Confronting the myth that over-population is no problem

Recently I was made aware of a whole poop load of videos and articles dismissing the crisis of humanity’s Population Explosion. Demanding evident that over population is a bad thing and touting all the wonders of ballistic progress and rise in consumption options.

So I figured we might as well have a dedicated thread to the topic.

EXHIBIT #ONE

By 2030, it’s estimated that it 1 in 4 people on the planet will live in a slum or other informal settlement. Let’s take a tour of the world’s biggest slums:

• Khayelitsha in Cape Town (South Africa): 400,000
  • Kibera in Nairobi (Kenya): 700,000
  • Dharavi in Mumbai (India): 1,000,000
  • Neza (Mexico): 1,200,000
  • Orangi Town in Karachi (Pakistan): 2,400,000

Due to population growth and the migration trend from rural areas to cities, these slums are clearly here to stay .

https://www.discogs.com/release/1414002-Crisis-What-Crisis/images
(source: www. discogs. com)

Any thought?

1 Like

The context of the population discussion was that it was being used to blame for climate change in order to justify the ludicrous suggestion that depopulation is the answer to preventing earth reaching a 1.5 average degree increase in global temperatures.

So then why are you being so dishonest here?

You come across as a genuine clown, or worse, someone who’s never seriously studied any science, geography, geology, ecology, evolution, nor world history for that matter.

The damages of over population are not at all limited to warming our planet you silly goose!

How is it that you manage be blind to the fact that at this point our human population explosion IMPACTS EVERY ASPECT OF OUR PLANET AND ITS BIOSPHERE’S “WAYS AND MEANS”. That is simply cold facts, but I guess you got FOX, so don’t need any stinking facts.

Besides, looking at the world’s track record as of 2021, it’s already too late to stop our climate from passing that 1.5°C increase.

These changes are happening with average warming of just 1.1 degrees C (1.98 degrees F) over pre-industrial levels. The newest report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), world’s most authoritative body on climate science, finds that this is just a taste of what’s to come.

The IPCC Working Group I sixth assessment report shows that the world will probably reach or exceed 1.5 degrees C (2.7 degrees F) of warming within just the next two decades. Whether we limit warming to this level and prevent the most severe climate impacts depends on actions taken this decade.

Only with ambitious emissions cuts can the world keep global temperature rise to 1.5 degrees C, the limit scientists say is necessary for preventing the worst climate impacts. Under a high-emissions scenario, the IPCC finds the world may warm by 4.4 degrees C by 2100 — with catastrophic results.

Oh trippy69, have I got a movie for you, though it would probably fly right past you, still if you’re ever bored:

1 Like

That’s a good movie.

I just watched that yesterday.

Yes, rather familiar. unfortunately.

Me too actually. :slight_smile:

“ You come across as a genuine clown,”

Already seen it ages ago and who is the clown here ? You’re the guy in the film that says the comet would be good to depopulate the earth ! What an own goal

See I knew that movie would fly right over your head.

You are a silly character 69.
A malicious one, but that simply seems to be the right wing mentality these days.

A parody of your beloved corporate media’s attitude towards the catastrophic climate change in this overpopulated world of yours. Who is the silly one?

or Blah, Blah, Blah and that’s pretty much it.

Well, I did forecast that it would fly right over 69’s head - the character doesn’t reflect the spectrum of experiences or learning to know any better.
But that’s what we are dealing with, angry undereducated, entitled, victimize feeling, because there’s no depth to their knowledge.

This could fall right into the recent humanism thread, but as much as I love my decades of living in the rural southwest at arms length from our local town, I feel totally blessed at growing up in the Lakeview District of Chicago and with parent who took full advantage of all the museums and orchestral concerts and a mom who was constantly pointing out the wonder the landscape we happened to be in. And so on and so forth.

It’s sad, but parents and environment really make all the difference in the world. Timing helps too, it was easier to be broke back then, then it is now and lots of those wonderful places were free, or quite cheap. We Baby Boomers, really are one of the most fortunate generations that ever existed on this planet. But we took too much for granted, though not getting into that now. I’m heading to bed.

Lots of words but sadly lacking on the topic of population and the film you introduced here for who knows what point

I’m a climate scientist. Don’t Look Up captures the madness I see every day

[Peter Kalmus]
The movie Don’t Look Up is satire. But speaking as a climate scientist doing everything I can to wake people up and avoid planetary destruction, it’s also the most accurate film about society’s terrifying non-response to climate breakdown I’ve seen.

The film, from director Adam McKay and writer David Sirota, tells the story of astronomy grad student Kate Dibiasky (Jennifer Lawrence) and her PhD adviser, Dr Randall Mindy (Leonardo DiCaprio), who discover a comet – a “planet killer” – that will impact the Earth in just over six months. The certainty of impact is 99.7%, as certain as just about anything in science.

(https://web.archive.org/web/20211229211809/https://www.theguardian.com/profile/peter-kalmus)

1 Like

So you’re saying you’re not 100% sure :wink:

It’s brilliant satire,
Reality is probably worse

So, you do get it. …

A long long time ago

What’s the carbon footprint of a Mexican slum dweller compared with yours?

1 Like

Minuscule.
My carbon footprint is very small compared to the average middle class American’s carbon footprint.
What’s your point?

Does it make a difference to the facts surrounding this situation?

And since then nothing has changed about the science, except for an increasingly sharer image of what we are doing to this planet.

We are at the ugly point, the destructive extreme weather will only continue, there will be cascades of ugly impacting huge portions of our population and the supply lines that keep the rest of us alive and healthy these days.

I believe that only those who honestly assess the current situation have a change of skirting past cascading catastrophes. Continued delusional thinking will only speed the worst outcomes into our lives. COVID being an excellent case in point.