Communication Breakdown

One thing I have noticed recently is the lack of straight talk in public discourse. People seem to discuss things in straight forward English less often. People don’t say the things that they actually mean. There is a lack of assertiveness in the social realm.
Another thing I have seen is the use of verbal cues in place of discussing things in straight forward English. People tend to make insinuations instead of statements. There is too much passive aggressive behavior. I think this has led to the decline of the social realm. I find this communication breakdown to be generally dysfunctional. Lack of communication prevents social progress.
Has anyone else noticed this?

There is too much passive aggressive behavior. I think this has led to the decline of the social realm. I find this communication breakdown to be generally dysfunctional. Lack of communication prevents social progress. Has anyone else noticed this?
It seems to be the new style of communication, largely spearheaded by income-hungry media. They even have a name for it - sound bytes. Stirring up emotions garners more attention to boost ratings. It doesn't matter about truth. What used to be news has turned into an intellectual WWF. Newspapers fill their pages with "pespective" and "opinion" designed to influence rather than inform. TV news pits panels of squawking heads against each other with the modern equivalent of the newscaster prodding the participants to battle. It's sickening whatever side of the political spectrum you inhabit. And sickening is probably the appropriate description. As you note, it is breaking down society by morphing communication and even the way we perceive each other as potential victims for our bile - as noted even within the atheist community - http://www.patheos.com/blogs/dogmadebate/2017/06/reasonably-controversial-regressive-left-killing-atheist-movement/. Quite noticeable within these forums. It isn't just disrupting communications, it is prompting us to diminish our view of our fellow human beings. No wonder some individuals erupt in orgies of mass violence.

Communication styles have definitely changed in some areas. It probably has a lot to do with there being more women (and effeminate men) in public life, and simply navigating a more diverse society. People are less sure of what to say and how to say it. The PC culture feeds off this in areas like colleges and many workplaces in a huge way.

And there are those people who talk like the laugh tracks on TV. They say something and then laugh. I can’t help but wonder if these people grew up watching too much TV.

This is probably related to the huge surge in teenage suicides lately. One theory is that social media doesn’t allow the face-to-face contact that they need to develop social skills. As for me, since I got a Facebook page, I’ve never used it. People are just so abusive when they disagree with you about something.

Don’t take this personal, but I see a lot of people abusing terms like “passive aggressive”. I know what you mean, people aren’t direct. By that, I mean, own their feelings. Rather than say they are offended or they took something as an attack, they claim what said simply IS offensive, based on some standard that they can refer to but can’t articulate. They heard something on NPR, and you used a certain word, now you are a .
It seems the skill of rhetoric is now important than the skill of having a position. I’m fine with devil’s advocates or thinking things through or speculating, but say you are doing that. Instead, people take a stand, like “I’m a vegan”, without knowing what the hell they are talking about. If you have even one book about the philosophical, ethical or environmental or health issues about veganism, you can expose them in about 5 minutes with a few questions. Great fun at parties.

This is probably related to the huge surge in teenage suicides lately. One theory is that social media doesn't allow the face-to-face contact that they need to develop social skills. As for me, since I got a Facebook page, I've never used it. People are just so abusive when they disagree with you about something.
Facebook tells me every day how many days in a row I've posted. I was up to 184 then I went where I didn't have service for a day. I post about fake news, I debunk, and I've made the transition from arguing to discussing values. Some people are beyond hope, and even you try to find agreement on the lowest denominator, like agree that killing babies is bad, they just want to disagree.

It is social media style communication in my opinion.

One thing I have noticed recently is the lack of straight talk in public discourse. People seem to discuss things in straight forward English less often. People don't say the things that they actually mean. There is a lack of assertiveness in the social realm. Another thing I have seen is the use of verbal cues in place of discussing things in straight forward English. People tend to make insinuations instead of statements. There is too much passive aggressive behavior. I think this has led to the decline of the social realm. I find this communication breakdown to be generally dysfunctional. Lack of communication prevents social progress. Has anyone else noticed this?
People have done this sort of thing for millennia. There is nothing new about it. People have always been "passive aggressive" , made insinuations instead of statements and some people have always been accused of lacking communication skills. (it's always someone else and not "us" who do those things.) "Social breakdown" and "communication breakdown" are opinions. Those phrases are thrown around when people disagree with each other, and the "other guy" is always considered to be at fault for causing it, certainly not "us", the superior ones who are on the right side of every issue and know how to communicate. Lois Spam line, spam line.