What a long strange trip it's been.

A pretty decent review of how we got here. :wink:

Pretty decent indeed! It really showed the importance of maize and potatoes in the development of Native American civilizations. Also the importance of forests for energy, weapons, ships, the infant iron industry and housing, especially the hardwoods like oak. In fact at the end of the 18th Century the Brits French and Spanish were pumping out 1st rate ships to be later used during the Napoleonic Wars, e.g. The HMS Victory. It took 6,000 oak trees to build her not counting the pine and other ship’s stores and the Brits alone built 12 1st rates! They denuded their forests even before the industrial Rev. began in earnest. So we began to deforest the World well before the 20th Century began.
Cap’t Jack

A pretty decent review of how we got here. ;-) Native America before European Colonization Thomas NativeHistory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FItlStGMY4
Pretty decent indeed! It really showed the importance of maize and potatoes in the development of Native American civilizations. Also the importance of forests for energy, weapons, ships, the infant iron industry and housing, especially the hardwoods like oak. In fact at the end of the 18th Century the Brits French and Spanish were pumping out 1st rate ships to be later used during the Napoleonic Wars, e.g. The HMS Victory. It took 6,000 oak trees to build her not counting the pine and other ship's stores and the Brits alone built 12 1st rates! They denuded their forests even before the industrial Rev. began in earnest. So we began to deforest the World well before the 20th Century began. Cap't Jack
There's another trippy lesson hidden in there. The Little Ice Age may have been triggered by the regrowth of North American forests, rapidly sucking CO2 out of the atmosphere, when the indian populations were decimated by disease between 1492/1600 and no longer able to fire manage their lands.

Thanks cc. 2 million hits on a history documentary, must be something to it.

I missed this when you originally posted it, CC, because I was en route to Denmark. I watched this documentary for my Native American Cultures class last spring. Fascinating stuff. I hadn’t thought about the possible link to the Little Ice age.

I missed this when you originally posted it, CC, because I was en route to Denmark. I watched this documentary for my Native American Cultures class last spring. Fascinating stuff. I hadn't thought about the possible link to the Little Ice age.
pretty wild isn't it folds within folds of harmonic complexity :cheese:

I have listened to the audiobooks

and

Listening to the story of Jamestown compared to what I was told in school was shocking and amazing.
psik

I have listened to the audiobooks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1491:_New_Revelations_of_the_Americas_Before_Columbus and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1493:_Uncovering_the_New_World_Columbus_Created Listening to the story of Jamestown compared to what I was told in school was shocking and amazing. psik
Learning anything beyond what you were told in school is often shocking and amazing. Lois

… at times fascinating and amusing.
:slight_smile:

Oh and psikeyhackr, keep in mind almost none of this was known back in our school days say 60/80s
This stuff is the result of thousands of professors and scientists working tens of thousands of students and volunteers
investing hundreds of thousands of hours doing research throughout of continent, over the past half century.
These are the fruits of their labor.
Humanity bless them for it too :cheese: