Big band video (with me)

Jerry Hicks is a local trumpeter with a passion for sound recording, and he threw together this band for a gig this past December:
http://geraldhicksmusic.com/2015/05/10/jerry-hicks-and-friends-live-big-band-jazz-at-station-885-plymouth-mi/
Overall, it turned out pretty well. You can see the band is pretty good (we had one rehearsal) although the performance space forced me to be playing my bass 'bone into the wall, as you can see, so it didn’t get picked up well by the mics. Playing with other musicians who are that sharp is always a blast, regardless. I remember having loads of fun. :smiley:

Cool, that was fun. Looks like it was a good time.

I’ll be in the area the week of June 22. Anything going on then?

Sure, there’s plenty going on around town. I haven’t gotten asked to do anything around that time yet . . .
:confused:
Sometimes, I get called for a gig two weeks to a day beforehand, though. It’s hard to predict, except that basically all musicians end up having to follow a “first come, first serve” rule: whoever asks me to do a gig at a particular time and place first gets me, and if I cancel on them I do so only if I can find my own sub - which they approve. For me, that also applies to travel due to my programming job.
Still, it may be worth keeping that week in mind, in case something pops up or if it may just be fun to get a small group of us together and do a “skeptics at the pub” kind of thing.

I’ll be visiting family, so I also won’t be able to control where I’ll be, but I have been checking the CFI calendars. We have an FFRF chapter here in Duluth. We do Sunday morning talks, some dinners, a few other community things now and then, but I’d like to experience something more social. I’m always looking for ideas of ways to grow the community.

Sunday morning talks??? That would seriously get in the way of my Sunday morning REM.

Sunday morning talks??? That would seriously get in the way of my Sunday morning REM.
PZ Meyers had a similar comment when he came to talk. It's a valid point.
Jerry Hicks is a local trumpeter with a passion for sound recording, and he threw together this band for a gig this past December: http://geraldhicksmusic.com/2015/05/10/jerry-hicks-and-friends-live-big-band-jazz-at-station-885-plymouth-mi/ Overall, it turned out pretty well. You can see the band is pretty good (we had one rehearsal) although the performance space forced me to be playing my bass 'bone into the wall, as you can see, so it didn't get picked up well by the mics. Playing with other musicians who are that sharp is always a blast, regardless. I remember having loads of fun. :D
Just listened to it. Good Band! Good soloists! Good fortune!!

I could listen to you guys all night! Kickin’ arrangement, terrific riffs and a killer drummer, even if he does use matched sticks! Thanks for the video and you must be the bone player with all the hair?
Cap’t Jack

I could listen to you guys all night! Kickin' arrangement, terrific riffs and a killer drummer, even if he does use matched sticks! Thanks for the video and you must be the bone player with all the hair? Cap't Jack
lol Yeah, I guess the mere presence of hair does narrow down things a bit in that section. Bob Curnow's been a well-resepected arranger in the jazz world for a couple of decades now. Never played a bad chart by him. He has a couple of Curnow-arrangement albums that are definitely worth checking out if you like jazz.
I could listen to you guys all night! Kickin' arrangement, terrific riffs and a killer drummer, even if he does use matched sticks! Thanks for the video and you must be the bone player with all the hair? Cap't Jack
lol Yeah, I guess the mere presence of hair does narrow down things a bit in that section. Bob Curnow's been a well-resepected arranger in the jazz world for a couple of decades now. Never played a bad chart by him. He has a couple of Curnow-arrangement albums that are definitely worth checking out if you like jazz. Just listened again, stopped because my wife doesn't like jazz but likes the sax, go figure? Anyway my grandson (9 years old) now has my old coronet to learn to play, thereby ending any thoughts I had of getting my lip back and playing again. It is a "King" silver plated, purchased new around 1957 for $90.00 and is still in good shape, and I'm told it blows easy for a coronet.
Bob Curnow’s been a well-resepected arranger in the jazz world for a couple of decades now. Never played a bad chart by him. He has a couple of Curnow-arrangement albums that are definitely worth checking out if you like jazz.
Thanks again Andrew, that was a great arrangement played by pros for sure. yeah, I grew up listening to jazz. My father is a jazz drummer and later taught me how to play? I like it all, from Glen Miller to Dave Brubeck, my all time favorite. Still listen to "Take Five" on YouTube! I plan to check out the albums as well. Cap't Jack

This one, too, although you’ll have to get the album to see Curnow on the credits.