The electrical blueprints that orchestrate life | Michael Levin

I read about this when the first stories came out a few years back, it seemed a bit interesting, a bit weird, and it fell to the wayside.

Today in a search for something interesting I stumbled on this interview with Mike Levin PhD, then was compelled to do some internet trawling and he’s the real deal, and it seems he’s got a hold of a mind blowing insight. And terrifying potentials for reckless human to mess with.

But so far as trying to understand who we are and how we were formed, it’s incredible, then again with more learning and understanding it might be quite credible after all, and merely amazing.

www. statnews. com/2018/01/02/michael-levin-bioelectricity/

He makes tadpoles with eyes on their tails. Could that one day help solve birth defects in humans? (and lordie only knows what else)

By Eric Boodman - Jan. 2, 2018

If you ask how that cell is able to assemble itself among others to make the right shape — heart on the left, liver on the right, two hands with five fingers each — most people would say that’s all in the genes.

To Michael Levin, those people aren’t quite right. It’s true that genes code for proteins, and proteins are the building blocks of life. But if you want to fix a problem in the body’s structure — a birth defect, say — knowing which genes are involved will only get you so far. …

In his lab at Tufts University, Levin has been trying to figure out the other steps of the equation. He’s convinced that bioelectricity — the electrical circuits that ebb and flow among cells and tissues — plays a central role. …

wyss. harvard. edu/news/mike-levin-on-electrifying-insights-into-how-bodies-form/

Maybe it’s the current patterns that tell the microtubules what to do?

Folds, within folds of cumulative harmonic complexity flowing down the cascade of time. Or?

Is that how the X-Men do it? Another subroutine in the software?!

Mark Levin

This is outside my scope of knowledge, but clearly they process EM energy. After all they are bipolar (+, - ) coils which indicates EM function.

Bundles of Brain Microtubules Generate Electrical Oscillations
María del Rocío Cantero,
Cecilia Villa Etchegoyen,
Paula L. Perez,
Noelia Scarinci &
Horacio F. Cantiello
Scientific Reports volume 8, Article number: 11899 (2018) Cite this article

Abstract

Microtubules (MTs) are long cylindrical structures of the cytoskeleton that control cell division, intracellular transport, and the shape of cells. MTs also form bundles, which are particularly prominent in neurons, where they help define axons and dendrites. MTs are bio-electrochemical transistors that form nonlinear electrical transmission lines. However, the electrical properties of most MT structures remain largely unknown. Here we show that bundles of brain MTs spontaneously generate electrical oscillations and bursts of electrical activity similar to action potentials.
Under intracellular-like conditions, voltage-clamped MT bundles displayed electrical oscillations with a prominent fundamental frequency at 39 Hz that progressed through various periodic regimes. The electrical oscillations represented, in average, a 258% change in the ionic conductance of the MT structures. Interestingly, voltage-clamped membrane-permeabilized neurites of cultured mouse hippocampal neurons were also capable of both, generating electrical oscillations, and conducting the electrical signals along the length of the structure.
Our findings indicate that electrical oscillations are an intrinsic property of brain MT bundles, which may have important implications in the control of various neuronal functions, including the gating and regulation of cytoskeleton-regulated excitable ion channels and electrical activity that may aid and extend to higher brain functions such as memory and consciousness.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-30453-2

@johncitizen1, Great, example of dilbert’s brain at work.

I’m trying discussing serious biological breakthroughs in understanding and share the impressive work of a very smart dude Dr. Michael Levin, PhD. (What shame I overlooked that precaution when I wrote that title) Apparently, John Q. Citizen can’t escape his FOX mind prison so has to toss in a malicious, hate filled moron, who by coincidence has the same name, just to be an irritant.

John, take your Michael Levin, professional liar, right wing crazy totalitarian, and mainline your obscene pal on your own time and in the privacy of your room.

I have requested the mod remove #343120, because you’re petty little monster does not belong anywhere within this thread, since it absolutely, maliciously off topic!

@johncitizen1 This isn’t the first time you’ve received a warning about staying on topic. I believe it is the second time. A third time may get you banned. Also, Faux News has proven itself not to be a reliable source for anything. Even if it is the same guy, what the video discusses is completely off topic.

Not to divert further - but it’s Michael vs Mark

And my X-men comment is what I was thinking of when watching the video - how to reprogram your cells to do something else - specifically Mystique.

Or maybe a closer analogy would be nanobots. The hardware is all (relatively) the same, but it’s the software that makes them perform different functions.

Mrianas sense of humour must be on that space probe on Mars.

Maybe it's your sense of seriousness that is way out in space. If you believe anything that comes out of the Fox bile machine, you are completely daft.
Mark Levin
Instead of looking at electric language, why doesn't he look at the chemical language which is much more diverse and applicable to bio-chemical organisms,

Check out the proven language of bacteria, one of the oldest organisms on earth. It is name “Quorum Sensing” and is a real communication tool for intra-species communication and inter-species communication. Bacteria are bi-lingual!!

I’m familiar with her amazing talks. But, I don’t think the one excludes the other.

It ain’t like we’ve nailed the details.

No, it’s on Venus about ready to ban you.

ccv3 said: Maybe it’s the current patterns that tell the microtubules what to do?
I'm sure EM is very much involved. The Urey-Miller experiment proved that. But as I understand it, Abiogenesis was fundamentally an evolutionary chemical process. IMO, biology is biochemically based using EM as energy source. And as cellular organisms like bacteria are biochemical organisms, I have a hard time converting electricity into a biochemical organism. However I totally agree the microtubules are electrical processors. while they are made of biochemicals, their patterns clearly are designed to process EM data. That's why I rather associate EM processes and patterns in microtubules, with the emergence of sentience, rather than the biochemistry of life.

Hence Bassler’s proofs of non-sentient biochemical communication vie quorum sensing.

I’m familiar with her amazing talks. But, I don’t think the one excludes the other.

It ain’t like we’ve nailed the details.

I agree, undoubtedly both chemistry and electricity played vital roles in the emergence of life and eventual sentience.

[quote=“citizenschallengev3, post:1, topic:7885”]

Folds, within folds of cumulative harmonic complexity flowing down the cascade of time. Or?

YESSSS!!!

I use David Bohm’s term “guiding equation”, a Mathematical term.

Bohmian Mechanics

First published Fri Oct 26, 2001; substantive revision Mon Jun 14, 2021

Bohmian mechanics, which is also called the de Broglie-Bohm theory, the pilot-wave model, and the causal interpretation of quantum mechanics, is a version of quantum theory discovered by Louis de Broglie in 1927 and rediscovered by David Bohm in 1952. It is the simplest example of what is often called a hidden variables interpretation of quantum mechanics.

In Bohmian mechanics a system of particles is described in part by its wave function, evolving, as usual, according to Schrödinger’s equation. However, the wave function provides only a partial description of the system. This description is completed by the specification of the actual positions of the particles. **The latter evolve according to the “guiding equation**”, which expresses the velocities of the particles in terms of the wave function.

Thus, in Bohmian mechanics the configuration of a system of particles evolves via a deterministic motion choreographed by the wave function. In particular, when a particle is sent into a two-slit apparatus, the slit through which it passes and its location upon arrival on the photographic plate are completely determined by its initial position and wave function.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-bohm/

The interesting part about microtubules is that all paths of inquiry about “mitosis” lead to microtubules and their related organelles. They use the “guiding equation” to translate the electrochemics of the chromosomes and copy that information and when completed induce the separation of the newly formed cell.

It almost intelligent in it’s functions, but of course it is only quasi-intelligent and merely follows the universal guiding equation generated by what Bohm symbolized as the Pilot Wave Theory. (Bohmian Mechanics)