Behavioral Economics

This is a reply to many posts, but it deserves it’s own thread. I gave it the title with “economics” just to see if anyone if would click it. It’s much more about the “behavioral”. You’ve probably heard of System 1 and System 2 thinking. This is they guy who wrote the book on it.

A couple good quotes

“When you cannot imagine an alternative to your belief you are convinced that your belief is true.”

“You do not appear rational to them”. - this is at around 17 minutes to 20 or so. It’s too much to try to summarize.

“It’s very difficult for us to imagine how anyone could see the world in a way that’s different from the way we see it. The interpretation of the world imposes itself on us. The idea that there are other ways of seeing it… is impossible to bring to mind.”

“When you cannot imagine an alternative to your belief you are convinced that your belief is true.”
https://onbeing.org/programs/daniel-kahneman-why-we-contradict-ourselves-and-confound-each-other/

That’s why I like Roger Antonsen who lectures about looking at things from different perspectives, because it leads to greater understanding of what you are looking at.

In one of his lectures he demonstrates the “image” of the number 4/3. It proved to me how an orderly pattern can emerge from chaos by a simple algorithm.

My “mantra” so to speak since I was in elementary school has always been “To each his own”. I don’t remember where I first heard it. But it certainly stuck

I don’t know what circumstances brought you there, just as you don’t know what circumstances brought me here.

“It’s very difficult for us to imagine how anyone could see the world in a way that’s different from the way we see it. The interpretation of the world imposes itself on us. The idea that there are other ways of seeing it… is impossible to bring to mind.”
I try to put myself in other people's shoes, and surround myself with diversity of all kinds to get a more balanced world view of things.

@yonkey

I try to put myself in other people’s shoes, and surround myself with diversity of all kinds to get a more balanced world view of things.

Sound like my kind of company. I try to do the same thing and raised my sons among a variety of people. My sons had all kinds of friends when they were kids. They still do as adults. It just seems weird to me if there isn’t diversity around me.

Totally, and I strongly believe the world is finally starting to change and become more accepting. Marginalized groups like LGBTQ+, BIPOC, and atheists too need to tell their stories. We can all learn from each other. There’s more than one narrative. ?

Most definitely. Some countries have a ways to go, but other countries are getting better. I think the U.S. is at a crossroads- we either accept diversity or we allow hatred to take over. So far it seems the U.S. is choosing diversity. BTW, what is BIPOC? I’ve not heard of that one.

Black, Indigenous, persons of colour. I hear it in the news all the time.

See BIPOC Meaning: 9 FAQs About What It Means, Why It Matters, More

I think the U.S. is at a crossroads- we either accept diversity or we allow hatred to take over.
Yes, indeed. And I feel the majority want diversity. I just don't know what percentage. It's hard to survey who has hatred in their hearts and who doesn't.

And as a side note, this is also why I tried making my characters in my blog diverse. Men, women, Asian, African, etc.

I’ve never heard it combined and abbreviated before.

Maybe it’s a Canadian term. I’ve only heard it recently. Maybe in the past 6 months or so?

Yes, indeed. And I feel the majority want diversity. I just don’t know what percentage. It’s hard to survey who has hatred in their hearts and who doesn’t.

I often wonder the same, especially when a racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, bigot dictator almost took over the country, supported by his racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic bigot Repugs and minions who would attempt coup to keep the dictator in office. I was so glad when President Biden won the election and was safely installed into office. Maybe families (multi-racial) like mine are more accepted or maybe they aren’t, but there are days that make me wonder and then there are days that give me hope.

Maybe it’s a Canadian term. I’ve only heard it recently. Maybe in the past 6 months or so?

It maybe and it may catch on down here soon, but I feel that alphabet soup is missing some people just as some feel that the LGBTQ alphabet soup is missing some, which is why it keeps getting longer and longer. The BIPOC will probably get longer too eventually.

Yes! I find Donald Trump to be the complete antithesis to what I believe in. He’s the perversion of truth, and the king of fake news. That coup was disgusting and his supporters should be ashamed of themselves for supporting a man that incited it.

I am so relieved that Biden is president. Well, I’m relieved that Trump lost. But I really like Biden’s character and leadership style. I even tried to emulate it in my latest blog entry! ?

I agree that the 2 terms don’t cover everyone, but no one will remember more than 5-7 letters. I think for now people can assemble under the current acronyms without feeling left out.

I guess I’m part of both groups, since I’m not 100% straight and my background is Indian. Skin- tone wise I’m not that dark, and thus haven’t really experienced racism to the same extent as others. But, I know how it feels to be bullied and discriminated against, which is why I feel a strong sense of pride from these marginalized communities. ?

He’s the perversion of truth, and the king of fake news.

To the point of nausea. I can’t even stand to watch him talk without feeling sick. I wish we could have gotten him out sooner.

As far as racism goes, I think Canada is a little better at not being racist than the U.S. I’m not saying that Canada doesn’t show racism at times. I just don’t think it’s as horrifying as it is in the U.S. OR it hasn’t made the news like the racism in the U.S. does.

To the point of nausea. I can’t even stand to watch him talk without feeling sick. I wish we could have gotten him out sooner.
Totally. Part of the reason why I waited for 2020 to launch my website is because I wanted Trump out before I inspire people. I didn't want to risk emboldening the wrong crowd.
As far as racism goes, I think Canada is a little better at not being racist than the U.S. I’m not saying that Canada doesn’t show racism at times. I just don’t think it’s as horrifying as it is in the U.S. OR it hasn’t made the news like the racism in the U.S. does.
I think that may be due to the fact that Canada is a younger country and descendants of the early settlers do not have developed a sense of entitlement as the earlier original US settlers.

This attitude was very much displayed by a US congressman who had the gall to declare that the European settlers were the first civilization in America and that the native Indian population was barely civilized. This congressman who is supposed to defend the constitution had no idea that parts of the US Constitution are based on Indian democratic law as practiced by the 5 Nation Iroquois Confederacy.

Influence on the United States

Historians in the 20th century have suggested the Iroquois system of government influenced the development of the United States’s government,[274][275] although the extent and nature of this influence has been disputed.[276] Contact between the leaders of the English colonists and the Iroquois started with efforts to form an alliance via the use of treaty councils.

Prominent individuals such as Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson were often in attendance.[citation needed] Bruce Johansen proposes that the Iroquois had a representative form of government.[277] The Six Nations' governing committee was elected by the men and women of the tribe, one member from each of the six nations. Giving each member the same amount of authority in the council ensured no man received too much power, providing some of the same effect as the United States's future system of checks and balances.
In 1988, the United States Congress passed a resolution to recognize the influence of the Iroquois League upon the Constitution and Bill of Rights.[281] In 1987, Cornell University held a conference on the link between the Iroquois' government and the U.S. Constitution.[282]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois#Influence_on_the_United_States

The hubris of the Caucasian race is tragically remarkable and as a native Netherlander (blond hair, blue eyes) I cannot help feeling ashamed of the horrible history the Dutch merchant mariners established during the slave trade with the early European settlers in the US.

I just cannot imagine one person having the right to own another person as chattel.

I think that may be due to the fact that Canada is a younger country and the older population does not have developed a sense of entitlement as original settlers.
I think it does exist in Canada, but not sure how to compare it really because stories of racism are so personal and individualistic. I really hope to hear more of these BIPOC stories later this year and next.
I think it does exist in Canada, but not sure how to compare it really because stories of racism are so personal and individualistic. I really hope to hear more of these BIPOC stories later this year and next.
True, each individual story are personal in nature. It is the institutionalization of slavery that was the National crime and of course the eventual cause for the US Civil War which started in 1861, but changed in character on 1863 with the Emancipation Proclamation.

Emancipation Proclamation (1863)

Initially, the Civil War between North and South was fought by the North to prevent the secession of the Southern states and preserve the Union. Even though sectional conflicts over slavery had been a major cause of the war, ending slavery was not a goal of the war. That changed on September 22, 1862, when President Lincoln issued his Preliminary Emancipation Proclamation, which stated that slaves in those states or parts of states still in rebellion as of January 1, 1863, would be declared free. One hundred days later, with the rebellion unabated, President issued the Emancipation Proclamation declaring “that all persons held as slaves” within the rebellious areas “are, and henceforward shall be free.”
.......more