Ways in which Christianity makes no sense – Intro

There are a lot of things about Christianity, the religious belief system I am most familiar with, which simply do not make any sense whatsoever. These are claims or beliefs which fly in the face of common sense and modern knowledge, even indisputable facts.

I wanted to point some of them out to see if anyone here had any interesting observations or knowledge they would like to share. I’m certainly not opposed to anyone who holds, or at least understands these beliefs to attempt to explain why they aren’t the nonsense they appear to be on the surface.

This certainly has the potential to be very, very long, so I am going to be breaking it up into different posts to make it more convenient. Even then, well, you guys know me by now. But I’ll do my best to get straight to the point and not stray too far.

Many years ago I tried reading the Bible. By the time Noah appeared in the story I was exhausted by the mental anguish of having to try to gloss or ignore the many instances of insanity. I had the idea of making a note of each bit that made me scratch or shake my head, but the task was too massive for my tiny little attention span to handle, so I never even started.

Are you going to do it by reading the Bible and posting the verses that make no sense?

These atheist challenges to Christian’s usually don’t get too far. I might play a little Christian advocate though.

Lausten said; I might play a little Christian advocate though.
I hope not as a subsitute for science...... :)
3point14rat said: Are you going to do it by reading the Bible and posting the verses that make no sense?
You may want this in your library : The Skeptics Annotated Bible, Quran, and Book of Mormons.

https://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

It lets you counter all questionable verses in those three Scriptures. Handy reference.

I like playing devil’s advocate. hehehehe

Widdershins said; This certainly has the potential to be very, very long, so I am going to be breaking it up into different posts to make it more convenient.
Great, that allows for well considered answers rather than hasty catch phrases. Can't wait to see Mriana's darker side........ :)

I’ve often gotten myself in trouble with others on such topics.

Write4U: "You may want this in your library : The Skeptics Annotated Bible, Quran, and Book of Mormons.

https://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

It lets you counter all questionable verses in those three Scriptures. Handy reference."

I stumbled on that website years ago. It’s not a site I check out regularly but it is a handy reference to go to when a friend makes a statement about the Bible that sounds fishy. I never use it to start arguments, but it is interesting. There’s no paper version in bookstores, but if there was I’d love to get it.

The toughest part of this thread will be having focus. It has the potential to devolve into a mass of random Bible quotes. Hopefully Widdershins can come up with a structure that prevents certain people from taking over the conversation. For example, maybe by taking the Bible and going through it in order and having only one or two days per ‘issue’, things might stay sane.

I would absolutely love for people to play devil’s advocate, especially in an intellectual way, explaining the parts I don’t understand. If there is sense to be made of this mythology I would really like to know it. I would like to point out that it is not my intention to rail against Christianity or dispute it (though I’m certain it will come off that way as that is how I feel about it). My intention is more to point out just how little sense some of this make to the person actually trying to figure out what they’re saying. The conversations where the person explaining it to you gets very, very angry when you ask questions about what they’re saying because even if you’re just trying to understand, they see it as an attack.

I am planning on doing each of these in separate posts, and I’m writing them out in advance so that I have the time to pair them down and get to the point. Not sure how many there will be, but I have one I think is done, another which needs some work and I had an idea as I was leaving work yesterday for another, but I can’t remember it now. I’m sure more will come to me.

I hope you haven’t abandoned the idea, widdershins. It sounds interesting and worthwhile to me. Do you have a verse or passage with which to begin?

3point14rat said; I never use it to start arguments, but it is interesting.
I never start a religious argument. But I'll never shy away from one.... :)

OK, I’ll start a religious argument. How about starting with “origins of Gods”. Did Gods exist before humans created them?

No humans created them. Such things can only exist when they are created.

"Did Gods exist before humans created them?"
No, they didn't.

A god begins to exist the second someone invents it. When the last mind that believes in a god either loses it’s belief in a god or dies, then all gods will be gone.

No mind = no gods. [Coincidentally, that is the opposite of the phrase that comes to mind when I talk to some religious people. Go figure!]

OK, good God fearing people, what say you. Did Gods exist before humans created them?