Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin' (Official Audio)

[Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin' (Official Audio) - YouTube]

All is said, times are changing and many people cannot live with it.

From 1600 to 1930, man was destabilized by three discoveries: Earth is not at the center of universe, man is an animal, and man has a subconscious, not always rational and full of dark desires. Result was fascism.

I don’t say that it is the only reason, but it is one among others.

Today, we learn that we are interdependent with nature, and with COVID that it can kills us. We learn that we are able to destroy nature and our civilisation, and we learn that human nature is not only biologically determined, that the very basic classifications upon which our societies are built are not wholly true.

We understand that we must change our ways of producing goods, of distributing them, of consuming them.

Many cannot bear it and we get Trump and many others.

May be this topic is not at its right place. a moderator can change it.

1 Like

Well said, worth repeating. Hope no one minds a look at the entire poem in writing.

Come gather ‘round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You’ll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth savin’
And you better start swimmin’
Or you’ll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin’

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won’t come again
And don’t speak too soon
For the wheel’s still in spin
And there’s no tellin’ who
That it’s namin’
For the loser now
Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don’t stand in the doorway
Don’t block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
The battle outside ragin’
Will soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don’t criticize
What you can’t understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin’
Please get out of the new one
If you can’t lend your hand

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is rapidly fadin’
And the first one now
Will later be last

Source: LyricFind

Songwriters: Bob Dylan

The Times They Are A-Changin’ lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

As moderator, I’m not sure I can move a thread to another topic. No big deal.

As me, I’ve been amazed throughout the decades how that song has remained relevant. Dylan didn’t have a pulse of a generation, he tapped into the cycles we all go through. The most frustrating thing about getting old is that people perceive you as old while still can’t believe that they let you manage money and occasionally accept your ideas at some big boardroom meeting.

Maybe the times are supposed to be always changing. I don’t mean we need to invent a new buzzword for an economic system or storm a Bastille every 20 years, but if you make it past 27, you should be pretty disappointed in the world that you inherited. That’s about the point that your favorite music becomes “oldies” or “classics”.

Maybe the thing he got he wrong was that the “order is rapidly fadin’”. He was too short-sighted, a mistake of youth, and saw the order as Jesse Helms and Chairman Mao. Those were replaced, but by what? A different order.

Here in the land of copper and nickel mining, people who have been tauting the wonders of the new electric cars are confronted with a dilemma as Elon sets his eyes on our precious preserved BWCA, where there are metals to be mined.

It what happens when people have lost their awareness of our relationship and dependence on the health of this planet’s biosphere.

People rather spend endless time, energy and fortunes yapping like dogs chasing their tails, about ‘reality’ in terms of the most infinitesimal imaginable - while dismissing the macroscopic reality of this Earth’s biosphere and how our health depends on it’s health.

That’s why I keep trying to push this Earth Centrism awareness thing, unfortunately no takers, apparently next to zero appetite or interest in appreciating the biology that actually makes us who we are, and life keeps me too busy to pursue it the way I need to and the months continue racing past me.