Utah Schools Take Climate Change Off Sixth Grade Curriculum After Parents Protest

https://www.readfulapp.com/site/AllVoices/?tag=News&item=5626a8a1336a3870075eb300
Don’t teach those kids too much about how the universe works. It might confuse them–especially Mormon kids. “Keep 'em uneducated,” should be their motto. Kansas and Oklahoma schools could use it, too. It should be on banners and signs at every school or board of education sponsored event. Stickers with that motto should be affixed to every government or school sign or flyer.
Lois

Ignorance gets you closer to God. And gets you more miracles from the Great Bearded Slot Machine in the Sky. Pat Robertson said so.

Another typical example of teaching students what to think not how to think. All school age children in this country should be exposed to the facts, e.g. AGW has been proven time and again for the last thirty years. Sagan was talking and writing about this very subject in the 70’s yet here we are pumping doubt into the heads of the next generation that will have to deal with the problem because a few “helicopter parents” don’t want their darlings to be exposed to the traumatic truth. Yet another example of revisionism rearing it’s ugly head, now in the field of Science.
Can’t Jack

Another typical example of teaching students what to think not how to think. All school age children in this country should be exposed to the facts, e.g. AGW has been proven time and again for the last thirty years. Sagan was talking and writing about this very subject in the 70's yet here we are pumping doubt into the heads of the next generation that will have to deal with the problem because a few "helicopter parents" don't want their darlings to be exposed to the traumatic truth. Yet another example of revisionism rearing it's ugly head, now in the field of Science. Can't Jack
Knowing how sixth grade kids usually react to something being off limits, these kids might soon be hiding in closets with flashlights poring over books and magazines about climate change. Lois

Unless it’s just never brought up. Which is likely the aim of this.

Probably doesn’t matter too much, the kids will hear about it one way or another.
The biggest problem is that it sets a precedent for other things to be done away with.

Knowing how sixth grade kids usually react to something being off limits, these kids might soon be hiding in closets with flashlights poring over books and magazines about climate change.
Interesting analogy. I'd much rather they read Skeptical Inquirer while hiding in that closet instead of the ubiquitous girly mag! Cap't Jack

Why cave to the parents? If they protested algebra, would that be removed next? When my son’s CATHOLIC school introduced a sex education program (believe it or not, it was a damned good one, I just had to add in birth control, abortion and homosexuality), beginning in the 2nd grade, to make sure they knew exactly how pregnancy occurred by the 6th grade, parents were up in arms protesting, but the school/diocese went ahead anyway. It was a much better program than the local schools offered…probably because they caved to parental protests…

Kind of scares the crap out of me when I think about the “home schooled” kids.

I’m relieved when I see kids getting vaccinated against their parent’s objections, or next generations of spiritual leaders speaking out, like the grandson of L Ron Hubbard. There are large and growing organizations to land in now for people who question the old thinking. There was always the choice of reading a book or studying science, but that can take time, and you had to pick up the right book. Most knowledge begins with hearing something from someone you trust. That’s easier to find now.

I’m relieved when I see kids getting vaccinated against their parent’s objections, or next generations of spiritual leaders speaking out, like the grandson of L Ron Hubbard. There are large and growing organizations to land in now for people who question the old thinking. There was always the choice of reading a book or studying science, but that can take time, and you had to pick up the right book. Most knowledge begins with hearing something from someone you trust. That’s easier to find now.
And getting easier as more freethinkers speak up and become active politically and culturally by letting the general public know that we are here to stay. This is exactly what the conservative community fears the most, the Secularization of this country. They angrily point out that this is a Christian country founded on Judeo-Xtian principles and this innacurate cliche is being spouted by every Republican candidate currently in the running for Prez. This is precisely why the neo-cons want the history and science books changed to conform to their agenda. "As the twig is bent, so grows the tree" so to speak. Cap't Jack
Kind of scares the crap out of me when I think about the "home schooled" kids.
Beware the false dichotomy... All home schoolers are not bible thumping, living on the compound-types. ;-) I know several secular homeschooling families. And yes, of course, there are folks who home school for religious reasons. There are also religious people who home school but not for religious reasons. Indoctrination obviously occurs regardless of the source of education. (I also know home schoolers who vaccinate their kids! :) ) Regardless, I can't even find the right verb(s) to express my opinion on this kind of stupidity in public education. (Or any type of education for that matter.) Take care, Derek
https://www.readfulapp.com/site/AllVoices/?tag=News&item=5626a8a1336a3870075eb300 Don't teach those kids too much about how the universe works. It might confuse them--especially Mormon kids. "Keep 'em uneducated," should be their motto.
Are they supposed to know about climate without knowing about electricity? How much CO2 comes from producing electricity, but what do schools teach about that? Shouldn't we teach kids to understand what they can see and test and measure before they have to make decisions about future uncertainties? A digital multimeter cost hundreds of dollars from specialty stores when I was in high school. Now you can get one for $20 from Walmart. Education is not just about what happens to be controversial at the time and that tends to turn into propaganda depending on which side the teacher is on. Two weeks ago I was listening to an anti-gun high school teacher propagandizing her class. I don't own a gun but I am not anti-gun either. psik
https://www.readfulapp.com/site/AllVoices/?tag=News&item=5626a8a1336a3870075eb300 Don't teach those kids too much about how the universe works. It might confuse them--especially Mormon kids. "Keep 'em uneducated," should be their motto.
Are they supposed to know about climate without knowing about electricity? How much CO2 comes from producing electricity, but what do schools teach about that? Shouldn't we teach kids to understand what they can see and test and measure before they have to make decisions about future uncertainties? A digital multimeter cost hundreds of dollars from specialty stores when I was in high school. Now you can get one for $20 from Walmart. Education is not just about what happens to be controversial at the time and that tends to turn into propaganda depending on which side the teacher is on. Two weeks ago I was listening to an anti-gun high school teacher propagandizing her class. I don't own a gun but I am not anti-gun either. psik Climate change should be part of the science curriculum and should not be dependent on the opinions of individial teachers, schools or the board of education. It shluld be set by an independent scientific education organization. The subject of guns is not a part of the scientofic curriculum or any educational curriculum that I know of and they have no place in a discussion about the teaching of science. Teachers' political views should not come into the classroom--whether it's climate change or guns or religion or anything else. Whether you own a gun and are either pro or anti gun also has no place in a discussion about a science curriculum, either. The fact that the teacher you cite mentioned her position on guns also has no place in the classroom under any circumstances. It's a completely different subject than the science curriculum. Lois
Climate change should be part of the science curriculum and should not be dependent on the opinions of individial teachers, schools or the board of education. It shluld be set by an independent scientific education organization.
Shouldn't an "independent scientific education organization" be able to figure out is planned obsolescence is happening in cars 46 years after the Moon landing? psik
Interesting analogy. I'd much rather they read Skeptical Inquirer while hiding in that closet instead of the ubiquitous girly mag! Cap't Jack
You mean they haven't gone the way of Playboy. :wow: I thought the internet and sexting took care of those.
Shouldn't an "independent scientific education organization" be able to figure out is planned obsolescence is happening in cars 46 years after the Moon landing?
But, it smashed up against the reality of the profit motive. Stupid, ultimate self destructive, but hey it's a great ride while it lasts.
Shouldn't an "independent scientific education organization" be able to figure out is planned obsolescence is happening in cars 46 years after the Moon landing?
But, it smashed up against the reality of the profit motive. Stupid, ultimate self destructive, but hey it's a great ride while it lasts. Funny how all of this talk about education and capitalism doesn't lead to the conclusion that double-entry accounting should be mandatory in the schools. It is more like "education" is supposed to produce suckers that can be used. That is why I wrote this: http://www.spectacle.org/1199/wargame.html When I read The Screwing of the Average Man in 1976 I did not have the slightest clue about global warming. But when I finally connected the two it seemed kind of obvious. So all of this talk about sustainability without discussion of planned obsolescence seems totally nonsensical to me. psik