What makes you so sure you'd never join a cult?

Be careful! The experts would say this makes you more susceptible, not less!
I don't know how that can be true.

Almost everyone thinks they are immune to cults and only those who fall into cults were wrong. Doesn’t that make the statistics favor me by a huge margin?

But “inclusivity” is also something that made Jones different. Most cults focus more on Exclusivity, on “us” vs “them,” on protection from an enemy (even if they have to create one).
He managed to ride that fine line, saying he wanted to create a world where everyone is accepted, but to do that, they had to have their rules and their ways and protect themselves from the “bad” world out there.

Christianity was also very successful at this, from the beginning. I didn’t even notice it until I became an outsider. I didn’t really want to leave my church. I liked the people and the work we were doing. I just wanted to be able to openly say that Jesus might not have ever been a real person. I’m kind of allowed to do that, as long as I do it quietly. It’s not going to be the subject for Adult Bible Study.

@3point14rat

I meant in general, in this sense:

No offence, but I think I would know if a cult tried to recruit me…  …says every person who has ever been recruited by a cult. Most of us think we would be savvy enough to sniff out a cult’s luring strategies, but in fact, that sense of imperviousness is in itself dangerous. “People who arrogantly think they are too smart for a cult are often the ones who get sucked in because they don’t have their guard up,” says Lalich.

Why You’re Closer To Joining A Cult Than You Think

However, I do think that many of “us,” who have a specific interest in skepticism and who are critical of theology and groupthink, may really be less vulnerable.

But cognitive dissonance is a thing, especially when we are too close to any subject – I’m thinking of Why the world expert on Asperger’s took 30 years to notice condition in his own son.

A few more interesting points, for those curious about the topic.

Again and again, I’m seeing that while peoples’ personalities play a part, a huge factor may be timing. Virtually anyone MAY be vulnerable or suceptible to a cult, during a particular time in their life … navigating crisis, loss, or change.

All of the members (both former and current) that were interviewed appeared to be natural leaders, confident and well-adjusted. Perhaps it’s because this group attracts an atypical crowd of inductees. Or perhaps it’s because anyone could be a victim, given the right conditions. Maybe those traits said to deeply embody the standard cult victim’s personality — seeking validation, unstable identity, gullibility, etc — aren’t necessarily the only markers for potential prey.

I’m Only 95% Sure I Would Never Join a Cult

And

Studies show that people who join cults have only a slightly higher incidence of psychiatric disorders than the general population.

Cult members come from all walks of life, all age groups and all personality types. However, one common thread among most cult recruits is heightened stress.

How Stuff Works _ Cults

Also, PROXIMITY to cults is a huge factor.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165178116319941

I’ll try to get to those when I get a chance. I think I was more worried about getting recruited, which may be what kept me out. I kind of look at everything as a cult, like political parties and economic systems. The book, “Mistakes Were Made but Not By Me” was the one that put it all together for me. Although I guess it’s kind of out of date now. Like me.