Upcoming elections

Hi, my name is Scott Pryor and I’ve been following CFI on Facebook for a little while now after watching several science debates on YouTube. I recently attended the Sam Harris talk with my wife and we enjoyed ourselves. I just became an official member a few minutes ago so I’m not familiar with any forum conversations that are currently going on.
I was wondering if CFI had any plans for the upcoming elections? I would be interested in volunteering if there was an initiative going on: handing out literature about the candidates (impartial, of course) or other activities. I’ve often wondered how much voters know about their candidates before voting. I’m thinking it’s not much more than what they see in the TV ads. Wouldn’t it be nice to hand out summaries of voting records for each candidate? At least then people could make an informed decision instead of the lies they see from their campaigns.
A little bit about me: I grew up in PA with a non-religious family with a generic protestant background. We celebrated Easter and Christmas but with Santa and Easter Bunny, not with Jesus. :slight_smile: I’ve been married for 25 years, I lived with my wife and 4 kids in New York State for 16 years before moving to VA 9 years ago. We raised our kids in a similar fashion although her side the family is Baptist (her grandfather, who was a minister, married us), it really hasn’t been a large influence or lives. Her parents have been (and in a positive way!) but not the religious part. :slight_smile:
I’ve never used to think about religion much, it just wasn’t important to me. If asked about my religion, I would just say “none” or agnostic (I learned that term playing D&D!) Only recently have I come realize that that proper term for my belief is atheism. I had long confused it with anti-theism which is not me since most the people I’m friends with are theists and are perfectly nice people!
I value making opinions and decisions based on evidence and I am skeptical and open minded. I don’t mind admitting my ignorance on a topic and I often change my mind if I find more evidence that shows I was wrong.

Welcome to the CFI Forum, Scott. This Forum is a place for open conversation and inquiry. If you want to ask about volunteer opportunities with the Center, probably the best way is to contact your local CFI branch. You can use the Branches, Programs, and Affiliates button in the upper right hand corner of the CFI homepage, HERE].

Thanks, Doug. I just requested access to the Google Group.

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the site. :slight_smile:
MzL

Hi, my name is Scott Pryor and I've been following CFI on Facebook for a little while now after watching several science debates on YouTube. I recently attended the Sam Harris talk with my wife and we enjoyed ourselves. I just became an official member a few minutes ago so I'm not familiar with any forum conversations that are currently going on. I was wondering if CFI had any plans for the upcoming elections? I would be interested in volunteering if there was an initiative going on: handing out literature about the candidates (impartial, of course) or other activities. I've often wondered how much voters know about their candidates before voting. I'm thinking it's not much more than what they see in the TV ads. Wouldn't it be nice to hand out summaries of voting records for each candidate? At least then people could make an informed decision instead of the lies they see from their campaigns. A little bit about me: I grew up in PA with a non-religious family with a generic protestant background. We celebrated Easter and Christmas but with Santa and Easter Bunny, not with Jesus. :-) I've been married for 25 years, I lived with my wife and 4 kids in New York State for 16 years before moving to VA 9 years ago. We raised our kids in a similar fashion although her side the family is Baptist (her grandfather, who was a minister, married us), it really hasn't been a large influence or lives. Her parents have been (and in a positive way!) but not the religious part. :-) I've never used to think about religion much, it just wasn't important to me. If asked about my religion, I would just say "none" or agnostic (I learned that term playing D&D!) Only recently have I come realize that that proper term for my belief is atheism. I had long confused it with anti-theism which is not me since most the people I'm friends with are theists and are perfectly nice people! I value making opinions and decisions based on evidence and I am skeptical and open minded. I don't mind admitting my ignorance on a topic and I often change my mind if I find more evidence that shows I was wrong.
Welcome, I too am big on people exercising their right to vote and you enjpy the site.
Hi, my name is Scott Pryor and I've been following CFI on Facebook for a little while now after watching several science debates on YouTube. I recently attended the Sam Harris talk with my wife and we enjoyed ourselves. I just became an official member a few minutes ago so I'm not familiar with any forum conversations that are currently going on. I was wondering if CFI had any plans for the upcoming elections? I would be interested in volunteering if there was an initiative going on: handing out literature about the candidates (impartial, of course) or other activities. I've often wondered how much voters know about their candidates before voting. I'm thinking it's not much more than what they see in the TV ads. Wouldn't it be nice to hand out summaries of voting records for each candidate? At least then people could make an informed decision instead of the lies they see from their campaigns. A little bit about me: I grew up in PA with a non-religious family with a generic protestant background. We celebrated Easter and Christmas but with Santa and Easter Bunny, not with Jesus. :-) I've been married for 25 years, I lived with my wife and 4 kids in New York State for 16 years before moving to VA 9 years ago. We raised our kids in a similar fashion although her side the family is Baptist (her grandfather, who was a minister, married us), it really hasn't been a large influence or lives. Her parents have been (and in a positive way!) but not the religious part. :-) I've never used to think about religion much, it just wasn't important to me. If asked about my religion, I would just say "none" or agnostic (I learned that term playing D&D!) Only recently have I come realize that that proper term for my belief is atheism. I had long confused it with anti-theism which is not me since most the people I'm friends with are theists and are perfectly nice people! I value making opinions and decisions based on evidence and I am skeptical and open minded. I don't mind admitting my ignorance on a topic and I often change my mind if I find more evidence that shows I was wrong.
Welcone, Scott. You will fit right in here. Lois

Welcome aboard, Scott. I’ve enjoyed your posts. Please stick around and contribute often.

Hi, my name is Scott Pryor and I’ve been following CFI on Facebook for a little while now after watching several science debates on YouTube. I recently attended the Sam Harris talk with my wife and we enjoyed ourselves. I just became an official member a few minutes ago so I’m not familiar with any forum conversations that are currently going on. I was wondering if CFI had any plans for the upcoming elections? I would be interested in volunteering if there was an initiative going on: handing out literature about the candidates (impartial, of course) or other activities. I’ve often wondered how much voters know about their candidates before voting. I’m thinking it’s not much more than what they see in the TV ads. Wouldn’t it be nice to hand out summaries of voting records for each candidate? At least then people could make an informed decision instead of the lies they see from their campaigns.
Hello Scott, glad to have you here and I've been enjoying your posts. What part of PA. Are you from? We visit Pittsburg often; my son-in-law's from there and is a Pitt grad so we go to Heinz field a lot! Also glad to hear that you want to become politically active. Too many of us have become jaded over the years and tend to back away from politics, but now is the time to dive in. There are billionaires out there backing one single party (hmmm, I wonder which one??) but their plan can be derailed at the ballot box. You can personally motivate your friends, family and coworkers then go around the neighborhood knocking on doors, handing out flyers, talking to clubs etc. I've done it and as simplistic as it sounds it does have an effect. People have forgotten that even after spending literally millions of dollars, restricting voting rights, playing misleading and false attack ads, having their own media network spew rumors and fear mongering that President Obama handily defeated them for a second term. What Galls me is those of us who declare the country an oligarchy, and throw up their hands in defeat. We only have a democracy if it's fought for and used! The people who represent us are only there because they won an election by those who voted! It's a simple task to remove them by voting for the other guy. So, good luck in your area in VA. Hope you live near D.C. It's blue. Cap't Jack

I grew up on the other side of PA closer to Philadelphia, between Allentown and Reading. We’re now in Northern VA, about an hour outside of DC.
I guess the thing I’m interested in with voting is that I believe that people vote based on political ads rather than a candidate’s voting record. I think it would be helpful to have a list of voting records by candidate broken down into topical categories. You could ask someone what topic do they think is the most important (maybe they say “the economy”) then you show them relevant voting records for the candidates who are actually working improve things on that topic. They might be surprised in many cases to find out the candidate they were going to vote for doesn’t really align with their own values and another candidate fits better.
I’m fairly liberal myself but I envision this not to be pushing a specific political agenda, rather making sure people understand who they are voting for.

I’m fairly liberal myself but I envision this not to be pushing a specific political agenda, rather making sure people understand who they are voting for.
I agree and you can find the voting records of every member of Congress, House and Senate by looking it up in the Congressional Record or by visiting the website of your local representatives, both State and National. They should have their records displayed on each issue, then just print them off and use them as talking points for your friends and neighbors. Or you could contact your local political party office (Republican and Democrat) for information. Often times they already have The info printed out. Unfortunately most voters just rely on the propaganda, rumors and innuendos from acquaintances or authority figures like pastors, priests or employers, and yes they do influence voters. My son, who works for Applbees Restaurant was specifically told to vote for Romney or risk losing working hours. He campaigned for Obama and took a picture of the memo sent by Corporate tacked on the employee bulletin board. The whole kitchen staff voted for Obama. Cap't Jack

Sometimes it is worse than that. My brother, who was recently diagnosed with Stage IV liver cancer, has insurance only because of Obamacare. Despite that he and our parents are still adamant Republicans.

I really believe that it is a mindset Darron. Both of my parents are Republicans but my Father is a moderate while my Mother is a conservative Republican. I’ve convinced Dad to vote for Grimes v. McConnell but Mom will probably still vote Republican because it’s been a tradition in her family since Roosevelt’s second term. Prior to that both sides of her family voted Democratic, but the party represented conservatism until then. Today I am the only liberal Democratic member of the family that votes that way. All of my relatives are conservative, fundamentalist Republicans, as is my wife’s family. We are truly the black sheep and we’re presently raising another crop of free thinkers, our granddaughters, who may become whatever they wish in the future.
Cap’t Jack

Well since you are talking upcoming election.
Hope you don’t mind me pointing you to my two cents worth.

Sunday, September 21, 2014 Why bother to vote in USA's Nov 4th election ? {Check out the informative links at the end of this article} http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2014/09/why-bother-to-vote.html
Well since you are talking upcoming election. Hope you don’t mind me pointing you to my two cents worth. Sunday, September 21, 2014 Why bother to vote in USA’s Nov 4th election ? {Check out the informative links at the end of this article} http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2014/09/why-bother-to-vote.html
This article was well worth the two cents CC. And I'll have to say that I approve this message! Non voters truly get what they deserve. Cap't Jack

Hi Scott!! Hope the republiCons do not take the Senate.