'Violence more common' in Bible than Quran, text analysis reveals

The Old Testament was found to be more than twice as violent as the Quran
link]

The article lists some of the study’s own shortcomings. I would add it does not look at the motivations or the lead up, only the described reactions to violence. Reading the OT can be quite strange, one minute you have grumbling old men wandering around in the desert, the next, they are fierce warriors. This is avoided in churches, just ask anyone about the “still soft voice of God”. They’ll know the poetry, but ask them what that voice said. They most likely won’t know it said to go build an army.
The Koran on the other hand talks about military strategy and the purpose of conquering.

Yes, indeed… But I think it would be interesting if there is a follow up study with more comprehensive method.
I’m not too familiar with the Koran, but I just feel that it’s not far worse than the Bible. It’s just the claim that it came directly from God that makes things much more difficult.
I feel that the Bible’s law about adultery, for example, seems to be much more complicated than the Koran’s

I'm not too familiar with the Koran, but I just feel that it's not far worse than the Bible. It's just the claim that it came directly from God that makes things much more difficult.
Does the Koran claim it came directly from god? The Bible does. Fundamentalist Christians use that to justify all manner of crazy beliefs.
I feel that the Bible's law about adultery, for example, seems to be much more complicated than the Koran's
What's so complicated? You take the adulterers to the edge of town and stone them to death. What does the Koran say?
Does the Koran claim it came directly from god? The Bible does. Fundamentalist Christians use that to justify all manner of crazy beliefs.
Many would argue otherwise. The mainline Christians don't believe so. They used to be the majority in where I lived, but it seems they are dying. The US Evangelical keep pumping their money to help exporting fundamentalist ideology to Africa and Asia.
What's so complicated? You take the adulterers to the edge of town and stone them to death. What does the Koran say?
Actually the Bible says: If a man rape a woman who was not engaged, he could pay her father some money and marry her. If she was engaged and nobody heard her scream, she would be stoned to dead. If somebody heard her scream, he would be stoned to dead. If husband believed his wife were having an affair, there was some ritual involving abortion drug and something like that. So, it's pretty complicated. I think Islam says: You need 4 men as the witness of rape case. Okay... both are awful... I don't prefer one to the other... Another point where I found Koran more favorable: the Bible blames man's fall on woman, while there's no such a thing in Koran.
Another point where I found Koran more favorable: the Bible blames man's fall on woman, while there's no such a thing in Koran.
So, what are we debating here? I find the opening article nothing more than a "fun fact", well, not-so-fun, but anyway. I listened to a liberal pastor who once said that he counted the number of times peace is discussed in the New Testament, and it's more than not-peace (or whatever), so peace wins, Jesus is all about peace. Counting words doesn't tell us much.
Another point where I found Koran more favorable: the Bible blames man's fall on woman, while there's no such a thing in Koran.
So, what are we debating here? I find the opening article nothing more than a "fun fact", well, not-so-fun, but anyway. I listened to a liberal pastor who once said that he counted the number of times peace is discussed in the New Testament, and it's more than not-peace (or whatever), so peace wins, Jesus is all about peace. Counting words doesn't tell us much.This article is journalism at its worst. Big inflammatory headline followed by a story that basically says, don't believe the headline. No wonder Trump gets away with criticizing journalists. Articles like this make them easy to hate.

<![CDATAThe Old Testament was found to be more than twice as violent as the Quran
link]
Is’nt that wonderful? The great teaching books espouse more or less violence!
We can also say that both the Koran and the Bible contain mure violence than “Mein Kampf”.
IMO, a low bar to discuss the merits of social philosophies.
What a ridiculous argument fot setting a moral social baseline for human behavior.
*Peaceful" individuals would reject any justification for violence in all three examples of social moral behavior on sight.]]>

Corrected post below.

So, what are we debating here? I find the opening article nothing more than a "fun fact", well, not-so-fun, but anyway. I listened to a liberal pastor who once said that he counted the number of times peace is discussed in the New Testament, and it's more than not-peace (or whatever), so peace wins, Jesus is all about peace. Counting words doesn't tell us much.This article is journalism at its worst. Big inflammatory headline followed by a story that basically says, don't believe the headline. No wonder Trump gets away with criticizing journalists. Articles like this make them easy to hate. There is no law that says a free press must alwys ne accurate or fair. Nomone ismin charge of a free press. It will succeed only if people support it, whether it's "good" journalism or not, whether it's accurate or fair or biased. That's how a free press works. No one is in charge of shuttimg it down for not being "accurate", though it can be sued. In addition, opinions are neither accurate nor inaccurate. Should they be comtrolled? Do you have a better way to have a free press, or are you more like our so-called president who wishes to end the free press. How would you design a government- controlled press? What restrictions would you put on it? Lois
Both anthologies of the New Testament and the Quran while being written adopted main stories from the Hebrew bible. At the earliest the inclusion of the Hebrew bible was almost verbatim.
So?

Corrected version of my edited post, which is being labeled as spam.

Many would argue otherwise. The mainline Christians don't believe so. They used to be the majority in where I lived, but it seems they are dying. The US Evangelical keep pumping their money to help exporting fundamentalist ideology to Africa and Asia.
Actually the Bible says: If a man rape a woman who was not engaged, he could pay her father some money and marry her. If she was engaged and nobody heard her scream, she would be stoned to dead. If somebody heard her scream, he would be stoned to dead. If husband believed his wife were having an affair, there was some ritual involving abortion drug and something like that. So, it's pretty complicated. I think Islam says: You need 4 men as the witness of rape case. Okay... both are awful... I don't prefer one to the other... Another point where I found Koran more favorable: the Bible blames man's fall on woman, while there's no such a thing in Koran. What does the Koran say should be done to punish adulterous men, abusive men and rapists? Or even unmarried men who have sex? What is their punishment--assuming they are considered ever to be doing anything "wrong" when it comes to sex and sexual exploitation of anyone? Also, did the woman have any say when a money transaction was carried out by her father and her rapist giving her rapist permission to marry her? Did any woman ever have any say about marrying a man her father chose? I could go on.
So, what are we debating here? I find the opening article nothing more than a "fun fact", well, not-so-fun, but anyway. I listened to a liberal pastor who once said that he counted the number of times peace is discussed in the New Testament, and it's more than not-peace (or whatever), so peace wins, Jesus is all about peace. Counting words doesn't tell us much.This article is journalism at its worst. Big inflammatory headline followed by a story that basically says, don't believe the headline. No wonder Trump gets away with criticizing journalists. Articles like this make them easy to hate. There is no law that says a free press must alwys ne accurate or fair. Nomone ismin charge of a free press. It will succeed only if people support it, whether it's "good" journalism or not, whether it's accurate or fair or biased. That's how a free press works. No one is in charge of shuttimg it down for not being "accurate", though it can be sued. In addition, opinions are neither accurate nor inaccurate. Should they be comtrolled? Do you have a better way to have a free press, or are you more like our so-called president who wishes to end the free press. How would you design a government- controlled press? What restrictions would you put on it? LoisCompletely off the mark. Journalists can say or do whatever they want. My point was, crap journalism, like crap free speech, has consequences. If you're a journalist and deceive readers, expect blowback, sometimes in the form of a dumb cluck with orange hair.

Yes, violence is mentioned in the Bible more often but having read both “holy” books I can assure you they are both filled with violence.