Worst SciFri segment ever?

No, I’m not going to listen to this episode of Science Friday.]
Anyone care to defend it as NOT the worst episode ever, as the commenters indicate?

Damn it, why don’t you young studs write what you are talking about rather than just giving links? Don’t you know that we old fuds may only have dial-up which takes forever to download, and an even older computer that no longer has sound?
However, while trying to go to that site, I saw the title. Ira Flatow always has a call-in segment after the presentations. Be ready to call in and shred the jerk’s theistic arguments. It’s even better if you can have a few of your friends do the same with different approaches to destroying it. :slight_smile:
Occam

Normally I would agree. But in this one case, I didn’t even watch myself. I read the comments and decided it was not worth it. I admit I am judging it without watching it and was asking if anyone did see it and had a counter to the comments. I reserve the right to do that 3 times per year. :slight_smile:

For some reason the comments are not viewable in Safari. That said, I gave up on Science Friday a few years ago because I found it boring.

I like Science Friday and listen in when I can but what the hell? His contention is that Science doesn’t disprove god? When was science ever out to do that? The empirical evidence speaks for itself and so far, no god. If for some reason he eventually turns up and can be scientifically proven then so be it. This guys got to be dusting off the old “god of the gaps” theory. Good luck attracting listeners for this segment Ira.
Cap’t Jack

Damn it, why don't you young studs write what you are talking about rather than just giving links? Don't you know that we old fuds may only have dial-up which takes forever to download, and an even older computer that no longer has sound? However, while trying to go to that site, I saw the title. Ira Flatow always has a call-in segment after the presentations. Be ready to call in and shred the jerk's theistic arguments. It's even better if you can have a few of your friends do the same with different approaches to destroying it. :) Occam
Occam, you've gotta get wifi! You are living in the dark ages. Lois
I like Science Friday and listen in when I can but what the hell? His contention is that Science doesn't disprove god? When was science ever out to do that? The empirical evidence speaks for itself and so far, no god. If for some reason he eventually turns up and can be scientifically proven then so be it. This guys got to be dusting off the old "god of the gaps" theory. Good luck attracting listeners for this segment Ira. Cap't Jack
Science also doesn't disprove Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, so what good is it? Lois
Science also doesn’t disprove Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, so what good is it?
You are being facetious, correct? Or are you equating folk tales with religion? Cap't Jack

That is facetiousness. Substitute Apollo, Odin, the Invisible pink Unicorn or any other imaginary deity in place of the folk tales and you make the same argument.

For some reason the comments are not viewable in Safari. That said, I gave up on Science Friday a few years ago because I found it boring.
That's odd. I get the comments on Safari. They are right there with the article and I don't have to click on anything. Lois
Science also doesn’t disprove Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, so what good is it?
You are being facetious, correct? Or are you equating folk tales with religion? Cap't Jack
You should know me better than that by now, Cap't. I throw all imaginary ideas into the same round file. Lois
You should know me better than that by now, Cap’t. I throw all imaginary ideas into the same round file.
Yes, but Jesus was real, it says so in the floppy book but not the Easter bunny and Santa. "I just wish that those angry atheists and agnostics wouldn't celebrate our Christian Holidays"! My daughter saw this quote on Facebook. It's a pity they aren't aware that both are paaaaagan celebrations. Cap't Jack
You should know me better than that by now, Cap’t. I throw all imaginary ideas into the same round file.
Yes, but Jesus was real, it says so in the floppy book but not the Easter bunny and Santa. "I just wish that those angry atheists and agnostics wouldn't celebrate our Christian Holidays"! My daughter saw this quote on Facebook. It's a pity they aren't aware that both are paaaaagan celebrations. Cap't Jack
Jesus might have been real but he wasn't anything more than an ordinary man. And that's the point. Lois

Quoting Cap. Jack:

Jesus was real, it says so in the floppy book but not the Easter bunny and Santa.
They aren’t??? Oh, I’m crushed. I’ve spent my whole life knowing that the bunny was Jesus’ pet, and Santa was his uncle. Horrors, whatever shall I do now??? :sick:
Occam

Well, what I heard was that jebus came out of his tomb, saw his shadow and there was six more weeks of Winter. Dammit Jebus!
Cap’t Jack

Damn it, why don't you young studs write what you are talking about rather than just giving links? Don't you know that we old fuds may only have dial-up which takes forever to download, and an even older computer that no longer has sound? However, while trying to go to that site, I saw the title. Ira Flatow always has a call-in segment after the presentations. Be ready to call in and shred the jerk's theistic arguments. It's even better if you can have a few of your friends do the same with different approaches to destroying it. :) Occam
what's dial-up? :coolsmirk: Didn't that die when they killed Ma Bell ~ ~ ~ Though I'm reassured others find SciFri a bit wimpy.
Seems to me a religion is merely a folk tale that many people believe to be true, either objectively or metaphorically. TFS