Caverns on Moon

Scientists Detect Massive Caverns on Moon That Could House Colony
Wait, that should be IN Moon. Holes in Moon cheese?

A massive space like this could serve as a location to study the internal structure of the moon, as well as build a colony. Without an atmosphere or magnetic field, the moon’s surface doesn’t offer any protection from radiation. Any extended stay on the moon (or Mars, for that matter) would require heavy shielding to prevent excessive radiation exposure, but you don’t need to build something on the surface to do that when the moon’s regolith does the job fine when you’re underground. There’s a lot of hype about colonizing Mars, but the moon is looking like an even more attractive place to start.
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/257708-scientists-detect-massive-caverns-moon-house-colony
Scientists Detect Massive Caverns on Moon That Could House Colony Wait, that should be IN Moon. Holes in Moon cheese?
A massive space like this could serve as a location to study the internal structure of the moon, as well as build a colony. Without an atmosphere or magnetic field, the moon’s surface doesn’t offer any protection from radiation. Any extended stay on the moon (or Mars, for that matter) would require heavy shielding to prevent excessive radiation exposure, but you don’t need to build something on the surface to do that when the moon’s regolith does the job fine when you’re underground. There’s a lot of hype about colonizing Mars, but the moon is looking like an even more attractive place to start.
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/257708-scientists-detect-massive-caverns-moon-house-colony
That's some amazing stuff. I didn't know about all that. Caves on the moon, okay huge lava tubes but still, who'd a thud it.\ thanks psik

We should have drones on the Moon prospecting for materials.
Now we need something to make spray on foam that can vacuum seal and serve as insulation in the caverns.
psik

Then what would you do?
Then what would you do?
:cheese:

…A little chiuahua here. (LOL).

I read a while back that the reason why Nasa never went back to the moon is because they found a hostile aliens living there already.
It makes one wonder if this is bull, then why did they not go back?

. It makes one wonder if this is bull, then why did they not go back?
Beat the Russians, cost too much money, didn't advance political careers. Politicians aren't too bright. Nixon shut down thorium molten salt reactors. That might be more important than going back to Moon, but we don't know because 30 years of research was not done. psik

It’s not the money. it could be the other reasons, but it’s not the money. Not long ago, it was exposed that they (NASA) proceeded to build this tower, half way through, they found out it was not going to work but they kept on finishing it anyway. Guess what the price tag was??? 350 million dollars!!! Google it. And there are other instances where they carelessly blow money to the left and to the right while veterans are living under the bridges.

Guess what the price tag was?!?!? 350 million dollars!!!!
You specified the amount. Provide the link.
I Not long ago, it was exposed that they (NASA) proceeded to build this tower, half way through, they found out it was not going to work but they kept on finishing it anyway. Guess what the price tag was?!?!? 350 million dollars!!!! Google it. And there are other instances where they carelessly blow money to the left and to the right while veterans are living under the bridges.
Found it! We seem to have a problem here regarding why this happened.
The rocket program it was designed for had been canceled in 2010. But, at first, cautious NASA bureaucrats didn’t want to stop the construction on their own authority. And then Congress — at the urging of a senator from Mississippi — swooped in and ordered the agency to finish the tower, no matter what.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/12/15/nasas-349-million-monument-to-its-drift/?utm_term=.5fcb6181fc93 The question was why they did not go back to the Moon. So that has to be explained by things that happened before 2000, not something that you say wasted money in 2010.

From what I understand, the reason why we didn’t keep going to the moon was because the original political reason to go there, to develop ICBM tech, became less and less relevant. Politicians generally don’t give a crap about furthering science or tech except where it impacts their power.
However, nowadays it’s becoming more and more clear that whoever starts truly mining the moon and other astronomical objects for resources will be hugely powerful - we just haven’t had the right politician with enough foresight to get on board, and the private industry still has a fair bit of catching up to do.

Guess what the price tag was?!?!? 350 million dollars!!!!
You specified the amount. Provide the link. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-01-09/in-mississippi-nasas-350-million-tower-of-pork I typed this: "NASA 350 million tower" and I got I think no less than 420k results. But we only need the first page really. Thanks for asking :smile:
I Not long ago, it was exposed that they (NASA) proceeded to build this tower, half way through, they found out it was not going to work but they kept on finishing it anyway. Guess what the price tag was?!?!? 350 million dollars!!!! Google it. And there are other instances where they carelessly blow money to the left and to the right while veterans are living under the bridges.
Found it! We seem to have a problem here regarding why this happened.
The rocket program it was designed for had been canceled in 2010. But, at first, cautious NASA bureaucrats didn’t want to stop the construction on their own authority. And then Congress — at the urging of a senator from Mississippi — swooped in and ordered the agency to finish the tower, no matter what.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/12/15/nasas-349-million-monument-to-its-drift/?utm_term=.5fcb6181fc93 The question was why they did not go back to the Moon. So that has to be explained by things that happened before 2000, not something that you say wasted money in 2010. didn't see this til I got you the link in response to your first reply. Just so you know. As to wasting money is concerned. I am sorry but I think it's a waste of money nonetheless. Whether TPTB acknowledge it or not.
From what I understand, the reason why we didn't keep going to the moon was because the original political reason to go there, to develop ICBM tech, became less and less relevant. Politicians generally don't give a crap about furthering science or tech except where it impacts their power. However, nowadays it's becoming more and more clear that whoever starts truly mining the moon and other astronomical objects for resources will be hugely powerful - we just haven't had the right politician with enough foresight to get on board, and the private industry still has a fair bit of catching up to do.
With aaaaaaall money it gets, it STILL needs "the right politician"? common. I have a better suggestion: How about we kick all of them out and bring in news crews to do the job for half or quarter the price? And we get them to create jobs for those who have none, with the rest of the left over money?
With aaaaaaall money it gets, it STILL needs "the right politician"? common. I have a better suggestion: How about we kick all of them out and bring in news crews to do the job for half or quarter the price? And we get them to create jobs for those who have none, with the rest of the left over money?
By "it" do you mean NASA? I suggest you go find some estimates on how much it would cost to build a moon base, and look at NASA's current annual budget.
By "it" do you mean NASA? I suggest you go find some estimates on how much it would cost to build a moon base, and look at NASA's current annual budget. :lol: The devil is in the details. Then cost estimates on a realistic functioning mining complex. Seems to me it would be more realistic to figure out how to make do with what we have on this Earth. But it ain't going to go that way, is it? The love of ravenous consumption until there's nothing left to consume but ourselves. Think I'll have a swiss cheese sandwich for lunch, and dream of the days when there was a man in the moon. :)
Then cost estimates on a realistic functioning mining complex. Seems to me it would be more realistic to figure out how to make do with what we have on this Earth. But it ain't going to go that way, is it? The love of ravenous consumption until there's nothing left to consume but ourselves. Think I'll have a swiss cheese sandwich for lunch, and dream of the days when there was a man in the moon. :)
There are mineral reserves in space that simply aren't easily available here on Earth. One notable one on the Moon is tritium. Plus, on the Moon the lack of atmosphere means that whoever mines there doesn't have to deal with atmospheric/water pressure in the same way we do here on Earth when it comes to deep mining. Besides, I'm sure there are critics in every economy: why would Rome bother with the expense of importing Egyptian grains when they can grow their own crops? The "let's take care of our own first" view is just not productive, historically or now. Countries that "take care of their own first" get overrun by those who explore.
There are mineral reserves in space that simply aren't easily available here on Earth. .
how does a mineral become a "reserve"? psik
By "it" do you mean NASA? I suggest you go find some estimates on how much it would cost to build a moon base, and look at NASA's current annual budget. How about you tell me how are they going to make up for the 350 millions $'s they are already wasting here and there?... first? Based on the evidence they seem to believe that they can go ahead and just blow the cash away with full impunity.
How about you tell me how are they going to make up for the 350 millions $'s they are already wasting here and there?... first? Based on the evidence they seem to believe that they can go ahead and just blow the cash away with full impunity.
Uh, what? Backtracking to that story you quoted, it seems like Congress wasted that money, not NASA. Can you please clarify who you're talking about?
There are mineral reserves in space that simply aren't easily available here on Earth. .
how does a mineral become a "reserve"? psik https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_resource_estimation