Best New Nonfiction?

On the lookout for new and excellent nonfiction concerning anything historical, anthropological or biological regarding religion and secularism! Any suggestions?

Not exactly new, but anything by Bart Ehrman is always good. The scholarly approach to the historical documents called New and Old Testaments is really fascinating.

Just Googled him - his works do sound really fascinating! Thanks for the suggestion. I am just finishing Christopher Moreman’s Beyond the Threshold…about the supposed afterlife accounts of various traditions. What happens when we die, how each tradition describes a Heaven and Hell, etcetera. Also recommended

Not exactly new, but anything by Bart Ehrman is always good. The scholarly approach to the historical documents called New and Old Testaments is really fascinating.
Great suggestion for this member or anyone else who has not read his works.

Richard Carrier’s On the Historicity of Jesus. He is giving an online class on it starting next week. He uses all the modern tools of history to explore the questions Jesus’ existence.

Anything by Robert Price but be prepared to have your Bible ready to look up quotes. That is unless you have a working knowledge of the scriptures. Just finished The Amazing Colossal Apostle, where he deconstructs the writings of Paul. It’s a must read for anyone wanting to know about the pivotal figure in the development of Xtianity. Also, Resa Aslan’s Zealot, The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth. He focuses on the central figure of Jesus, but more importantly what happened after the supposed crucifixion.
Cap’t Jack

I don’t recommend Reza Aslan. He tends to make stuff up. You have to pay attention to anything he says that doesn’t have a citation, or even it has a citation, you have to look it up check on it. And the hardest part of reading history is you have to pay attention to what he leaves out. So, if you read him, read Price, Ehrmann and Carrier first.

Sr. Member Total Posts: 1741 Joined 2009-10-21 I don’t recommend Reza Aslan. He tends to make stuff up. You have to pay attention to anything he says that doesn’t have a citation, or even it has a citation, you have to look it up check on it. And the hardest part of reading history is you have to pay attention to what he leaves out. So, if you read him, read Price, Ehrmann and Carrier first.
First of all, did you read the book Lausten? Secondly, please show which parts of it he "made up". He has extensive end notes for each chapter including specific citations from scripture and other religious scholars writing not only on the period but also focusing on the character of Jesus in particular. He also includes all cited material in his bibliography. He was vilified by FOX for being an Iranian Muslim ( guess this disqualifies him from being a "real Bible scholar" even though he holds a PhD. From Harvard Divinity School) if that's what you're in reference to. I rank him with the three you mention, and I do recommend reading his book before you get to the mythicists. Cap't Jack