The labels we accept, but shouldn’t

Often times when there are two sides debating (usually arguing) about some altered version of reality the sides are labeled. There is Gnostic and agnostic, theist and atheist, etc. And those labels make sense much of the time. But sometimes the labels are not quite so straight forward. Sometimes they aren’t even accurate. They may sound accurate, on the surface, but when you actually think about the label it isn’t even close to accurate.

The most glaring instance of this which comes to mind is the word “skeptic”, used for those who don’t accept the wild stories of people who have no evidence. And often times those of us on the other side accept that label, but it’s not at all accurate. There is zero empirical evidence for various belief systems. Realizing this, I am not a “skeptic” of these belief systems. I do not “doubt” these belief systems. I reject them outright. Nobody would say, “I am skeptical that Santa Claus is real” because that makes it sound like they are considering the possibility, but have not yet seen enough evidence to be convinced. And the truly crazy thing about it is that there is a LOT more evidence for Santa Claus than there is for some of these other beliefs. I have personally witnessed Christmas presents magically appearing overnight, the tag indicating that they were brought by the mysterious figure. There is actual, empirical evidence for the existence of Santa Claus. That evidence just has a more rational explanation.

That being said, I am not a skeptic of ghosts, alternative medicine, alien visitation of our planet, souls, Bigfoot, crop circles, psychic powers, auras, fortune telling, magic or gods. I am not “skeptical” of these things; I do not believe them at all. To say that I am a skeptic of these ideas is to imply that I have not yet seen “enough” evidence to be convinced. The reality is that there isn’t ANY evidence at all. Supporters use flawed logic to manufacture evidence out of thin air, believing that if they can just eliminate every mundane possibility then their explanation, being the only one left, is correct. In reality that just takes you to the baseline of “I don’t know” AND THEN you have to find evidence to support your actual claim.

I am skeptical of many thing, but there is not a single magical belief that I am a skeptic of. I do not accept that there is any supportive evidence whatsoever. I am not a denier either. To deny is to reject what evidence there is and there is no evidence. I am a realist, a rationalist, ready and willing to accept any actual, real evidence you have in support of your belief, but unwilling to pretend that flawed logic constitutes actual evidence.

Belief doesn’t require evidence. One believes when he accepts a claim is true. Seeing is not believing. Many will assure you that believing is seeing.

We never find absolute proof, only a preponderance of evidence which we accept.

I don’t disagree with any of that. But there is either at least some evidence for something or there is not. If there is no evidence at all to support something then I am not a “skeptic” of that thing because being “skeptical” assumes that there is some evidence, just not enough to convince me. Saying that I am, for instance, an alien visitation skeptic, doesn’t accurately convey that I am completely aware that there is zero evidence for alien visitation to this planet. It says that I have looked at all the “evidence” on offer and found it lacking, not that it doesn’t exist at all.

But if you look at the so called “evidence” it’s just a pile of things which are so far “unexplained”. Unexplained doesn’t mean you just get to make up an answer to explain it. There is not one shred of evidence to even remotely suggest that aliens, specifically, have visited this planet. That’s just the conclusion drawn by people who already wanted to believe that.

I have personally witnessed Christmas presents magically appearing overnight, the tag indicating that they were brought by the mysterious figure.
Imagine going to a magic show, and the magician says, "okay, everyone off to bed, if you want to see the magic, you have to close yourself in a room for 8 hours, and if you were unconscious, that'd be better."

Yet, this is what people accept all the time. They look at a short video of the WTC falling and ignore every other piece of evidence, and then call the video “true”. “Skeptic” is misused, but words like “true” and “reality” and “fact” are just misunderstood. I’ve been in too many conversations that end with “well, we just don’t really know anything for sure do we?”

Unexplained doesn’t mean you just get to make up an answer to explain it.
Of course it does. We experience effect; we assign cause. Description and explanation.
There is not one shred of evidence to even remotely suggest that aliens, specifically, have visited this planet. That’s just the conclusion drawn by people who already wanted to believe that.
Since all experience is personal, I find your assertion that the experience reported by some is "a conclusion drawn by people who already wanted to believe" to be illogical. Unless you somehow know what these people wanted to believe before their experience there is no basis for your assertion other than any assumptions and beliefs you may have concerning alien visitation.

I suggest your premise that they wanted to believe would require you to reverse your assertion if you could determine that they actually did not believe prior to their experience. If so, your logical course would be to be skeptical of their claims.

This needs a name, something like “the believers paradox”. The paradox is, all evidence is valid but evidence that someone is insincere or biased is unacceptable. I’ve seen people dismiss evidence out of hand and continue to claim they are basing their conclusions on all available evidence.

It’s true that we can’t get inside people’s heads, but we can share our desires and reveal our motivations, sometimes inadvertently. If not, solving crimes would be really difficult, we couldn’t determine motive.

It’s not true that all experience is personal. Personal experience is personal, but I can read books or listen to stories and empathize with another’s experience. We theorize what it would be like to travel beyond the galaxy or to be a microscopic organism.

We are meaning makers and agency detectors, but that’s not what makes something real.

well, we just don’t really know anything for sure do we?
Ah, I hate the "Storm" defense (named for Tim Minchin's Storm).
Of course it does. We experience effect; we assign cause. Description and explanation.
You misunderstood basically everything I said. And I hate to break it to you, but you're never going to out-logic me until you start using actual logic. You are trying to conflate actual, useful analysis with simply making things up. Yes, you do "assign cause". In fact, that's exactly what I was saying. However, that's not what people are doing when they are critically analyzing something. They are "determining cause" by using "data" collected. "Assigning cause" is what you do when you are choosing the cause based on what you want to believe.

What I am saying is that there is no path from “lights in the sky” straight to “alien visitation” with no other evidence. And no, “eyewitness accounts” are not “evidence”. Believing because of eyewitness accounts is exactly equivalent to believing “because they said it was true”. I’ll say it again, there is ZERO evidence for alien visitation. No DNA, no body, no downed craft, no communications, we haven’t so much as definitively detected a single microbe anyplace but this planet yet. Think about that. Science currently has zero evidence that life exists anywhere off this planet. But you do? Come on. I know what these people wanted to believe before their experience using a method very similar to what YOU just advocated for, except I do it correctly. I see the effect of the claim of alien visitation, I look at the evidence at hand, I examine that evidence for a path from “lights in the sky” to “alien visitation”, I see that the only step in between is to demand that it could not be any alternative I might suggest, I note the resistance to even entertain any other possible explanation and I conclude logically that, given that the explanation is not evidence based, the explanation is “assigned” based on a desire to hold that belief.

I’m sorry, but your “logical evaluation” of what I was saying is way off. You misinterpreted or reinterpreted pretty much all of it. You use “experience” where I used “conclusion”. The two are independent. I have had “experiences” with UFOs, and I have drawn “conclusions” from those experiences, but the experience and conclusion were different things. The experience is a thing that happened, the conclusion is the belief, sometimes fact based, sometimes based on assumptions, which I form based on that experience.

And my premise that they wanted to believe is also a logical conclusion and, again, you swapped out terms on me. You want from “wanted to believe”, a desire, to “actually did believe”, a belief. Those are not the same thing. I have a desire to believe in alien visitation. Who doesn’t? How cool would that be? But I don’t have a belief in alien visitation. So once again you are using terms which are not equivalents interchangeably. This is why your logic is so messed up and unreliable. If you can’t even properly define what you are saying, muddling it altogether to shoehorn in the outcome you like (in this case that my logic is flawed) then you cannot hope to develop a sound logical analysis.

And no, I would not have to reverse my assertion if I were to find that a person did not hold a belief before an experience. I said that they “wanted to believe”. That is a desire. And I said that the “conclusion” was based on this desire, not the experience. So let me walk you through the logic from some real-world examples I have seen.

I heard the claim that there is evidence for “UFOs” (what they really meant here was “alien visitation” because the “U” means “Unidentified”, which means you cannot use the term to describe something which you are “Identifying”, but this lot just loves to use incompatible terms interchangeably). When I chatted with them I found that they were actually claiming proof for <insert personal belief system>. Some claimed alien visitation. Some claimed demons. Some claimed creatures from the center of the Earth. Interestingly all of these conclusions were drawn from the same reported “experience”. That was my first clue that people were making shit up. In fact, there simply could not be evidence that all 3 things were true, so right off the bat I can logically conclude that a minimum of 2 out of 3 UFO enthusiasts are not great at critical thinking.

So, from there I start to question them. I try to determine what “evidence” went between the experience “lights in the sky” and “conclusion”. You saw lights in the sky, what lead to the conclusion that those lights were aliens, demons or reptile mantis mole people? In every case I found that there was no evidence of any sort to lead to the conclusion. I also found that in every case these people rejected any and all alternative explanations. In every single case, without anything even remotely resembling an exception, if you could not prove definitively, with no doubt, absolutely what a thing was then the believer was not swayed. Ever. Not once in a couple of years at this. This lead me to a logical conclusion. If the person holds this belief from which they cannot be dissuaded, and there was no actual reason I could discern to hold that belief, the belief can only be based on a desire to hold that belief, or, in some cases, the person may have been convinced by someone else, but this isn’t the type that hangs out in such forums. The people who go online to chat about these things, you had better believe there’s a desire to believe. This interests them. That’s why they’re in the forums. Hell, that’s why I was in the forums. I just have a higher standard for holding a belief than most of them did.

Keep in mind that the experience here is completely irrelevant. A belief can come from an experience, but it can also exist without a supporting experience. And I never actually said anything about an experience anyway. The belief comes from a desire to believe. This desire may exist before an experience or it may be caused by an experience. A person may have never considered something before, then have an experience which they cannot explain by facts, which creates a desire to explain it in any way possible, sometimes becoming a desire to explain it in a certain way, which in turn allows the formation of a belief. Or they may just here about someone else’s experience, real or imagined, like the idea, and desire to believe it’s true. And this isn’t some hocus pocus I’m making up just for you. This is actually how many beliefs are formed. This is how intelligent people join cults or pyramid schemes. It is much, much easier to believe something that we want to believe. This is especially true for beliefs such as the belief that you, personally, have more evidence for something than all of science in every field over the entire planet.

beliefs such as the belief that you, personally, have more evidence for something than all of science in every field over the entire planet.
Tell me how you came to believe that I have "the belief" that I have "evidence for something".

Is this something that you believe because you want to believe it?

It’s not true that all experience is personal.
I think you will find the idea that all experience is personal is generally regarded as among first principles in philosophy and science. I think it is directly connected to the idea of "I am".

Using your example: If you read a book, your experience is of reading a book. You do not experience what was described in the book. I doesn’t matter whether the book is about an out-of-body experience, alien abduction, a jungle adventure or love making, you don’t experience those things from reading about them. The images you gather from the book may stimulate your imagination and produce some fantasy, but that is not the same as having the actual experience.

If you were to write a book about your experience of reading a book, I don’t believe you would claim to have had the experience related in that book. I suggest that second hand experience is essentially hearsay, and this may be why Widdershins rejects reports without physical evidence.

You do not experience what was described in the book.
This is my point. You even use the term "second hand experience". So are you saying that anything but personal experience doesn't count as evidence? The problem with that is your personal experience can be wrong, your senses can fool you. That's why we repeat experiment and say things like "show me".
beliefs such as the belief that you, personally, have more evidence for something than all of science in every field over the entire planet. --W

Tell me how you came to believe that I have “the belief” that I have “evidence for something”.

Is this something that you believe because you want to believe it? --B

He says “such as”, that means, an example. Don’t start arguments about things that aren’t being said.

You even use the term “second hand experience”.
I should not have used that phrase; it really has no meaning. I accept that all experience is personal and the experiences of others told to us are hearsay.
So are you saying that anything but personal experience doesn’t count as evidence?
I suppose I might be. Anything other than "personal" experience comes to us from someone else or by some other means. In order to accept what we get from others as true we must trust them or at least accept that their claims are reasonable and logical based on our previous experience.
The problem with that is your personal experience can be wrong, your senses can fool you.
I don't see how experience can be "wrong"; I think it is just what it is. I accept that our conclusions about our experiences can be wrong.

He [Widdershins] says “such as”, that means, an example. Don’t start arguments about things that aren’t being said.
Well perhaps I was wrong when I read "such as the belief that you, personally, have" was indicating that he thought I did have such a belief. I did not read it as meaning that someone else may have such a belief. I took it personally; my apologies if it wasn't.
In order to accept what we get from others as true we must trust them or at least accept that their claims are reasonable and logical based on our previous experience.
This is where you start to realize you don't make sense. This is the beginnings of the scientific method.
I don’t see how experience can be “wrong”; I think it is just what it is. I accept that our conclusions about our experiences can be wrong.
That is of course what I meant. I even followed up with, "your senses can fool you".

All our brains do is making “best guesses” of the meaning contained in the sensory information the brain receives .

Descartes “brain in vat” can be made to believe it is taking a stroll in the park.

Descartes “brain in vat” can be made to believe it is taking a stroll in the park.
So what do we do when we find out that our brains are in a vat and are being made to believe that we are attending to other brains in vats that are tending to ours? :)
Tell me how you came to believe that I have “the belief” that I have “evidence for something”.

Is this something that you believe because you want to believe it?

I may have confused you with other users in a UFO thread. I do that sometimes, as I have said before. I do not claim to know what you believe, though I may have thought I knew when I wrote that.

I have been in enough of these conversations to see immediately what you did there, too. I call that one the “keep them on the defensive” tactic. It allows you to a) look like you made an effort to respond, b) chastise the person you’re responding to, thus getting a “hit” in yourself and c) change the subject to distract from the reality that you made no response and had no point. It allows you to feel/look like you did something without actually having to address a single point made. It’s an “argument for argument’s sake” response which does nothing to further understanding on either side. It’s intention is generally to lessen the impact of an argument one cannot easily refute.

My comments were to address what I saw as dismissing the reported personal experience of another as non-evidence because his conclusions were, in your opinion, wrong. It looked to me like that was the basis for your claim to not be a skeptic. You seem to have defined the inputs into your consideration process as not evidence before you could consider them so that you could say there is no evidence to be skeptical of. I think this is similar to setting up a question in a way that only one answer is possible. I don’t see the if-then of logic in it.

My comments were to address what I saw as dismissing the reported personal experience of another as non-evidence because his conclusions were, in your opinion, wrong.
The reason you don't see the logic is that you are making assumptions and dismissing evidence of one type while accepting a different type. You take the personal experience as evidence. Widdershins and I also account for that evidence. Then you ignore the weight of all the other evidence. Call it opinion if you want, doesn't matter. To come to a conclusion about something, you have to weigh the evidence for and against. That means all the evidence of all the times someone has reported a UFO experience.

Obviously, you can’t get all of it. Maybe there is a guy somewhere up on a mountain in the Andes right now talking to some aliens. And we can’t detect it because, blah, blah, blah. Sure, that’s possible. It’s just highly improbable. That’s not “dismissing”, that’s calculating probability based on evidence.