Davis standing up for her supposed principles—proof in a moment—it's about Kim Davis cashing in. There's a big pile of sweet, sweet bigot money out there waiting for her. If the owners of a pizza parlor could raise a million dollars just by threatening not to cater the gay wedding no one asked them to cater... just imagine how much of that sweet, sweet bigot money Kim Davis is going to rake in. I'm sure Kim Davis is already imagining it. ...
This sums it up pretty good
I can't even figure out all that. She got pregnant with a child from the man that would become her third husband shortly after divorcing her first husband and somehow convinced the man that would become her second husband to adopt all the kids she would have with the man that became her third husband? Did anyone else's head just explode? And she has the nerve to judge ANYONE's marriage in any way shape or form?
She claims she didn't find Jesus until after all the marriages and births and is now forgiven. Lois
It's no surprise that people routinely compartmentalize their beliefs. When it comes to morals, they pick and chose among the teachings of the Bible to satisfy themselves. I was watching a news item yesterday though, where two gay men came into the courthouse to apply for their marriage license for about the third time I think they said. They were accompanied by television cameras, obviously hoping to intimidate the woman into changing her mind. She still refused, saying that she was obeying a "higher power". One of the men retorted that he didn't believe in her God. NOT a good way to win people over, in my opinion. Remarks like that will simply help her to dig in her heels even harder, convincing her that she MUST be Right, because the other side represents the Devil. I tried to put myself in her place. What if I were in a position like that, called upon to uphold a law that was obviously (to me) immoral? I certainly do sympathize with her position. It's easy for us to say she should resign her position if she doesn't feel she can issue licenses. But that would be like surrendering (to her). I'm not sure I would resign in her place either. At the same time I wouldn't flout the law, either. It would be a difficult position to be in.
The question remains: did she know about the conflict when she took the job? She put herself in the difficult position. It wasn't imposed upon her after the fact. She should never have taken a job that required her to be in conflict with her religion. She had to have known this issue would arise. Lois

Davis’s refusal to issue licenses is constantly blaring on our local media. What is most important about this case isn’t her Evangelical belief (she’s Apostolic BTW, literal interpretationist) but the manner in which she’s being used by the Liberty Council, a group of conservative lawyers backed by Jerry Falwell’s Liberty University. It is highly likely that she’s foot dragging in order to use her refusal to create a case to test the law. Now that she’s lost she will in all probability be used by the neo-con politicians to bolster their usual “war on Xtianity” ploy to galvanize the evangelical vote for the next election. I don’t know if Davis even knows that she is a pawn in this legal tussle or if she even cares. However I don’t doubt that her religious beliefs are real, at least to her. The real harm here is that a duly elected state official believes that her Bronze age philosophy trumps the Constitution, and she’s not alone. There are many other elected officials local, state and national who share her views and who act on them through this religious filter.
Cap’t Jack

She’s the latest martyr for the religious freedom propagandist crowd. We’re going to hear a lot about how she is suffering.

My position on this is that if she can’t fulfill the function of her job based on the law and social custom (as also held up by the law) she needs to quit and do something else. I’m sorry she can’t be true to her god but who is her god anyway? And what gives her and her god the right to trample on someone else’s rights as a US citizen ? Just wonderin’

My position on this is that if she can't fulfill the function of her job based on the law and social custom (as also held up by the law) she needs to quit and do something else. I'm sorry she can't be true to her god but who is her god anyway? And what gives her and her god the right to trample on someone else's rights as a US citizen ? Just wonderin'
Ego, lots and lots and lots of ego coupled with lots and lots of insecurity.
My position on this is that if she can't fulfill the function of her job based on the law and social custom (as also held up by the law) she needs to quit and do something else. I'm sorry she can't be true to her god but who is her god anyway? And what gives her and her god the right to trample on someone else's rights as a US citizen ? Just wonderin'
Ego, lots and lots and lots of ego coupled with lots and lots of insecurity. And lots and lots of backing by the likes of Jerry Falwell, Liberty University, et al.

Even the Governor is pissed but pointed out that out of the 120 county clerks, 117 have complied with Federal law and are issuing licenses. And knowing the nature of Kentucky elections, I’ll bet that all of them are WASPs. Three have decided to allow themselves to be martyrs to the cause.
Cap’t Jack

Even the Governor is pissed but pointed out that out of the 120 county clerks, 117 have complied with Federal law and are issuing licenses. And knowing the nature of Kentucky elections, I'll bet that all of them are WASPs. Three have decided to allow themselves to be martyrs to the cause. Cap't Jack
There should be a law in every jurisdiction that refusal to do a job one was hired for or elected to warrants immediate dismissal. The case can wend its way through the courts later. Lois

This woman is an agent of the state, if she somehow gets her way to practice religious freedom in the course of her official duties, separation of church and state is over. What will be the point in separation of church and state if any employee can cite religious freedom and do as they wish? I do not know why this is even a question for people.
Not that her personal life is germane, but it makes all this more outrageous that she is on marriage number 4 and at some point cheated on one of her husbands becoming pregnant by the other man with twins before divorcing her original husband and giving birth to them out of wedlock…but yes, affixing her signature to a marriage license of a gay couple will forever seer her conscience.

This woman is an agent of the state, if she somehow gets her way to practice religious freedom in the course of her official duties, separation of church and state is over. What will be the point in separation of church and state if any employee can cite religious freedom and do as they wish? I do not know why this is even a question for people. Not that her personal life is germane, but it makes all this more outrageous that she is on marriage number 4 and at some point cheated on one of her husbands becoming pregnant by the other man with twins before divorcing her original husband and giving birth to them out of wedlock...but yes, affixing her signature to a marriage license of a gay couple will forever seer her conscience.
My cousins are always good for answers to questions like these. On the marriage thing, she confessed her devotion to Christ in her current denomination AFTER all the divorces. So her slate was wiped clean, all was forgiven, now she is a Biblical literalist. I'm not interested enough in her case to check her track record as of that confession. As to the "why this is even a question", there is an article making the rounds that cites the State law that says she can't issue that marriage license. It completely ignores what is meant by "Supreme law of the land". The article says no matter what she does, she'll violate a law, and of course, there's God's law, which if we'd just all follow that everything would be so much easier. I did challenge my cousin to tell me how to sort out all of the laws of the Bible and he admitted he couldn't. That was a huge step for him.
This woman is an agent of the state, if she somehow gets her way to practice religious freedom in the course of her official duties, separation of church and state is over. What will be the point in separation of church and state if any employee can cite religious freedom and do as they wish? I do not know why this is even a question for people. Not that her personal life is germane, but it makes all this more outrageous that she is on marriage number 4 and at some point cheated on one of her husbands becoming pregnant by the other man with twins before divorcing her original husband and giving birth to them out of wedlock...but yes, affixing her signature to a marriage license of a gay couple will forever seer her conscience.
My cousins are always good for answers to questions like these. On the marriage thing, she confessed her devotion to Christ in her current denomination AFTER all the divorces. So her slate was wiped clean, all was forgiven, now she is a Biblical literalist. I'm not interested enough in her case to check her track record as of that confession. As to the "why this is even a question", there is an article making the rounds that cites the State law that says she can't issue that marriage license. It completely ignores what is meant by "Supreme law of the land". The article says no matter what she does, she'll violate a law, and of course, there's God's law, which if we'd just all follow that everything would be so much easier. I did challenge my cousin to tell me how to sort out all of the laws of the Bible and he admitted he couldn't. That was a huge step for him. Yes, I had a discussion on facebook about the fact that she supposedly just decided to dedicate her life to Christianity "four years ago" and thus there are those saying that her past four marriages are all forgiven; to which I responded that if she was serious about her faith wouldn't she know that to continue to live with this subsequent husband is tantamount to adultery according to her scriptures? To rectify this, she needs to return back to her first husband. :) She can't have her cake and eat it too, if she is dead serious about all of this, which she apparently is. There has also been the video of her circulating around in which two guys seeking a marriage licenses question her under what authority she has to continue to deny couples issuing licenses and she shouts, "Gods Authority!" She can't even keep religious talk out of her job duties. It should be very clear to the courts she does not understand the simplest concepts...she is really dangerous to the government. Then right there in the office, she started saying "Jesus is the same today and forever." It's clear she is very unable to separate her religion and job, so the ball is in the court of the government now to do something about her.

Could be jail time
New York Daily News is blacklisted !?

www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ky-county-clerk-jail-gay-marriage-refusal-article-1.2347241 Could be jail time New York Daily News is blacklisted !?
Nepotism too - high'n mighty self-righteous have no scruples at all. Well at least when it comes to themselves.
Davis’s commitment to the sanctity of marriage is somewhat specious: She’s had four weddings and three husbands. One of her marriages lasted less than a year. The clerk does have one thing in her favor, with the gay couples who sued her encouraging Bunning to impose a fine rather than jail time. Davis got her job as the marriage license clerk from her mother — who held the position before her. Davis worked as her clerk for 27 years. When her mother stepped down, Davis was elected as a Democrat to succeed her in November. Soon after she got the job, Davis hired her own son to work for her. As an elected official, she can be removed only if the Legislature impeaches her, which is unlikely in a deeply conservative state.
Though, I guess it is a proud human tradition that we can justify any thing.
It's no surprise that people routinely compartmentalize their beliefs. When it comes to morals, they pick and chose among the teachings of the Bible to satisfy themselves. I was watching a news item yesterday though, where two gay men came into the courthouse to apply for their marriage license for about the third time I think they said. They were accompanied by television cameras, obviously hoping to intimidate the woman into changing her mind. She still refused, saying that she was obeying a "higher power". One of the men retorted that he didn't believe in her God. NOT a good way to win people over, in my opinion. Remarks like that will simply help her to dig in her heels even harder, convincing her that she MUST be Right, because the other side represents the Devil. I tried to put myself in her place. What if I were in a position like that, called upon to uphold a law that was obviously (to me) immoral? I certainly do sympathize with her position. It's easy for us to say she should resign her position if she doesn't feel she can issue licenses. But that would be like surrendering (to her). I'm not sure I would resign in her place either. At the same time I wouldn't flout the law, either. It would be a difficult position to be in.
I wonder if she and her supporters would feel similar sympathy for county clerks whose religious or ethical beliefs support LGBT equality, who for so many years, had to tell gay couples: "Sorry, I wish I could give you a marriage license, but the law doesn't allow me to." Does she think they should have followed their beliefs and issued the licenses anyway?

Taken into custody, didn’t expect that

I tried to put myself in her place. What if I were in a position like that, called upon to uphold a law that was obviously (to me) immoral? I certainly do sympathize with her position. It's easy for us to say she should resign her position if she doesn't feel she can issue licenses. But that would be like surrendering (to her). I'm not sure I would resign in her place either. At the same time I wouldn't flout the law, either. It would be a difficult position to be in.
I think you need to ask the question correctly. It's not just a matter of being in a position of thinking something is immoral. It's a matter of being able to make your case that is immoral. When my worldview comes in conflict with my job, my friends, wherever, I don't rely on a small group of people using a small set of texts to justify their stand. I rely on a lifetime of study in the wisdom of all the ages and a foundation in working through questions using logic and reason. I engage people in discussion, I don't just repeat canned beliefs.

Yes, she was taken into custody by Federal Marshals and in my home town! As you probably heard, the judge didn’t issue any fines because he felt that they would be quickly paid by the conservative org. backing the case. Could be jail time for this religious martyr, and a Federal jail at that. Now I wonder if the other two potential martyrs will follow suit or back down. Already the Neo-cons running for pres. are using it as a cause célèbre for their campaigns. Rubio and Huckaby are heating up the talk shows decrying the attack on Xtianity. Watch Trump chime in too!
Cap’t Jack