Whoo boy, an intro!

Hmm. Okay, topical details first.
I was baptized Catholic as a child, then my parents divorced when I was two. Good thing for my mom but no more church! (this was in 1963) Then we were raised sort of non-denom, until I went to live with my dad and stepmom when I was 13, and I became a faith-healing laying-on-hands speaking-in-tongues rock-record-burning Jack-Chick-tract-passing Pentecostal Assembly of God fundamentalist Christian.
Seriously. For about two decades.
Then that ‘fell by the wayside’ and I was agnostic for a while. Then I got into eclectic shamanism and was a pagan for about a decade. Then THAT fell by the wayside and I became interested in both Judaism and Taoism. I became an orthodox kashrut-keeping Jew for about seven years, till that ended.
I’m still a Taoist and probably always will be, regardless of any other considerations.
I’m also a (self)published author, artist (paint and sculpting), Linux geek, transgendered (M2F), liberal-with-some-conservative-viewpoints (pro-gun-ownership, for example), feminist, social activist, inveterate crossword fanatic (crosswords, NOT “word searches”, tyvm), plastic canvas artist…
and I’m thinking of taking up coppersmithing.
Oh, and I sing.
Um.
And I can cook in about 10 different types of cuisines, including Syrian, Sephardic, Native American and Irish.
takes deep breath
So. There.

Hmm. Okay, topical details first. I was baptized Catholic as a child, then my parents divorced when I was two. Good thing for my mom but no more church! (this was in 1963) Then we were raised sort of non-denom, until I went to live with my dad and stepmom when I was 13, and I became a faith-healing laying-on-hands speaking-in-tongues rock-record-burning Jack-Chick-tract-passing Pentecostal Assembly of God fundamentalist Christian. Seriously. For about two decades. Then that 'fell by the wayside' and I was agnostic for a while. Then I got into eclectic shamanism and was a pagan for about a decade. Then THAT fell by the wayside and I became interested in both Judaism and Taoism. I became an orthodox kashrut-keeping Jew for about seven years, till that ended. I'm still a Taoist and probably always will be, regardless of any other considerations. I'm also a (self)published author, artist (paint and sculpting), Linux geek, transgendered (M2F), liberal-with-some-conservative-viewpoints (pro-gun-ownership, for example), feminist, social activist, inveterate crossword fanatic (crosswords, NOT "word searches", tyvm), plastic canvas artist... and I'm thinking of taking up coppersmithing. Oh, and I sing. Um. And I can cook in about 10 different types of cuisines, including Syrian, Sephardic, Native American and Irish. *takes deep breath* So. There.
I am getting an image of a lovely shining raven with sharp tongue and an attitude that could slay Cthulhu. :) Welcome to the CFI fo. rugelach and coffee is on the menu, pull up a chair. MzLee

lols. Hiya, MzLee! :slight_smile: Ooooh, coffee and rugelach, nice!

That all makes perfect sense. Except, where do you find time for crosswords!

Hi taochild,
you should write a book. I have reinvented myself a couple times but you’ve really been around the block. Who says you only live once?
Welcome, Danny

Well, I’ve written and (self)published two and am working on three others, plus two short story serials and a third in the works. Does that count? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm. Okay, topical details first. I was baptized Catholic as a child, then my parents divorced when I was two. Good thing for my mom but no more church! (this was in 1963) Then we were raised sort of non-denom, until I went to live with my dad and stepmom when I was 13, and I became a faith-healing laying-on-hands speaking-in-tongues rock-record-burning Jack-Chick-tract-passing Pentecostal Assembly of God fundamentalist Christian. Seriously. For about two decades. Then that 'fell by the wayside' and I was agnostic for a while. Then I got into eclectic shamanism and was a pagan for about a decade. Then THAT fell by the wayside and I became interested in both Judaism and Taoism. I became an orthodox kashrut-keeping Jew for about seven years, till that ended. I'm still a Taoist and probably always will be, regardless of any other considerations. I'm also a (self)published author, artist (paint and sculpting), Linux geek, transgendered (M2F), liberal-with-some-conservative-viewpoints (pro-gun-ownership, for example), feminist, social activist, inveterate crossword fanatic (crosswords, NOT "word searches", tyvm), plastic canvas artist... and I'm thinking of taking up coppersmithing. Oh, and I sing. Um. And I can cook in about 10 different types of cuisines, including Syrian, Sephardic, Native American and Irish. *takes deep breath* So. There.
Your best bet is to stick to cooking--and stop looking for salvation and the supernatural. You will do yourself a favor. You appear to be chasing chimeras and wasting time, energy and intellect. Lois
Your best bet is to stick to cooking--and stop looking for salvation and the supernatural. You will do yourself a favor. You appear to be chasing chimeras and wasting time, energy and intellect. Lois Seriously? This is the Welcome thread not the judgmental thread, Lois, please be respectful. MzLee

One of the problems with writing, Lee, is that it’s hard to determine whether the person is really being critical or just kidding. It’s possible that Lois questioned the wide variety of capabilities listed and was obliquely referring to them.
Occam

One of the problems with writing, Lee, is that it's hard to determine whether the person is really being critical or just kidding. It's possible that Lois questioned the wide variety of capabilities listed and was obliquely referring to them. Occam
uhuh... whatever you say. o.0

I will attempt to be charitable in this case (Lee knows how I usually respond to such comments) and say that you are mistaken if you think I should “stick to cooking”.

Yes, I chose to rewrite, several times, before posting. My first response to the idea of a “stay in the kitchen” type posts is always… volatile, to say the least. lol

A bit of technical information. TC, it was Lois, not Lee who made the cooking comment. Lee was pointing out that it may have been uncharitable.
The problem is with the quotation symbols. I’m going to use upper case [ so that the program doesn’t respond. When one starts with the quotation symbol, the program enters {quote}{/quote}. You have to put the item you’re quoting between them or it looks like this.

then followed (outside the quotes) what you had wanted to quote. So it looks as if you, not the prior person, were saying this. Example: Suppose the first poster has started with “now is the time” and you want to correct that so you post:
now is the time. I disagree about the timing. What you wanted to quote shows up outside the block, and the block is empty.
Hope that helps.
Occam

First, welcome TaoChilde, looking forward to your posts.
MzLee,

Yes, I chose to rewrite, several times, before posting. My first response to the idea of a "stay in the kitchen" type posts is always..... volatile, to say the least. lol
IMO, Lois did not say anything offensive in her well intentioned advise. Culinary skills can be a very rewarding a priori career choice. Actually you were judgemental in this exchange, by interpreting any comment on the culinary skills which were enthusiastically offered by TaoChilde, as a sexist comment.. Allow me to remind you this is CFI, a secular Humanist site. We have several Epicureans among us, who love being in the kitchen.
First, welcome TaoChilde, looking forward to your posts. MzLee,
Yes, I chose to rewrite, several times, before posting. My first response to the idea of a "stay in the kitchen" type posts is always..... volatile, to say the least. lol
IMO, Lois did not say anything offensive in her well intentioned advise. Culinary skills can be a very rewarding a priori career choice. Actually you were judgemental in this exchange, by interpreting any comment on the culinary skills which were enthusiastically offered by TaoChilde, as a sexist comment.. Allow me to remind you this is CFI, a secular Humanist site. We have several Epicureans among us, who love being in the kitchen.
LOL.....

Hey, what makes you think it’s only Europeans who love being in the kitchen? I’m a very good cook and have developed some excellent ethnic recipes. :lol:
Occam

Hey, what makes you think it's only Europeans who love being in the kitchen? I'm a very good cook and have developed some excellent ethnic recipes. :lol: Occam
They don't call it "the culinary arts" for nothing...
Your best bet is to stick to cooking--and stop looking for salvation and the supernatural. You will do yourself a favor. You appear to be chasing chimeras and wasting time, energy and intellect. Lois Seriously? This is the Welcome thread not the judgmental thread, Lois, please be respectful. MzLee It was a test. Lois
Your best bet is to stick to cooking--and stop looking for salvation and the supernatural. You will do yourself a favor. You appear to be chasing chimeras and wasting time, energy and intellect. Lois Seriously? This is the Welcome thread not the judgmental thread, Lois, please be respectful. MzLee It was a test. Lois Seriously? How juvenile.

Tao, You sound like a good prospective guest for swell dinner parties. Welcome to the site. I hope you take part in some of the discussions. A Taoist perspective might be interesting. Though I am not as sure as you that your evolution regarding spiritual matters will not continue. Your history suggests that you have “tried on” and rejected much superstitious nonsense, so far. But even if you stop with Taoism, it seems to me to have some positive philosophical ideas and its superstitious B.S. elements seem to me to be relatively benign.