Atheist monument to be installed at a Florida courthouse

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/05/31/groundbreaking-atheist-monument-to-be-unveiled-at-florida-courthouse/

That seems to be an odd occurrence. It implies at atheism is only yet another religion, and as such should be represented as such next to a Christian monument. That ain’t right.
Did anyone else get that vibe?

That seems to be an odd occurrence. It implies at atheism is only yet another religion, and as such should be represented as such next to a Christian monument. That ain't right. Did anyone else get that vibe?
Sorry I didn't get that. I see it as the atheists group forcing the local government to be fair, which to me is a good thing. Hopefully other groups like Muslim groups, Wyccan, etc. will join in.

The problem is that this can easily become a little local ‘list of officially sanctioned religious views.’ Such lists are inherently uninclusive; that’s why the argument has been for a long time for governments to not promote or prohibit anything specifically religious.

I see it as a means by which The Ten Commandments and other religious monuments are allowed on government property.

I see it as the atheists group forcing the local government to be fair, which to me is a good thing. Hopefully other groups like Muslim groups, Wyccan, etc. will join in.
...Satanists, Voodoo.....that'll get their panties in a wad! :-P

Not a good idea, IMO. Atheist quotes have no place on government property, just like religious quotes have none.

It seems like a can of worms to me. If two groups can have a monument that espouses a view re: religion, then every other existing group should be allowed a monument, including agnostics, satanists, Mormons, Muslims, all different varities of paganism, Zoroastrianism, Sufis, Buddhists, Hindus, each of the varieties of Native American religions, the Church of Monday Night Football (if they still exist), Wiccans, Shakers, Confucianism, and all of the many many others that don’t come to mind at the moment.
Clearly, though fair, and honoring free speech, this would not be practical, thus I propose one and only one Monument for all, an electronic billboard that projects a message for each viewpoint, in succession, with each having an equal time presented. The presentation of each perspective though of equal time would also need to be randomized as to time of day, so that there would not be any lack of fairness in regards to prime times of presentation.
Eventually, there would be so many different viewpoints on the monument, that each would flash by, so quickly that they would be unreadable. Thus it would ultimately become a Monument to the Ludicrous, which, in actuality, is what all of this amounts to anyway. Amen.

I have a thought; why don’t we chuck all those “monuments” to batshit crazy religious philosophies and put up one to memorialize the Constistution on all those courthouse lawns? It would be a reminder to all who see it that their right to worship or not is protected. Anyway Asanta, a monument to voodoo would be a zombie and that would be just creepy!
Cap’t Jack

That seems to be an odd occurrence. It implies at atheism is only yet another religion, and as such should be represented as such next to a Christian monument. That ain't right. Did anyone else get that vibe?
Odd yes, if the monument was to be placed there on religious grounds but thats not the case. It in no way has anything to do with being "another" religion., but an expression of freedom of speech which was the reason for allowing a Christian monument in the first place. The atheists in the arena and no telling how many other groups will soon be placing monuments their to express there free speech as well.
Odd yes, if the monument was to be placed there on religious grounds but thats not the case. It in no way has anything to do with being "another" religion., but an expression of freedom of speech which was the reason for allowing a Christian monument in the first place. The atheists in the arena and no telling how many other groups will soon be placing monuments their to express there free speech as well.
Here's another angle: the ability to force others to say what you want is not free speech. That's what this amounts to: forcing the local courthouse to say something. This is therefore not a free speech issue.

I agree. Rather than any religious monuments, no matter how inclusive they try to be, it would be far better to just replace them all with a very large print scroll of the Constitution’s First Ten Amendments followed by the rest of the document and the succeeding amendments.
Occam

I agree. Rather than any religious monuments, no matter how inclusive they try to be, it would be far better to just replace them all with a very large print scroll of the Constitution’s First Ten Amendments followed by the rest of the document and the succeeding amendments. Occam
The only problem with that is those with a particular agenda would want THEIR amendment chiseled much deeper than the others, e.g. Pro gunners, the 2nd amend. Xtian fundies, the 1st, teabaggers, the 9th and Southern reactionaries the 10th. Cap't Jack

I wonder how long this bench will last before some “good” xtian will take a sledgehammer to it. I am heartened to see a reasonable stance by that Christian organization, but I am afraid that there will be some fundamentalist nutcase, who will take it on himself to “save” Christianity from the evil atheists.
It will be a test of the biblical “love thy neighbor.”
Hehe…,there may just always be room to sit on the atheist bench. What luxury!