Check out Meet the Press tomorrow 12/16/2014 Nye vs. GOP's Blackburn AGW

I don’t have the time for the Sunday political talkies, but I may have to make an exception.
Tomorrow’s Meet the Press might be interesting.
I’m gonna have to find out if they stream it.

FRIDAY, FEB 14, 2014 11:48 AM MST “Meet the Press" to host climate change “debate" between GOP’s Marsha Blackburn and Bill Nye “the Science Guy" If it's Sunday, it's the overwhelming consensus of the scientific community being treated as a partisan argument ALEX PAREENE http://www.salon.com/2014/02/14/meet_the_press_to_host_climate_change_debate_between_republican_marsha_blackburn_and_kids_show_host_bill_nye_the_science_guy/ This Sunday, “Meet the Press," the renowned televised political news forum, will host a discussion of climate change — perhaps the single most pressing issue of our time — featuring a professional children’s entertainer and a Republican member of Congress. Yes, David Gregory will be refereeing a “debate" — their word — between “Bill Nye ‘The Science Guy’ and Tennessee Republican Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn, Vice Chair of the House Energy and Commerce Committee." Nye will be arguing the pro (climate change is real and bad) and Blackburn will be arguing the anti (climate change is made up and not bad). By the end, America will be just a little bit more stupid and doomed.
". . . What’s insulting (and insane) is that there is to be a “debate" at all, on one of America’s supposed premier news talk shows. What’s scary is that the side of this debate that is wrong, and that is wrong in a way that will very probably lead to worldwide disaster in a few generations, is taken seriously because it is the side taken by one of America’s two dominant political parties."

For the record that last quote isn’t me, it’s Alex Pareene

I have the misfortune of being “represented” by Ms. Blackburn. The woman isn’t very bright, and while I’m certain Nye will mop the floor with her, I doubt if it’ll make any difference to her supporters in this area (the local TV stations all run televangelists instead of the Sunday political shows).

I don't have the time for the Sunday political talkies, but I may have to make an exception. Tomorrow's Meet the Press might be interesting. I'm gonna have to find out if they stream it.
FRIDAY, FEB 14, 2014 11:48 AM MST “Meet the Press" to host climate change “debate" between GOP’s Marsha Blackburn and Bill Nye “the Science Guy" If it's Sunday, it's the overwhelming consensus of the scientific community being treated as a partisan argument ALEX PAREENE http://www.salon.com/2014/02/14/meet_the_press_to_host_climate_change_debate_between_republican_marsha_blackburn_and_kids_show_host_bill_nye_the_science_guy/ This Sunday, “Meet the Press," the renowned televised political news forum, will host a discussion of climate change — perhaps the single most pressing issue of our time — featuring a professional children’s entertainer and a Republican member of Congress. Yes, David Gregory will be refereeing a “debate" — their word — between “Bill Nye ‘The Science Guy’ and Tennessee Republican Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn, Vice Chair of the House Energy and Commerce Committee." Nye will be arguing the pro (climate change is real and bad) and Blackburn will be arguing the anti (climate change is made up and not bad). By the end, America will be just a little bit more stupid and doomed.
". . . What’s insulting (and insane) is that there is to be a “debate" at all, on one of America’s supposed premier news talk shows. What’s scary is that the side of this debate that is wrong, and that is wrong in a way that will very probably lead to worldwide disaster in a few generations, is taken seriously because it is the side taken by one of America’s two dominant political parties."
I can't imagine a more unbalanced debate. But it will probably be entertaining. Why not someone with a science background who denies climate change? Well, I admit they probably couldn't find one, so Blackburn might be the best of a bad lot. Blackburn "attended Mississippi State University, earning a B.S.in home economics. In college, she joined Chi Omega and worked as a student manager for the Southwestern Company, selling books door-to-door." With a background like that she's eminently qualified to debate climate change--at least from a Republican's point of view--about as qualified as she is to be on the Energy and Commerce committee. How she wangled that is anyone's guess. Incidentally, Southwestern Company has an "interesting" way of selling books. It's a typical Republican way of doing business that provides no salary and no benefits to the salespeople. See the Wikipedia article on the company. Interesting reading. Lois

She’s Chi Omega? That explains things. Where I went to college, there was a nasty little ditty people sang about the Chi Omega sorority. I’d bet if I could get a bunch of people to sing that ditty at her speeches (as a form of protest), she’d go nuts.

She's Chi Omega? That explains things. Where I went to college, there was a nasty little ditty people sang about the Chi Omega sorority. I'd bet if I could get a bunch of people to sing that ditty at her speeches (as a form of protest), she'd go nuts.
Sounds like a great idea. Try it! Lois
She's Chi Omega? That explains things. Where I went to college, there was a nasty little ditty people sang about the Chi Omega sorority. I'd bet if I could get a bunch of people to sing that ditty at her speeches (as a form of protest), she'd go nuts.
Sounds like a great idea. Try it! LoisI've put a bug into the ear of my college buddy who taught it to me about the idea. Have to see what he says. Given that he sings in a gay men's chorus, I think he can find plenty of people who'd be willing to do it.

I didn’t get to see this live but I did watch it here

Bill Nye didn’t get to speak half as much as Tennessee Republican Rep. Marsha Blackburn but I think he did a decent job when he did speak. Is it just me or do others wish they could just wipe that obnoxious grin off Blackburn’s face? Did someone paint that thing on her? It looks exactly the same when she is politely saying hello, insulting her opponent, or lying through her teeth.

I watched it live and as you can clearly see from the video Blackburn’s retorts were already planned and most of it went to the “cost effectiveness” angle. Of course she introduced doubt by alluding to “a hypothesis” and even threw in the word theory which she clearly didn’t understand while Nye just shook his head and rolled his eyes as if to say “well,here we go again”. I was hoping that it would be a longer segment too. He did hold a picture of Antartica which clearly showed the shrinking ice shelf which I thought was poignant while talking about the rise in the oceans. Meanwhile his opponent just flashed a pretentious smile.
Cap’t Jack

He did hold a picture of Antartica which clearly showed the shrinking ice shelf...
No he didn't. He held up a picture of the Arctic and falsely claimed it was the the Antarctic. If the Science Guy needs a refresher, basically Antarctica is at the South Pole while the Arctic is the North Pole. But hey, he was only off by about 12,400 miles! :-) And while Arctic Sea Ice is approximately 5.25% below normal, Antarctic Sea Ice Extent is 27.4% above normal as of the beginning of February, 2014.

Evidence please. And while we’re at it NASA disagrees with your statement. New instrumentation they placed there show the ice shelf melting as much as 8 centimeters daily since 2012. And how the hell would anyone watching know the difference? He flashed the picture for, what one or two seconds?

Cap’t Jack

And what about the Pine Island Glacier? A gigantic chunk broke off forming a 278 acre iceberg that is melting as we speak. Not only will this Antarctic melting cause an eventual rise in water levels but it is changing the salinity of the Oceans and even this will affect the North Ameican Oscillation Current which could herald a new ice age.

Cap’t Jack

Looks like Bill should have gone to Utah.]

Utah has a fair share of air quality problems – in fact, Salt Lake City is often rated as one of the most polluted cities in the nation. But one lawmaker suggests that the problem isn’t too much CO2 in the atmosphere, but rather, there’s not enough. To help remedy that, State Rep. Jerry Anderson (R-Price) is proposing a bill that would limit the state’s ability to regulate pollution, giving air polluters even more freedom to spew all the greenhouse gas emissions they want into the atmosphere.
He did hold a picture of Antartica which clearly showed the shrinking ice shelf...
No he didn't. He held up a picture of the Arctic and falsely claimed it was the the Antarctic. If the Science Guy needs a refresher, basically Antarctica is at the South Pole while the Arctic is the North Pole. But hey, he was only off by about 12,400 miles! :-) And while Arctic Sea Ice is approximately 5.25% below normal, Antarctic Sea Ice Extent is 27.4% above normal as of the beginning of February, 2014. Rocinante, you too should become more familiar with the subject before drawing conclusion on numbers you don't understand. For starters that extra sea Ice extent is winter ice, that comes and goes with every season Here check out this video: Antarctic Sea Ice Growth Time Lapse from AMSRE 2002-2007 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLCfF7BLii4 There are several reasons for this recent enhanced ice growth and all of them are in line with global warming scenarios. If you want to learn about it, here's a great introduction: http://www.skepticalscience.com/antarctica-gaining-ice-intermediate.htm ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ What irritating (actually dishonest) is when "science skeptics" wave that meme around pretending that's the end of the story, they feel fine ignoring details such as
Warm Ocean Causing Most Antarctic Ice Shelf Mass Loss June 13, 2013 http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/earth20130613.html#.UwYedv1shg1 "The traditional view on Antarctic mass loss is it is almost entirely controlled by iceberg calving," said Eric Rignot of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., and the University of California, Irvine. Rignot is lead author of the study to be published in the June 14 issue of the journal Science. "Our study shows melting from below by the ocean waters is larger, and this should change our perspective on the evolution of the ice sheet in a warming climate." Rates of basal melt of Antarctic ice shelves (melting of the shelves from underneath) overlaid on a 2009 mosaic of Antarctica created from data from NASA's Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) instrument aboard NASA's Terra and Aqua spacecraft. Red shades denote melt rates of less than 5 meters (16.4 feet) per year (freezing conditions), while blue shades represent melt rates of greater than 5 meters (16.4 feet) per year (melting conditions). The perimeters of the ice shelves in 2007-2008, excluding ice rises and ice islands, are shown by thin black lines. Each circular graph is proportional in area to the total ice mass loss measured from each ice shelf, in gigatons per year, with the proportion of ice lost due to the calving of icebergs denoted by hatched lines and the proportion due to basal melting denoted in black. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/UC Irvine/Columbia University
Ice Sheet Loss at Both Poles Increasing, Study Finds November 29, 2012 http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/Grace/news/grace20121129.html
We’re Still Losing Ice at the Poles By Phil Plait http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/12/14/global_warming_ice_loss_continues.html
Evidence please.
http://www.climatedepot.com/2014/02/16/nye-goofs-holds-up-pic-of-arctic-while-talking-about-antarctic-watch-bill-nye-debate-gop-rep-marsha-blackburn-nye-hold-up-pic-of-arctic-and-then-asks-if-antarctic-has-less-ice-climate-depot-answ/
Evidence please.
http://www.climatedepot.com/2014/02/16/nye-goofs-holds-up-pic-of-arctic-while-talking-about-antarctic-watch-bill-nye-debate-gop-rep-marsha-blackburn-nye-hold-up-pic-of-arctic-and-then-asks-if-antarctic-has-less-ice-climate-depot-answ/ OH JEZZ THAT'S THE BEST YOU GOT and you are satisfied with that? >:-( ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
What's irritating (actually dishonest) is when "science skeptics" wave that meme around pretending that's the end of the story, they feel fine ignoring details such as
Warm Ocean Causing Most Antarctic Ice Shelf Mass Loss June 13, 2013 http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/earth20130613.html#.UwYedv1shg1 "The traditional view on Antarctic mass loss is it is almost entirely controlled by iceberg calving," said Eric Rignot of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., and the University of California, Irvine. Rignot is lead author of the study to be published in the June 14 issue of the journal Science. "Our study shows melting from below by the ocean waters is larger, and this should change our perspective on the evolution of the ice sheet in a warming climate." Rates of basal melt of Antarctic ice shelves (melting of the shelves from underneath) overlaid on a 2009 mosaic of Antarctica created from data from NASA's Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) instrument aboard NASA's Terra and Aqua spacecraft. Red shades denote melt rates of less than 5 meters (16.4 feet) per year (freezing conditions), while blue shades represent melt rates of greater than 5 meters (16.4 feet) per year (melting conditions). The perimeters of the ice shelves in 2007-2008, excluding ice rises and ice islands, are shown by thin black lines. Each circular graph is proportional in area to the total ice mass loss measured from each ice shelf, in gigatons per year, with the proportion of ice lost due to the calving of icebergs denoted by hatched lines and the proportion due to basal melting denoted in black. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/UC Irvine/Columbia University
Ice Sheet Loss at Both Poles Increasing, Study Finds November 29, 2012 http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/Grace/news/grace20121129.html
We’re Still Losing Ice at the Poles By Phil Plait http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/12/14/global_warming_ice_loss_continues.html

Remember, somewhere along the line this was supposed to be about learning about our planet… not a political game.
But, no instead we let Reagan convince us greed was good, and too hell with future generations?

see previous post for details

OH JEZZ THAT'S THE BEST YOU GOT
The National Snow and Ice Data Center says so: http://nsidc.org/news/press/2013_minimum_final.html The Smithsonian says so: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/why-is-antarcticas-sea-ice-growing-as-temperatures-rise-180947775/ National Geographic says so: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/04/130401-global-warming-antarctica-sea-ice-science-environment/#.UwjAMfk2xq0 NASA says so: http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/WorldOfChange/sea_ice_south.php

Rocinante, I see you are very good at picking cherries. Why don’t you look at the overall picture?

Just because you don’t like something, doesn’t make it cherry picking. It is an undeniable fact that the Antarctic Ice is going up despite the AGW prediction that it should have gone the opposite direction.
The simple fact of the matter is that the debate is not over. From 1995 to at least 2010 (and probably the present) there was no statistically-significant global warming. That’s a fact that even big names in the AGW camp now admit.
As a society, we should have an honest discussion on this topic. The AGW camp has some important points that need to be put out there and addressed. But the demagoguery of global warming by the left does not help the environment and their multiple failed predictions and sky-is-falling claims only serves to cause the public to tune them out. And just as the AGW proponents need to be heard with some legitimate concerns of theirs, those skeptical of catastrophic AGW also have equally legitimate points. Thus, the debate is not over. We all need to have an honest discussion of this issue.