Why people believe in conspiracy theories

Why are hyper-rational people so repulsed by talk of conspiracies? History tells us they exist. Of course there are nuts in this tree (but there are nuts in most). But if nine conspiracy theories are false, that has zero bearing (and statistics confirm this) on whether the tenth conspiracy theory is true or false. And while the bigger the conspiracy usually the harder it is to keep secret, we also know conspiracy theories ARE sometimes kept secret for a season. Take the Kennedy assassination for example: Moore points out (see book below) that the Manhattan Project was a far, far bigger "confederation of secret-keepers" than the handful of leaders--LBJ, the CIA and the FBI--who conspired to kill JFK. (see Killing JFK: 50 Years, 50 Lies--From the Warren Commission to Bill O’Reilly, A History of Deceit in the Kennedy Assassination, by Dr. Lance Moore) http://www.amazon.com/Killing-JFK-Commission-OReilly-Assassination/dp/1492248177
The problem with conspiracy theories is that no one ever comes up with any objective evidence for the theories and the people who believe in conspiracies will never admit that no objective evidence has been found. They are like a dog with a bone. They will keep gnawing on it, insisting that they've "got something" and never show anything but their inability to see the fallacies in their arguments. They use circular reasoning, straw man, shift the burden of proof and repeat the same old unsupported theories over and over again claiming to have found something new. Eventually anyone with any sense backs away because it becomes an exercise in futility. But the true believers never give up. It's a lot like religion and likely serves the same purpose.What I don't get is the utter naiveté and un-skeptical nature of those like you who seem to give the government a free pass. The US government (Dem and Repub alike) makes the mob look like an amateurs club and yet folks like you just turn your head and actually treat it like some big dumb harmless animal. You need to take those blinders off and read some US history. I'll bet you think Bush was a good president and Iraq was a "war" to liberate Iraqis. What did I say that gave you the idea that I give the government a "free pass"? I am skeptical of all conspiracy theories, no matter who they involve or where they come from. but I don't believe every attack on the the government just because they've done many things wrong. Apparently you do, however.

I don’t see how anyone can accuse the government of a conspiracy. They’ve demonstrated such repeated incompetence that even if they try, they always blunder and get caught. :lol:
Occam

You got that right, Occam. :lol: I say we throw the whole lot out and start over. :slight_smile:

I don't see how anyone can accuse the government of a conspiracy. They've demonstrated such repeated incompetence that even if they try, they always blunder and get caught. :lol: Occam
That's true. Conspiracy theorists are among those who say the government can't do anything right, then they say the same government is able to create elaborate and intricate schemes and keep them hidden for decades. Funny how that works. Lois
I don't see how anyone can accuse the government of a conspiracy. They've demonstrated such repeated incompetence that even if they try, they always blunder and get caught. :lol: Occam
There were some Machiavellian geniuses behind Bush Jnr's rise to power. I mean everyone could see he was an actual idiot from the start and they still got him elected. That's some serious political maneuvering.