Barack Obama's visit to the UK

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36115138
‘Special Relationship’ makes me wince. We have the same kind of ‘Special Relationship’ with the USA as the lamp-post has with the dog.

That’s a bit severe of an analogy. (I suppose you mean the UK to be the lamp post, serving as a place for the dog USA to mark it’s territory?)

Yes indeed, if you want to know what the UK ‘foreign policy’ is at any time, ask the POTUS.
I can quite happily support the majority of US ‘foreign policy’ but there are also parts that I would differ on. You have to realise that amongst the various countries where the US is despised there are some that have the legitimate right to take that view.
We are often shown the sophistication of weaponry such that a US aircraft flying so high that it is almost in Earth orbit can fire a missile to such an accuracy that it not only hits the individual villain but it just shoots his penis off. The truth is that this rarely happens. Often you do kill a minor villain but in doing so kill 20 innocent citizens, which gets you ten times that number of enemies and that spreads outwards. You could do with a force as clinically sophisticated as the SAS.
The UK is a friend of the US and as a friend it should tell you when it believes that you are wrong. You have no need / obligation whatsoever to act upon that advice.

If all that is true, then England should just become our 51st state. Then they wouldn’t need to worry as to whether to join the EU. Having a state that has a monarch would be a bit odd. But we have some pretty odd states, as it is.

Oh, the expression 51st state of the USA has been scornfully used by Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition in The House Of Commons, by members of the public on the BBC TV’s Question Time and on BBC Radio 4’s Any Questions. It is meant to give a Conservative government an arse-kicking.

I didn’t realize Brits could be so passionate. Have they missed their tea time?

Oh, we have ample opportunity to routinely kick government arse and we fully exploit it. This 51st state is not a constant issue but we do resent being disliked by more countries than necessary simply because we always support US ‘foreign policy’.
Britain of course has enemies of its own historic making from when it had its empire. These too have legitimate reasons for their attitude.
The US now does and Britain then did some things which no honourable person could approve of.

Oh, we have ample opportunity to routinely kick government arse and we fully exploit it. This 51st state is not a constant issue but we do resent being disliked by more countries than necessary simply because we always support US 'foreign policy'. Britain of course has enemies of its own historic making from when it had its empire. These too have legitimate reasons for their attitude. The US now does and Britain then did some things which no honourable person could approve of.
You're not supporting US foreign policy. You're supporting an agreed upon foreign policy that has to do with spheres of influence, containment, economics, etc. Do you think the whole World is waiting for the US and UK to stop meddling and start acting honourably, then everything will fall into place and it will be a peaceful planet of cooperation and equality?
Oh, we have ample opportunity to routinely kick government arse and we fully exploit it. This 51st state is not a constant issue but we do resent being disliked by more countries than necessary simply because we always support US 'foreign policy'. Britain of course has enemies of its own historic making from when it had its empire. These too have legitimate reasons for their attitude. The US now does and Britain then did some things which no honourable person could approve of.
You're not supporting US foreign policy. You're supporting an agreed upon foreign policy that has to do with spheres of influence, containment, economics, etc. Do you think the whole World is waiting for the US and UK to stop meddling and start acting honourably, then everything will fall into place and it will be a peaceful planet of cooperation and equality? 'Agreed upon', that's the entire point, the American President states the policy and we agree upon it 100%. The UK wastes a lot of money in order to keep its seat at various top tables, originally gained in Empire days. It is a little island standing off the main European block. It can do nothing to stop either the Russians or Americans farting. It is a friend to America but you sometimes need to tell your friend that he is wrong. It is quite possible to have your own principles even in a world where a lot of people could theoretically kick your arse. The term 'Special Relationship (between the UK and USA)' is far more often used by a UK Conservative government than by anyone else worldwide. It is an embarrassment to most folk. If they acknowledge it at all they consider it to be the same special relationship as that between the lamp-post and the dog. Overall, the point is that the UK is a pal of the USA but should not give its credibility to every adventure embarked upon by the USA. It's just common sense, albeit common sense is becoming decreasingly common.

The UK of course has no power when it comes to being able to render this planet unfit for human habitation. There may well be 20 countries who could do this numerous times each.
Alas the UK could probably do it just the once, which obviously gives us no power whatsoever.

'Agreed upon', that's the entire point, the American President states the policy and we agree upon it 100%.
ehhnn...I don't know about that. I think you're paying attention to "optics" more than reality. Anything your leaders and lords are agreeing upon is probably thought out and in your's and the UK's interests. That's speaking about geo-politics in general.(mainly defense etc..) Now, geo-economics that's another story. There's a whole crop of generational globalists who think The US, the UK and the EU are ready, willing and able to take in hordes of foreigners from vastly different cultures. They're the same ones who think it's ok to export all of your jobs to China, Mexico, Vietnam and India. Basically these folks don't care about the idea of a Germany or a Great Britain, or a USA. They just want one world, one population to sell trinkets and internet to.

I am solely making a simple point which requires no sophistication. There are a few of the USA’s ‘adventures’ that the UK should neither assist nor even approve of. It’s as simple as that.

I am solely making a simple point which requires no sophistication. There are a few of the USA's 'adventures' that the UK should neither assist nor even approve of. It's as simple as that.
Well issues like these require sophistication really. I highly doubt your leaders were led by the nose in making the decisions they made or will make. Again, I think you have an optics issue. Not that I don't agree with you in principle mainly. Decisions up at that level begin to involve international or corporate interests. Interests that transcend "Political Geography". There were large British oil concerns which had stakes in Iraqi Oil for example. Don't be mad because you have opportunists in the UK that are willing to jump on the War Wagon and then blame it on the US.

Suppose the US were to vote on something that would potentially impact British trade and its economy in a negatove way. Would you maintain that the British Prime Minister would have no right to express an opinion against it to the American people?
This is a question especially directed to anyone who thinks Obama had no right to explain the position of the US governmemt to the British electorate.
Lois

I am solely making a simple point which requires no sophistication. There are a few of the USA's 'adventures' that the UK should neither assist nor even approve of. It's as simple as that.
And the Prime Minister has the right to express his opinion about it and explain any negative impact it might have on Britain, just as Obama did about the Brexit vote. If Britain leaves the EU it would have a negative impact on the US and its economy. Why should Obama keep it a secret? Who knew the British electorate would be so willing to be led around by the nose by the opinion of the US president. i thought they were mor intelligent and confident of their own opinions than that. I must be wrong. The anti Obama rhetoric here proves to me how easily led some people think the Brits are, and that's a crying shame, especially when it's British people who express such an opinion. If a Brotish Prime Minister expressed his opinion about an American vote that would negatively impact Britain, I can't imagine that many Americans would immediately change theor vote. But, apparently, Brits are dangerously and easily led, at least according to some Brits themselves. They show that they think The British electorate can't stand up to an American president's opinion and will collapse like a house of cards.

Obama’s interest in this is that the US effectively gets a vote in every EU meeting because the UK is so spineless in this.
However, the subject that I was on about was that we follow the US line in its ‘adventures’ far too often and get dragged into very serious situations just to please our pal. This is unpopular in the UK.
The UK is a tiny island off Europe. The US does not need the either the UK’s tacit or active co-operation when it uses its power to suppress anything worldwide that is against its interests.

The UK is a tiny island off Europe. The US does not need the either the UK's tacit or active co-operation when it uses its power to suppress anything worldwide that is against its interests.
Come on Brexit! That's what I say... That's your first step. That would send a good signal. Then perhaps you could begin with internal reforms as well. I think alot of nations need to do some inward looking. House cleaning and repair. Alot of these trade deals and treaties need to be looked at again.