Battle of Belleau Woods WWI

Yo Guy, some fresh news that might interest you,

According to reporting in The Atlantic, the president disparaged the intelligence of service members, and asked that wounded veterans be kept out of military parades. Trump called the reporting fake news yet other outlets have also confirmed. Aired on MSNBC 09/08/2020.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdoRj-SUXH4

Speaking for myself, what is the point of showing off wounded veterans in military parades? Here again, I detect touchy-feely liberal progressive nonsense. It’s ok for a man to cry, to come to terms with his weaknesses, his bad luck, just to make the least among us feel better about themselves. All sentiment, no heart.

To my mind, wounded warriors are tragic. All those gravestones for the dead at Arlington and elsewhere are tragic. We should be ashamed of ourselves for letting that happen.

Here again, I detect touchy-feely liberal progressive nonsense. -- Sree
Your cynicism and your willingness to twist anything into the "liberal" label knows no bounds. It's not possible that someone could as unaware of the last 50 years of US history as you are. This forum has been pretty lively lately and one of the reasons I let you stay is that you at least provided some content. But we have plenty of content now. Am I making myself clear?
Most of the military hero-worship we see today is a charade because very few modern Americans have anything to do with the military.
How about just respect? No worship, just respect, for those who were willing to risk their lives for the rest of us?

How about honoring my father (veteran of WWII) who spent most of his adult life locked in a VA psychiatric facility?

How about showing respect to ALL of the family members who have had someone serve, and be injured or killed?

Nobody worships the military these days, but we still pay them respect. Not like when they were spit on returning from Viet Nam.

But you seem quite comfortable with having a CinC who thinks any soldier who risks his/her safety or life are really just suckers and losers.

Which were you in your service, oneguy, a “sucker” or a “loser”, or are you a lucky winner, since you were not injured or killed?

Most of the military hero-worship we see today is a charade because very few modern Americans have anything to do with the military. --oneguy
Are you sure you live in America? I'm surrounded by families with people in the military. I've been to military funerals. I personally have no connection but I have plenty to "do with" the military. It's 50% of our federal budget. I don't know how you could avoid it unless you were very selective about your friends and acquaintances.

My best friend who accidentally shot himself last year was integrally self-defined by his military service. He was also on medicines to treat chronic back issues from a parachuting mishap. And I suspect he suffered from PTSD as well. I always respected his service. But beyond that, I admired his perceptivity and ability to quickly see things as they are, when others had not yet figured it out.

Anyway, it never crossed my mind that he was a “sucker” or a “loser” because of his military service.

Are you sure you live in America? I’m surrounded by families with people in the military. I’ve been to military funerals. I personally have no connection but I have plenty to “do with” the military. It’s 50% of our federal budget. I don’t know how you could avoid it unless you were very selective about your friends and acquaintances.
There's a generational difference here. Boomers have known many veterans throughout their lives because military service was far more common in the 1940s-70s. The younger people -- not so much. Only a very, very small percentage of military age Americans served in the "War on Terror" compared to the size of their generations, which was younger Gen-X and early to middle Millennials.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/11/23/the-military-civilian-gap-fewer-family-connections/

A smaller share of Americans currently serve in the U.S. Armed Forces than at any time since the peace-time era between World Wars I and II. During the past decade, as the military has been engaged in the longest period of sustained conflict in the nation’s history, just one-half of one percent of American adults has served on active duty at any given time.1 As the size of the military shrinks, the connections between military personnel and the broader civilian population appear to be growing more distant.

While most Americans today have family members who once served or are currently serving in the armed forces, there is a large generation gap on this measure. In a recent Pew Research Center survey, more than three-quarters (77%) of adults ages 50 and older said they had an immediate family member –a spouse, parent, sibling or child – who had served in the military. For many of these adults, their military family members are likely to have served prior to the phasing out of the military draft in 1973.

However, adults under the age of 50 are much less likely to have family members who served in the military. Some 57% of those ages 30-49 say they have an immediate family member who served. And among those ages 18-29, the share is only one-third.

The pattern is there. The man’s contempt for military personal is there for all to hear. Why you ignore and try to run cover, is anyone’s guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=85&v=sGDFFyH6M2A&feature=emb_title

Haha, if insulting military leaders demonstrates contempt for the military then all military personnel must be guilty as hell!

While on this topic it’s worth pointing out you would not want a president who constantly defers to military authority. Many military leaders are pathetic and should be called out.

Most of the people I know in military are younger. I wasn’t limiting to family

So what? You’re still wrong.

Anyway, it never crossed my mind that he was a “sucker” or a “loser” because of his military service.
Why would you even think that? How could anybody possibly think that? It's quite wicked to accuse anyone of thinking that.
Why would you even think that? How could anybody possibly think that?
Yes why WOULD the t rump think and say that our veterans who died or were captured or wounded are losers or suckers? How COULD the t rump possibly think that?

He said it. You can LIE and DENY. But he said it.

Haha, if insulting military leaders demonstrates contempt for the military then all military personnel must be guilty as hell!
By their Commander in Chief - what's that algorithm that allows you to defend t rump's glaring contempt for our military not to mention his outrageous and oh so public crush on dictators?

It’s one thing for the contempt coming from that drunk sitting next to you at your favor bar, but the Nations f’n Commander in Chief??? Have you no perspective?

Oh and,

You’re still wrong.

He said it. You can LIE and DENY. But he said it.
We live in the USA. I think you need to cite your sources and provide evidence. Many women had been stoned to death in Afghanistan because some guy kept saying that she did it. These days I just can't tell if we are living in Kabul.
I think you need to cite your sources and provide evidence.
Of course.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trumps-insults-american-veterans-families-2019-10

That is an article from almost a year ago. In it you can find 16 veterans and/or their families that the t rump disparaged. You know, if you will admit it, that this shows his propensity for belittling veterans, if it suits his emotional whims of any given moment.

You know that he said of McCain, “I like people who weren’t captured.” (McCain who was injured when captured and never fully recovered from the injury, due to his treatment as a POW. McCain who the Viet Kong would have released due to who McCain’s father was. But McCain refused to be released and leave behind his fellow POW’s.

You should know that, like you, the t rump is at heart a troll, who enjoys bad mouthing anyone or anything that strikes him as being against his own feelings of any given moment. It is PERFECTLY consistent with the anonymous but verified statements in the Atlantic article being true.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-americans-who-died-at-war-are-losers-and-suckers/615997/

The president has repeatedly disparaged the intelligence of service members, and asked that wounded veterans be kept out of military parades, multiple sources tell The Atlantic.

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true.

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day.

In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.

On at least two occasions since becoming president, according to three sources with direct knowledge of his views, Trump referred to former President George H. W. Bush as a “loser” for being shot down by the Japanese as a Navy pilot in World War II.

A first lieutenant in the Marine Corps, Robert Kelly was killed in 2010 in Afghanistan. He was 29. Trump was meant, on this visit, to join John Kelly (his sec of Homeland Security at the time) in paying respects at his (John"s) son’s grave, and to comfort the families of other fallen service members. But according to sources with knowledge of this visit, Trump, while standing by Robert Kelly’s grave, turned directly to his father and said, “I don’t get it. What was in it for them?”

“He can’t fathom the idea of doing something for someone other than himself,” one of Kelly’s friends, a retired four-star general, told me. “He just thinks that anyone who does anything when there’s no direct personal gain to be had is a sucker. There’s no money in serving the nation.” Kelly’s friend went on to say, “Trump can’t imagine anyone else’s pain. That’s why he would say this to the father of a fallen marine on Memorial Day in the cemetery where he’s buried.”

Haha, if insulting military leaders demonstrates contempt for the military then all military personnel must be guilty as hell! – oneguy

No comparison. He’s the commander in chief. If he has a problem with his generals he should talk to them. enlisted people are not consulted on leadership matters.

I think you need to cite your sources and provide evidence. -- Sree
One of the reasons I let Sree stay is he represents the people that America will need to deal with for another 20 years at least, even if Democrats hold every branch between now and then and even start winning Southern states. When sources are displayed everywhere constantly and they can still be denied, reality and facts are no longer shaping the narrative. I can easily get someone to agree that slavery was horrible in the US, that it did not instantly end in 1865, that oppression continued in full force until 1964, and more covertly up to now. And, they still will say that any given individual can overcome all of that by simple force of will, by simply walking down the road a few miles and finding a new life. This is the mentality of 1950's white men who rode the rails and took day jobs and choose to live poor until the day they decided to do more. That was never an option for a dark skinned person or a woman. These facts don't matter to people like Sree, and there are much more friendly people than him that also think like this, that whatever the rich white man says, must be true, because riches prove you are better and most rich people are white. Checkmate. Actually, flipping the board over, but that's checkmate these days.
No comparison. He’s the commander in chief. If he has a problem with his generals he should talk to them. enlisted people are not consulted on leadership matters.
Technically true but it doesn’t change the fact that insulting military leadership is a lame indicator of contempt for the military.
Technically true but it doesn’t change the fact that insulting military leadership is a lame indicator of contempt for the military.
True. Military leadership has been known to mount coups. Trump came into the presidency with full faith and confidence in his generals, career soldiers not different from career politicians in the mammoth bureaucratic structures of the US Government. Presidents come and go. Deadwoods stay forever. They will endure Trump for four more years and resume their endless wars.

Instead of trying to find the worst part of Sree’s post and responding, I’ll just note that there is something wrong with every sentence in it. Some of them horribly, horribly wrong.