The musical matrix.

Was musing about the various musical ranges of instruments and why they are used in music composition. Found something:

Music. Now available to mankind at a level never known, heretofore, in terms of the sheer quantity, the diversity, the types, the complexity, the range. But why? How has it promoted survival to reproduction? It is not a semantical language. It does express, communicate, and elicit emotions. Perhaps that has been critical in some way in our evolution.

Music. Now available to mankind at a level never known, heretofore, in terms of the sheer quantity, the diversity, the types, the complexity, the range. But why? How has it promoted survival to reproduction? It is not a semantical language. It does express, communicate, and elicit emotions. Perhaps that has been critical in some way in our evolution.
I am certain of it.

An interesting clip about the connection between types of music and personality of the listener.
MSN

Except for the Nora Jones song it all sucked.

Except for the Nora Jones song it all sucked.
You must have an empathic personality then. A well developed MNN. It;s a good thing.

What a load. It’s a bunch of Barnum Effect BS.

What a load. It's a bunch of Barnum Effect BS.
I am not sure what "Barnum Effect BS" conrtibutes to the discussion. I went through three pages of the Barnum Effect on wikii, seeking any reference to emotional responseses of certain types of people to certain types of music. Alas, that was a waste of my time. Can you clarify your knee-jerk comment? .